Kia Forum banner

81 - 99 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Pilot
77 Posts
Does anyone know if the 2018 still has these sunroof problems or has Kia corrected it (or said there is no problem !!)

·
Registered
17' Sorento SXL V6 AWD, 14' Mazda6 GT w/ Tech, 16 Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory, 14' BMW S1000R
835 Posts
Does anyone know if the 2018 still has these sunroof problems or has Kia corrected it (or said there is no problem !!)

2018 is just launched. How naive one can be! Stop asking redundant questions and buy one already. You spend so much time lurking here. By now you should have figured out this problem plagued 2016s mostly.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento
3 Posts
I just ran into the same issue on my 2016 Sorento SX. I picked up the car yesterday (new from the dealer, had been sitting there, and on clearout) and had the car for about 20 minutes total, it worked on the way home, but when my wife was testing it out in the driveway, it wouldn't close.

I understand there is a TSB previously posted and had already dropped the car back at the dealer to have it corrected, but I'm wondering if there are any Canadian owners who have been successful in getting the TSB used to take the appropriate action?

I picked up the car today and asked what they had done to correct the issue, and they said it was 'dry' and needed to be cleaned and lubricated. It's working now, but I'm under the impression that it will only be fine for a little while unless the repair documented in the TSB is followed. I discussed this with the service rep and he was telling me that there was nothing listed from Kia Canada and we don't get all of the service bulletins that the US gets. So I'm under the impression that this won't get corrected properly and I'll need to keep going back for the same issue.

What is the best way to go about getting the repair done using the US TSB so that I don't need to keep going back?

Thanks, hoping the first day with my Sorento isn't representative of the future!

·
Registered
Kia Sorento SX+ 2016
97 Posts
I just ran into the same issue on my 2016 Sorento SX. I picked up the car yesterday (new from the dealer, had been sitting there, and on clearout) and had the car for about 20 minutes total, it worked on the way home, but when my wife was testing it out in the driveway, it wouldn't close.

I understand there is a TSB previously posted and had already dropped the car back at the dealer to have it corrected, but I'm wondering if there are any Canadian owners who have been successful in getting the TSB used to take the appropriate action?

I picked up the car today and asked what they had done to correct the issue, and they said it was 'dry' and needed to be cleaned and lubricated. It's working now, but I'm under the impression that it will only be fine for a little while unless the repair documented in the TSB is followed. I discussed this with the service rep and he was telling me that there was nothing listed from Kia Canada and we don't get all of the service bulletins that the US gets. So I'm under the impression that this won't get corrected properly and I'll need to keep going back for the same issue.

What is the best way to go about getting the repair done using the US TSB so that I don't need to keep going back?

Thanks, hoping the first day with my Sorento isn't representative of the future!
Yes, I'm Canadian and I had it done on mine. In fact the dealer had the brackets in stock and did it same day I brought it in.

I don't use it much... kind of scared to actually. But I think it's still fine.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento
3 Posts
Yes, I'm Canadian and I had it done on mine. In fact the dealer had the brackets in stock and did it same day I brought it in.

I don't use it much... kind of scared to actually. But I think it's still fine.
Did you have to do anything special to get them to use/find the TSB? Sure I can give it to them, but it sounds like if it's not provided by Kia Canada they won't want to use it. Or maybe I need to go to another dealer.

I'm fine with it for now, but I'll start insisting that it be fixed properly when it happens again.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Sorento EX+ V6 AWD
196 Posts
I got the same problem on my Sorento SX 2016, it was caused by a technician who put the wrong lubricant, another tech in another dealer put to good lubricant and now it's working fine !

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX T- turbo
2 Posts
2016 KIA Sorento SX-T Panoramic Sunroof won't close.

Thank you ! I was looking for one of those bulletins to show my dealer.

Fred

·
Registered
Sorento 2016
7 Posts
I had this same problem a few months ago! Opened the sunroof and noticed the shade got halfway stuck. Opened the window and it opened fine but I couldn't get it to close! I tried holding down the button, going backwards and forwards, restarting the car, everything and finally it crawled to a close.

