Kia Forum banner

121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
'18 GMC Terrain, '20 Ford Fusion SE, '00 BMW Z3 2.3, '21 Honda Civic EX
112 Posts
my vote also goes to they don't want to do it but if you pay a crazy price they will, they might even send it out to someone else.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,830 Posts
I'd pick up the two parts from Kia and a tube of their 'special' lube, take the whole lot to a decent mechanic along with the TSB that explains how to deal with it, and let the independent shop have a go at doing it the way Kia recommends.

Think about it. Even if the track were warped/bent and had to be replaced, why on earth would anyone replace the glass panel? You're getting quoted the entire assembly+ from the dealer. You're getting hosed there, friend.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima SX-T
8 Posts
Thanks! Just saw someone posted that TSB up earlier in the thread. This thread is gettin so long its gettin hard to sift thru. $150.00 for the Kia lube, must be real good stuff. :oops:

All the discussion on panoroofs was lookin at mine and it needed a little maintenance clean and lube too. A lot of dust and some pine needles in the gutters. No pine trees around me. Cleaned up now just waitin on lubes in the mail.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima SX-T
8 Posts
Thanks TSB help much. Cleaned up really good and lubed. Seals start to get hard to treated them also.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento EX
1 Posts
Yeah, here it is again for any who started late. Third iteration.
To the recent poster with the dealer with the crazy prices, the TSB specifically states "Do NOT replace the sunroof assembly for this concern."
I have these same issues (sunroof not closing, loud banging noise while moving, and slow motion) on my 2012 Kia Sorento EX. This issue doesn't just apply to 2014 to 2016. I've had this issue for the past three years and just don't use the sunroof anymore out of fear of the glass breaking. This information is great though if I want to one day get into the mechanics and lube the track or change the lift devices. (doubtful, car has a 194000 miles on it). Anyway, just my two sense on the years effected by this issue....very disappointing.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento EX+ 3.3 V6
4 Posts
Quick update: So had it all fixed for under $700 by a family friend, he changed the track for the shade which was cracked but did not solve the issue (he was surprised track was made of plastic) and I believe a motor which solved my issues (it was a friend of my father-in-law so I didn't deal directly with the mechanic) I will see if I can find out exactly what part number was changed. The sun shade moves like a hot knife through butter, top glass is still a little noisy but I plan on greasing it regularly and avoiding too much use, the shade is really all I care about.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Sorrento EX, Dallas, TX
1 Posts
Does anyone know if the 2018 still has these sunroof problems or has Kia corrected it (or said there is no problem !!)
Just experienced this today in 2018 Kia Sorrento EX. Can not get the roof to close.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL AWD
237 Posts
2018 is just launched. How naive one can be! Stop asking redundant questions and buy one already. You spend so much time lurking here. By now you should have figured out this problem plagued 2016s mostly.
Not really a positive reply to someone who is thinking of buying a Sorento and wonders whether to get a trim with the sun roof. You do not add anything to this discussion.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,830 Posts
Not really a positive reply to someone who is thinking of buying a Sorento and wonders whether to get a trim with the sun roof. You do not add anything to this discussion.
Not sure replying to a post from September 2017 is going to do much, either. The info posted was at least correct. Problem not noted for 2018.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio SX
9 Posts
Mine does the same. Live in Nova Scotia, Canada. Winter it seems to be worse. Have 2016 sorento ex.
Alot of clicking as it's closing. All that I do, is give it a helping hand when closing. Put my fingers up there and help it shut.
New to the Sorento about 2 months ago.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento SX AWD w/Technology Package
29 Posts
Not sure how much value this may add, but as I have the dealer do my regular maintenance (they are very competitively priced in this discipline) , i also have them inspect and lube the guides, tracks, and make any required adjustments. Every oil change. I think they charge about $20 to do this. I used to have time to do this stuff myself but being a dad takes priority, so I farm it out now.

Bodyweapons, I hope you got resolution to your sunroof jam issues! Seems that if things get out of alignment or aren't properly lubricated it can be a real headache.

121 - 132 of 132 Posts