Kia Forum banner

61 - 80 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forte5
114 Posts
They did warn me that each time stuff is taken apart, it doesn't quite go back together exactly as it was before, and doing that twice doubles the effect.
I don't work at a dealership, but I did install car stereos as a side job when I was younger, so I took apart my fair share of interiors. In general, I agree with that statement, but a lot also depends on the type of vehicle, how old it is, and how good the person doing the work is at their job. It doesn't take much to put an almost invisible bend in a trim piece that will cause it to make an annoying buzzing sound at 2000 RPM for the remainder of the vehicles life, just as an example. It's more noticeable in older vehicles with aged plastics and brittle fasteners, but can happen to new ones too.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo AWD (sold)
808 Posts
The nice thing about the newer vehicles is that the retaining clips will break before the trim will.....in most cases. You can blame flat rate for most of the damage that is done at dealerships.

I had the door handles replaced on my Sorento and they broke around a dozen of the retaining clips and didn't bother replacing them. I pulled all 4 door panels and replaced them myself.

·
Registered
17' Sorento SXL V6 AWD, 14' Mazda6 GT w/ Tech, 16 Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory, 14' BMW S1000R
835 Posts
Mine doesn't. Touchwood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX, 2011 Optima LX
79 Posts
No problems so far here with my 2017 SX but now I feel compelled to run into the California redwood forest and touch every tree possible.

·
Registered
'17 Sorento EX V6
82 Posts
Just wondering if the 2017 Sorento still has an issue with a sunroofs.
I don't think there's enough people on this forum with experience to say for sure (though that Florida Guy sure loves charts, maybe he'll take on a new cause!). But it seems that nearly everyone with the sunroof problems had them on the 2016 models. I really wanted that sunroof, but since it was a standalone package on the EX V6 (along with the "quirky" automatic cruise control type features), I went without it and don't regret it.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL-Turbo
157 Posts
Just wondering if the 2017 Sorento still has an issue with a sunroofs.
I have a 2016 with the sunroof no problems whatsoever. I test it every month or so works perfectly keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento UM 2.2 CRDI SX
14 Posts
[Fixed] Sunshade Failure

Previous: http://www.kia-forums.com/1641114-post60.html

Turns out that the sunshade roller had somehow snapped out of its place; the dealership simply re-installed it and it's all good again!

It is one of those things - probably 2hrs. to take apart the roof liner, under 5 mins to fix, and another 2hrs. or so to put the roof liner back in.

I dropped off the vehicle at the dealership just before 9am in the morning, and I believe that they started working on it almost immediately, and it was ready for me to pick it up by 6:30pm that same evening.

I reported the problem just before the vehicle was a year old, so I didn't have to pay a cent, entire job covered by the warranty. Not sure how much this would cost if it weren't covered by the warranty, because it sounds like a pretty labor intensive job.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento EX V6 Premium + Touring Pack
40 Posts
I don't have this problem yet with my 16 Sorento, is this sunroof covered for one year? My one year is approaching, shall I be concerned with anything? Shall I lubricate it regularly?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6 , 2012 Soul !
681 Posts
Sunroof is 5 years / 60k mi. If your manufacture date doesn't fall in the range in the TSB you should be good as you have the updated parts already.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento SX+ 2016
97 Posts
I just had this issue fixed by my local dealer. They had the parts in stock and did it the next day for me. All covered under warranty and i'm currently at 35,000 km's.

It now seems to move faster now.

The irony is that I have maybe used it 20 times in total and for it to fail now seems quite odd. I also don't live in a dusty area, so i don't think that is the problem either.

Has anyone had a re-occurance of the issue have they had the TSB fix?

