Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL V6 FWD
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is just a recommendation to those with sunroofs to use/test them regularly. Mine stuck open 4 months ago, took it to dealer and they said the lubricants were dry and they repaired. When I left the dealer...it worked.

Fast forward to today, I opened sunroof for maybe the first time since its repair. It would not shut. It would move really slow to close, stop, then re-open.

Took back to dealer, and they said KIA is having problems with the 2016 sunroofs nationwide, and they have been instructed to re-lube...but there may be other sunroof issues. They sent a request in to KIA thinking they may have to replace the entire sunroof mechanism.

Until they get back to me, the service manager said if it sticks open again, you can force it to close by pushing through where it is jamming (although I'm not comfortable with that solution, even in the short term). At least it's closed for now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is just a recommendation to those with sunroofs to use/test them regularly. Mine stuck open 4 months ago, took it to dealer and they said the lubricants were dry and they repaired. When I left the dealer...it worked.

Fast forward to today, I opened sunroof for maybe the first time since its repair. It would not shut. It would move really slow to close, stop, then re-open.

Took back to dealer, and they said KIA is having problems with the 2016 sunroofs nationwide, and they have been instructed to re-lube...but there may be other sunroof issues. They sent a request in to KIA thinking they may have to replace the entire sunroof mechanism.

Until they get back to me, the service manager said if it sticks open again, you can force it to close by pushing through where it is jamming (although I'm not comfortable with that solution, even in the short term). At least it's closed for now.
Thank you so much for sharing this! Is yours the paromatric moon roof?

·
Registered
15 K900, 13 Sportage
130 Posts
The issue is the motor and cables are binding up. We have replaced 3 of them in the past month. Here in South Carolina apparently it's sunroof season. The issue is the new cables do not separate from the frame that holds the panoramic glasses in place. The frame cables motor and glass have had to be replaced its about 6k every time we do this repair.. Fun stuff!!!!

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo AWD (sold)
804 Posts
The issue is the motor and cables are binding up. We have replaced 3 of them in the past month. Here in South Carolina apparently it's sunroof season. The issue is the new cables do not separate from the frame that holds the panoramic glasses in place. The frame cables motor and glass have had to be replaced its about 6k every time we do this repair.. Fun stuff!!!!
Nice! How many hours do you get for this job and can you make or beat the time? Can the repair be done without it looking like it was repaired? Whenever I'm up there drying the roof off I ponder these scenarios.:grin:

Ah Oh, I just wish Canada does not have this problem. LOL.
There you go, something to really lose sleep over now.:unsure:

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX AWD
3 Posts
Sunroof Jam

I had this happen a few months ago....Dealer couldn't replicate the problem, but I never open it now past front seats:(

·
Registered
2012 Optima EX, 2016 Sorento SX Turbo
30 Posts
I had this happen a few months ago....Dealer couldn't replicate the problem, but I never open it now past front seats:(
In the US the 2016 Sorento sunroof opens front to back?? Wow. Never knew that.

For the record, mine has jammed up before and I am in Canada. Thank you OP.

W

·
Registered
Formerly Owned: 2002 Sportage, 2012 Optima EX and 2016 Sorento SX Currently Own: 2016 Sedona SX
99 Posts
I had this same problem a few months ago! Opened the sunroof and noticed the shade got halfway stuck. Opened the window and it opened fine but I couldn't get it to close! I tried holding down the button, going backwards and forwards, restarting the car, everything and finally it crawled to a close.

Husband took it in for me. They couldn't duplicate the issue of course but said the lube was dried up. I could pay $150 for them to fix it or have my husband do it. It seemed more of an electrical problem to me than a lube problem. I haven't had him fix it yet and I haven't tried opening it anymore either.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
367 Posts

Never heard about that on previous versions of the Sorento. So why to change it on 2016 for something worst ? Great ingeneer idea !

·
Registered
15 K900, 13 Sportage
130 Posts
Yeah I know those shady ingeneers. Hopefully in 2017 they actually have an engineer design the sunroof assemblies

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona, 2012 Kia Soul, 2016 Kia Sorento
34 Posts
Stuff like this is why I did NOT get the sunroof..... I hope they figure it out though... I do still think the panoramic glass is cool as hell

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX
93 Posts
I had this same problem a few months ago! Opened the sunroof and noticed the shade got halfway stuck. Opened the window and it opened fine but I couldn't get it to close! I tried holding down the button, going backwards and forwards, restarting the car, everything and finally it crawled to a close.

Husband took it in for me. They couldn't duplicate the issue of course but said the lube was dried up. I could pay $150 for them to fix it or have my husband do it. It seemed more of an electrical problem to me than a lube problem. I haven't had him fix it yet and I haven't tried opening it anymore either.
Any idea on why this wasn't covered under warranty? If its a maintenance item it should be listed in the manual and how often the 'service' interval should be. Doesn't seem like lube should be dried up on a vehicle less than a year old.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX 2.0T
226 Posts
Are there any instructions out there from Kia for lubing the sunroof mechanism? For instance, where to lube and what lube to use? I haven't had any issues yet but have only opened it a few times. I'm not a big SR user but I definitely want it to close when I do open it.

·
Registered
Formerly Owned: 2002 Sportage, 2012 Optima EX and 2016 Sorento SX Currently Own: 2016 Sedona SX
99 Posts
Any idea on why this wasn't covered under warranty? If its a maintenance item it should be listed in the manual and how often the 'service' interval should be. Doesn't seem like lube should be dried up on a vehicle less than a year old.
The guy told me specifically that it doesn't fall under warranty work. And that what it could have been covered under expired at, I think it was, 12k miles.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Are there any instructions out there from Kia for lubing the sunroof mechanism? For instance, where to lube and what lube to use? I haven't had any issues yet but have only opened it a few times. I'm not a big SR user but I definitely want it to close when I do open it.
When my husband went to pick up the car for me, they told him he needed to purchase their special white lithium lubricant and to "lube the rails". He didn't purchase it and didn't ask the price either.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX
93 Posts
The guy told me specifically that it doesn't fall under warranty work. And that what it could have been covered under expired at, I think it was, 12k miles.
If it were me (And it may be in the future I just purchased my 2016 with Sunroof a month ago) I'd be escalating to Kia Motors. If its a maintenance issue it should be listed in the manual as something that is required.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Are you saying that, even after you replace it, it'll need to be fixed again every 6k miles?? Ugh! I was going to push the issue further with my service department but sounds like I'll just wait until maybe they determine what needs to be done to fix it for good.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts