Kia Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SXL
1 Posts
2013 Kia Optima in Snow White Pearl. Started about a year ago. I can't even wash the car now without having more paint chip off! The pictures are just a small sampling. It's a shame because I LOVE my car but it's not looking very pretty without paint!

Attachments

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,454 Posts
Looks like Toyota have acknowledged the issue and working with their customers.

·
Registered
2019 kia forte
1 Posts
I Bought a white 2019 KIA forte almost brand new around July of 2019 my bumpers paint began peeling. February of 2020 was when I thought it started getting pretty bad. But obviously you can see the difference to now. Kia seriously needs to get the paint fixed!
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Automotive parking light Car Tire Wheel Vehicle

Vehicle Tire Car Automotive parking light Hood

·
Registered
2015 KIA Optima EX
1 Posts
2015 KIA Optima EX snow white pearl paint. Similar to previous postings large area of paint delimitation. Called KIA customer service and was told that this paint issue "is recognized" for cars 2011-2014, (not my 2015) and to take the car to a KIA dealership for a diagnosis /case number, call back to customer service back with this information for referral to a district manager.

Attachments

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,454 Posts
Looks like many manufacturers have this issue - GMC in our company parking.

When addressing this with Kia, be sure to state that you believe its a "latent defect" and should not be treated under the standard paint warranty listed in your owners manual.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Tire Grille

·
Registered
134 Posts
It rained all day and when I went out the entire driver side pillar has water under the paint. It was all bubbles. I was able to push the water out as the paint popped in one spot. I put some clear over the area that popped so the wind and rain when driving doesn’t get under the paint and make it fly off but have a feeling my time is limited and the inevitable will happen to the pillars. Luckily I have watched many YouTube videos on how to repaint areas from rattle cans. Lol. It’s a spare car I used for Turo so if it’s not perfect. Oh well

·
Registered
16 Kia Sorento SXL 2.0T AWD
1 Posts
We were driving in same weather from NC to RVA. Came home with large paint delamination patches too. Very disappointing for a 2016 Sorento.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul
3 Posts
Have paint peeling off my 2014 White Kia Soul . Would like to get as many Kia owners that are having the same problem, so hopefully we all can get a new -proper paint job. This is a Latent Defect, and should not be treated under the standard paint warranty in the owners manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good day, found the post below on Facebook. Take action and file a NHTSA complaint at the link below and join the Facebook Group "KIA SORENTO SNOW WHITE PAINT PEELING CHIPPING AND DELAMINATION"

Hi there KIA friends !

I’m the maker of this page and I own a 2014 Kia Sorento that the peeling is rapidly peeling off ( or what the body shops call Delamination ) . My paint began peeling in a tiny spot I thought was a chip from a rock but rapidly began peeling all over .

Here are some steps to follow to help getting your paint fixed and paid for by KIA . We all need to file a Paint complaint with Report a Vehicle Safety Problem, Equipment Issue | NHTSA

This is extremely IMPORTANT, You will need your VIN # ** PLEASE INCLUDE THE COLOR OF YOUR KIA** The paint peeling is seriously dominate in PEARL WHITE and that needs to be addressed!! We have seen peeling in other colors as well. 🏛We want this to lead to a investigation, here is what the NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFTEY ADMINISTRATION says**👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼

* Any documentation you have related to your complaint, such as photos or a police report:

* ALL complaints are reviewed.

* Some complaints may lead to an investigation.

* Some investigations lead to recalls.

* Unverifiable complaints may be removed from searchable information.

Note: The review and investigation process MAY take a long time, but don't worry--you will be notified if there is a recall.

—————————————-
We need to include pictures📸, and dates and mileage of when this started and the progression on peeling .

This is really important!! We need to work together and get the NHTSA to recognize there is a nationwide problem . Once they have a certain number of complaints they begin to look deeper in to the problem and may force KIA to act — and recall the cars that need paint !! Let’s do it!

Next , DOCUMENTATION . Take pictures of the paint with dates and mileage — keep track of new spots that are peeling . Document any times you many have taken your KIA in for maintenance and documented your paint complaint. For example, we’re you told by your KIA dealership that your 36 month paint warranty was over ?? If so, request the maintenance record for that day. They should of noted in your paperwork that detail . If they did not but you remember asking, keep a note of that visit and list it in your documentation. Another example, have you ever gone to a private body shop to get a quote to fix peeling ? If so, get that paperwork. Of course if you have already paid for paint and have records and receipts document those into your file .

Next,

Be prepared with your documentation , have it scanned on to your computer and ready to send as attachments to KIA. ( Upload all your photos and documents )

Then, contact KIA CORPORATE AMERICA

✨1-949-468-4800 or customer service 1-800-333-4542

Tell them of your rapid Delamination and paint peeling . Include the Color of your and all the locations your paint is peeling or bubbling. I believe the ENTIRE kia needs to repainted and fixing one spot is not the solution!! This includes the top of the car and racks on top if your car has them. Mine are silver and peeling .

You will be assigned a case manage and case number. Your case manage will then direct you to your dealership or body shop for a quote.

Please keep the page updated on your progress .

Thank you !!

MOD Edit:
Removed unnecessary spaces.
Hello! Thank you for this helpful advice. Are you able to provide an update on the progress of your claim/case, and any feedback from the wider community?