·
Registered
17' Sorento SXL V6 AWD, 14' Mazda6 GT w/ Tech, 16 Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory, 14' BMW S1000R
835 Posts
I am assuming the sunroof is covered for 5 years. Do TSBs apply beyond the warranty period like recalls do?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6 , 2012 Soul !
681 Posts
I am assuming the sunroof is covered for 5 years. Do TSBs apply beyond the warranty period like recalls do?
TSBs are only done at no charge during the warranty period. Owners aren't notified of TSBs.

Recalls are safety issues which is why they are covered for life of the car. You will receive notification of a recall.

·
Registered
2016 Soul +
1 Posts
SO glad I found this thread!

Hey everyone,

I've joined this forum looking for some help regarding the panoramic sunroof on my 2016 Soul + with Primo Package. I didn't have much luck scouring the Soul forums, but it looks like I found my answer here.

I purchased the car brand new in January 2016. I searched specifically for a + trim with the Primo package specifically because I wanted a sunroof (and I'm a driver that uses it) and this would come in at a lower MSRP than an ! Fully loaded. Fast forward into about a year of ownership and around spring time this year (2017), I noticed that the closing operation of the sunroof was becoming substantially slower than normal. I took it to the local garage I go to for my oil changes and asked them to look. They cleaned and lubricated the tracks and told me it was somewhat better but still a little slow and that I should take it to the dealer. The sunroof was totally operational however, just somewhat slow when closing. Over the following few weeks, the sunroof would close progressively slower under average and normal operating conditions. I use it fully open a few times during the week, but usually use the "vent" feature more frequently. I don't open/close the roof going highway speeds either and have never forced the motor. There were also no visual obstructions impeding on the tracks.

June 26th, after I pull into the parking lot of the apartment complex I live in, I go to close the roof. It's now pulling closed significantly slower and just up until it hits the wind net, it stops closing and it slides itself back open at normal speed. Tried closing again, same issue. At this time all the service departments at the nearby dealers are closed. They advise me not to force it shut as it could further damage. I call Kia USA and there was little they could advise me of, other than there's no manual way to close the roof. I call the service dept at the dealer I bought it from (30+ miles from my home) and they tell me the manager is gone but advised me to Saran Wrap the roof for the overnight. No rain was forecasted so I bought Saran Wrap and completely covered it just in case until I can bring it in the following day. It poured overnight but the Wrap held up somewhat well.

I called the service dept the following day and tell them of the situation. They told me "we don't have appointments today" and I adamantly responded that I'm bringing the car in as I don't have a choice nor a garage to keep it in to protect it from the elements while the roof is stuck. Once at the dealer, they tell me that they'll look at t but if the issue found is not something covered under warranty, I'm liable for the $120 diagnostic fee. Ok fine I sign the authorization and the dealer shuttle takes me to my job. A few hours later i get a call from the manager stating that the tracks needed to be lubricated and cleaned and I will have to pay the $120. The dealer shuttle comes back to pick me up and go back to get the car. I speak with the service manager and explained that my local garage did just this a couple of months prior. He explained that because the panoramic roofs have tracks on the exterior, they're subjected to all of the elements and need this kind of Maintenence. He noted there's a "1 year period" for free adjustments but because cleaning and lubricating the tracks is considered Maintenence, it's not under warranty. It makes sense so I pay, despite everyone in my life claiming that's BS. Before I leave the dealer I inquire about what kind of lubrication they used. The Manager said it's a Kia product that only they have access to and that's what it should be maintained with. OK.

Fast forward to August 17th, a few days ago, also my birthday, less than two months later, the same thing happens. I pull into my lot, attempt to close the roof, gets most of the way there, very laboriously, stops by the net and opens back up again at normal speed and won't close. Leading up to this, I noticed the closing of the roof was starting to go slower again but would open just fine at normal speeds. I didn't have the time to take it back and fight with the dealer though. So when this happened again, I call the service dept again annoyed beyond belief and of course they're closed. I tried Saran wrapping it again but it was supposed to pour that night (which it did) and not wanting to risk ruining the car I called the local dealer and explained the ongoing situation and they offered to keep the car in their service bay overnight. They were able to manually close the glass pane and I have an appointment scheduled for Wednesday this week for the original dealer who I already paid to look at this issue again. It seems like the sunroofs of 2016 are a problem for Kia in general...