Husband took it in for me. They couldn't duplicate the issue of course but said the lube was dried up. I could pay $150 for them to fix it or have my husband do it. It seemed more of an electrical problem to me than a lube problem. I haven't had him fix it yet and I haven't tried opening it anymore either.
Lift lever feet was replaced for this issue for my car.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6 AWD
14 Posts
Ok I read through this entire thread and the TSB. Does anyone know where to get the special lube? Is it something I can get a small can or tube of at NAPA?

I wonder if this is the same stuff https://cnc-specialty-store.com/grease-lubrication/kluberpaste-46-mr-401-60g-005108-213?zenid=abf433cb7b2761a42d63907ee57fbb93

On the TSB the lube is called Beta R 47 MR 401

My sunroof has only had one episode of not wanting to close but eventually did after going back and forth a few times. It was very cold outside when this happened. Right on Lake Erie in Cleveland.

I have successfully open and closed it at least ten times now but it does seem slow.

Pretty sure I can't have it taken care of under warranty since my 2016 was first sold in APR 15 and has 21500 miles on it so I plan to service it myself.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,389 Posts
Not sure what TSB you saw. The final version of the TSB indicates use of a Kluber G 47-401 KR grease, Kia P/N 81685-C5000FFF. That product advertised at the cnc store isn't an exact match.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,389 Posts
Worst case they say no. It's worth a try. But as noted in the TSB, 1 container should suffice for 30 jobs, so they'd have to find something to put it into for you.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento
5 Posts
Tilt OK?

Looking to buy a '16 Sorento and, obviously, this thread is creeping me out a bit. Having said that, I hardly EVER open my sunroofs. Maybe once or twice a year. I do, however, open the shade and tilt for ventilation in all but freezing weather. Am I correct in assuming that the issue is only in regards to fully opening the sunroof?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6 , 2012 Soul !
681 Posts
Looking to buy a '16 Sorento and, obviously, this thread is creeping me out a bit. Having said that, I hardly EVER open my sunroofs. Maybe once or twice a year. I do, however, open the shade and tilt for ventilation in all but freezing weather. Am I correct in assuming that the issue is only in regards to fully opening the sunroof?
Yes, that is correct.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento
33 Posts
Any Canadians have any luck getting this repaired under warranty? I've already gone through the clean and lube song and dance and know the issue is more than that.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX+ 3.3L V6 (red)
345 Posts
My dealer here in Edmonton said no, it's a wear and tear item not covered by warranty. When I mentioned the TSB, he said it covers US Sorentos, not Canadian Sorentos.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,389 Posts
Wear and tear my dyin' patoot. It doesn't matter where the TSB originates or where it's valid. ALL a TSB does is provide advise for techs on issues to save them diagnostic and repair time and to get it done the way the company wants it done.

IF your car is still under a bumper to bumper warranty, advise this dealer that he needs to demonstrate in the Kia warranty when and where it was that they added defective sun roof parts to the 'wear and tear' category. Better yet, which of the three Edmonton Kia outfits is this, anyway? I'd start making use of one of the other two in town, that's for sure.

The worst dealer experiences we hear about in this and other boards for Kia and Hyundai seem to come from north of the parallel.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento SX+ 2016
97 Posts
Any Canadians have any luck getting this repaired under warranty? I've already gone through the clean and lube song and dance and know the issue is more than that.
I had no problem getting it repaired at no cost. They had the parts in stock and fixed within the day.

I personally have had a wonderful experience with the service department for the place I purchased my Sorento. The sales experience is a whole other story.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento
33 Posts
I had no problem getting it repaired at no cost. They had the parts in stock and fixed within the day.

I personally have had a wonderful experience with the service department for the place I purchased my Sorento. The sales experience is a whole other story.
That's great news! Did you bring up the American TSB, or was it simply a matter of "My sunroof doesn't open properly" and they fixed it for you?

Thanks!

81 - 99 of 125 Posts