We have a white 2015 Kia Sedona which, in 2018, started flaking and peeling around the tailgate widow. Although it was just outside of the 3-year warranty, Kia agreed to have that area repainted. Sadly, the same flaking and now "cracking" is present on most panels of the car. The cracking appears as a small area of what look like tool scratches, but once the cracks are present, the paint quickly delaminates. At first, we thought these might be workshop tool scratches on the hood, and asked our Kia dealership if they could have been caused in their workshop - we had not noticed them prior to our vehicle going to them for servicing. Kia insisted the scratches were not caused by them. Over the next few weeks we noticed the scratches increasing in size and appearing in other areas. Now it is clear to us that these are not scratches; they are the failure mode of the sub-standard paint over the whole of the vehicle.

I'd appreciate any up-to-date advice before we proceed with our claim. We will, or course, post more details and the results of our claim here in due course.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul
3 Posts
2013 Kia Optima in Snow White Pearl. Started about a year ago. I can't even wash the car now without having more paint chip off! The pictures are just a small sampling. It's a shame because I LOVE my car but it's not looking very pretty without paint!
I have the same issue with my wifes 2014 Kia Soul. We all need to get together, and get a class action suit going againt Kia. I have spoke with the Kia main office several times, but Im getting nowhere. Aloha

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento
1 Posts
Have the same issue with my 2016 pearl white sorento. Started on front edge of hood and now is starting on roof line at windshieldl. Went to dealer and told nothing theycan do (which I expected) contacted Kia 2x and was told "out of warranty" TFB! Just filed complaint with NHTSA.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Vehicle Tire Car Grille
Sky Astronomical object Slope Asphalt Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento 3.8L V6 AWD
1 Posts
Good day, found the post below on Facebook. Take action and file a NHTSA complaint at the link below and join the Facebook Group "KIA SORENTO SNOW WHITE PAINT PEELING CHIPPING AND DELAMINATION"

Hi there KIA friends !

I’m the maker of this page and I own a 2014 Kia Sorento that the peeling is rapidly peeling off ( or what the body shops call Delamination ) . My paint began peeling in a tiny spot I thought was a chip from a rock but rapidly began peeling all over .

Here are some steps to follow to help getting your paint fixed and paid for by KIA . We all need to file a Paint complaint with Report a Vehicle Safety Problem, Equipment Issue | NHTSA

This is extremely IMPORTANT, You will need your VIN # ** PLEASE INCLUDE THE COLOR OF YOUR KIA** The paint peeling is seriously dominate in PEARL WHITE and that needs to be addressed!! We have seen peeling in other colors as well. 🏛We want this to lead to a investigation, here is what the NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFTEY ADMINISTRATION says**👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼

* Any documentation you have related to your complaint, such as photos or a police report:

* ALL complaints are reviewed.

* Some complaints may lead to an investigation.

* Some investigations lead to recalls.

* Unverifiable complaints may be removed from searchable information.

Note: The review and investigation process MAY take a long time, but don't worry--you will be notified if there is a recall.

—————————————-
We need to include pictures📸, and dates and mileage of when this started and the progression on peeling .

This is really important!! We need to work together and get the NHTSA to recognize there is a nationwide problem . Once they have a certain number of complaints they begin to look deeper in to the problem and may force KIA to act — and recall the cars that need paint !! Let’s do it!

Next , DOCUMENTATION . Take pictures of the paint with dates and mileage — keep track of new spots that are peeling . Document any times you many have taken your KIA in for maintenance and documented your paint complaint. For example, we’re you told by your KIA dealership that your 36 month paint warranty was over ?? If so, request the maintenance record for that day. They should of noted in your paperwork that detail . If they did not but you remember asking, keep a note of that visit and list it in your documentation. Another example, have you ever gone to a private body shop to get a quote to fix peeling ? If so, get that paperwork. Of course if you have already paid for paint and have records and receipts document those into your file .

Next,

Be prepared with your documentation , have it scanned on to your computer and ready to send as attachments to KIA. ( Upload all your photos and documents )

Then, contact KIA CORPORATE AMERICA

✨1-949-468-4800 or customer service 1-800-333-4542

Tell them of your rapid Delamination and paint peeling . Include the Color of your and all the locations your paint is peeling or bubbling. I believe the ENTIRE kia needs to repainted and fixing one spot is not the solution!! This includes the top of the car and racks on top if your car has them. Mine are silver and peeling .

You will be assigned a case manage and case number. Your case manage will then direct you to your dealership or body shop for a quote.

Please keep the page updated on your progress .

Thank you !!

MOD Edit:
Removed unnecessary spaces.
I did this thank you! and I have pillar & roof problem everyone else has!
Car Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul
3 Posts
Thanks for your reply! I will follow up just like you did with NHTSA. Hopefully we will all be able to get new paint jobs. Never buying another Kia, or Hyundai . Thanks, Richard

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima SX Turbo
1 Posts
Same issues here with 2015 Kia Optima and 2016 Kia Cadenza. Both Snow White color.

Kia also refusing based on 3600mile BS warranty on known issues, who is willing to go public on this and force them to handle this issue by recall due to misrepresentation of product and using known defective material?

41 - 56 of 56 Posts