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX V6 AWD
641 Posts
Hey everyone,

I've joined this forum looking for some help regarding the panoramic sunroof on my 2016 Soul + with Primo Package. I didn't have much luck scouring the Soul forums, but it looks like I found my answer here.

I purchased the car brand new in January 2016. I searched specifically for a + trim with the Primo package specifically because I wanted a sunroof (and I'm a driver that uses it) and this would come in at a lower MSRP than an ! Fully loaded. Fast forward into about a year of ownership and around spring time this year (2017), I noticed that the closing operation of the sunroof was becoming substantially slower than normal. I took it to the local garage I go to for my oil changes and asked them to look. They cleaned and lubricated the tracks and told me it was somewhat better but still a little slow and that I should take it to the dealer. The sunroof was totally operational however, just somewhat slow when closing. Over the following few weeks, the sunroof would close progressively slower under average and normal operating conditions. I use it fully open a few times during the week, but usually use the "vent" feature more frequently. I don't open/close the roof going highway speeds either and have never forced the motor. There were also no visual obstructions impeding on the tracks.

June 26th, after I pull into the parking lot of the apartment complex I live in, I go to close the roof. It's now pulling closed significantly slower and just up until it hits the wind net, it stops closing and it slides itself back open at normal speed. Tried closing again, same issue. At this time all the service departments at the nearby dealers are closed. They advise me not to force it shut as it could further damage. I call Kia USA and there was little they could advise me of, other than there's no manual way to close the roof. I call the service dept at the dealer I bought it from (30+ miles from my home) and they tell me the manager is gone but advised me to Saran Wrap the roof for the overnight. No rain was forecasted so I bought Saran Wrap and completely covered it just in case until I can bring it in the following day. It poured overnight but the Wrap held up somewhat well.

I called the service dept the following day and tell them of the situation. They told me "we don't have appointments today" and I adamantly responded that I'm bringing the car in as I don't have a choice nor a garage to keep it in to protect it from the elements while the roof is stuck. Once at the dealer, they tell me that they'll look at t but if the issue found is not something covered under warranty, I'm liable for the $120 diagnostic fee. Ok fine I sign the authorization and the dealer shuttle takes me to my job. A few hours later i get a call from the manager stating that the tracks needed to be lubricated and cleaned and I will have to pay the $120. The dealer shuttle comes back to pick me up and go back to get the car. I speak with the service manager and explained that my local garage did just this a couple of months prior. He explained that because the panoramic roofs have tracks on the exterior, they're subjected to all of the elements and need this kind of Maintenence. He noted there's a "1 year period" for free adjustments but because cleaning and lubricating the tracks is considered Maintenence, it's not under warranty. It makes sense so I pay, despite everyone in my life claiming that's BS. Before I leave the dealer I inquire about what kind of lubrication they used. The Manager said it's a Kia product that only they have access to and that's what it should be maintained with. OK.

Fast forward to August 17th, a few days ago, also my birthday, less than two months later, the same thing happens. I pull into my lot, attempt to close the roof, gets most of the way there, very laboriously, stops by the net and opens back up again at normal speed and won't close. Leading up to this, I noticed the closing of the roof was starting to go slower again but would open just fine at normal speeds. I didn't have the time to take it back and fight with the dealer though. So when this happened again, I call the service dept again annoyed beyond belief and of course they're closed. I tried Saran wrapping it again but it was supposed to pour that night (which it did) and not wanting to risk ruining the car I called the local dealer and explained the ongoing situation and they offered to keep the car in their service bay overnight. They were able to manually close the glass pane and I have an appointment scheduled for Wednesday this week for the original dealer who I already paid to look at this issue again. It seems like the sunroofs of 2016 are a problem for Kia in general...
WOW, really hope you get this fixed. Those are soooo nice to have. I wish I had one. They are unbelievable and just huge. It's such a joy to have the sun-roof open. That issue you are having will get resolved. Other people have had to have the same exact thing going on all over North America and beyond. Kia customer satisfaction ratings are through the roof , so don't worry, it WILL get figured out. You can also go to the dealership general manager and they will move things along very quickly, trust me. They don't want stories about incompetence falling back on them. And besides, that's what general managers are for, among other things.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento
2 Posts
Wow. Im having same problem with sunroof. Hope my dealership knows about this TSB. Bought preowned with 52k miles. Bought it 3 weeks ago and my car was in the shop 3 times already. Condensation in the tail light, parking sensor not working, and now my third brake light has condensation and sunroof wont close. I had to hold close button and glide the sunroof with other hand to close it. Im getting same clicking noise too. Hope they dont pull lube BS on me. My dealership dont stock parts so i have to take atleast 2 trips to dealership for each problem. Also techs leave at 4pm.......so early.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL Turbo with Technology Package
3 Posts
So I have the same issue as everyone else...slow to close and then reopening. Took it to the dealer and showed the Service Manager the TSB. He said they had the parts in and could do the repair the next day. So I thought great! Well to make a long story short, after taking the car down there (45 minutes to our closest dealer), they supposedly are taking care of the repair while my wife is shopping. When she gets back, they tell her that some rep at the dealership was told by some other rep at Kia that they weren't authorized to do the repair and they just lubed it up like the others have said on here.

The sunroof does work, but I don't understand how they can just ignore a TSB that states: "This bulletin provides the procedure to repair a panoramic sunroof that exhibits a slow to close condition and/or abnormal noise when closing, on some 2016MY Sorento (UMa) vehicles produced from October 27, 2014 through January 23, 2016. Follow the procedure in this bulletin to clean, lubricate, and replace the rear tilt levers to correct the concern. Do NOT replace the sunroof assembly for this concern."

Does anyone have a success story with the dealer replacing the tilt levers without any hassle? Also, does anyone know if the replacement tilt levers are the same as what is being replaced or are they made differently with stronger material, etc.?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX V6 AWD
641 Posts
So I have the same issue as everyone else...slow to close and then reopening. Took it to the dealer and showed the Service Manager the TSB. He said they had the parts in and could do the repair the next day. So I thought great! Well to make a long story short, after taking the car down there (45 minutes to our closest dealer), they supposedly are taking care of the repair while my wife is shopping. When she gets back, they tell her that some rep at the dealership was told by some other rep at Kia that they weren't authorized to do the repair and they just lubed it up like the others have said on here.

The sunroof does work, but I don't understand how they can just ignore a TSB that states: "This bulletin provides the procedure to repair a panoramic sunroof that exhibits a slow to close condition and/or abnormal noise when closing, on some 2016MY Sorento (UMa) vehicles produced from October 27, 2014 through January 23, 2016. Follow the procedure in this bulletin to clean, lubricate, and replace the rear tilt levers to correct the concern. Do NOT replace the sunroof assembly for this concern."

Does anyone have a success story with the dealer replacing the tilt levers without any hassle? Also, does anyone know if the replacement tilt levers are the same as what is being replaced or are they made differently with stronger material, etc.?
Service writers and service managers are always reticent to share what they really know, and at times unwilling to take on warranty work that consumes a lot of time. They make far less on those types of repair and typically the mechanics & body shop folks make less too. So when they have to approach a mechanic with one of these types of things, they get growls, and so it's probably not a fun position to be in but they need to do what's right for the customer, and many times they don't , it's a completely defensive position they take in an effort to "win" the warranty battle. Then there are other issue topics like the dealership drilling holes in your front bumper and then telling you to "go gets some touch up paint".

61 - 80 of 125 Posts