Kia Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
borrego 2012 3.0 cdi
4 Posts
Hi every1, sorry for bumping an old thread. And hello from Russian Mohave/borrego club =) sorry for my grammar.

Here we found a solution long ago with cheap replacements.
For front we use Prado 90 shocks (kayaba 341232) + oem 2881 coils. they installs without any technical upgrades in stock places. in this case lift from center of wheel to arch is 51cm (stock is 48+-)
for rear, if you want to save standard air system we use kayaba 344288 shocks + 2-3cm rubber spacers under air balloons, not to get them over pressured cos of front lift.
it this case total lift is 2-3cm from stock. + excellent driving and absorbing.

but mostly we take off stock air systems, and changing it to rear coils. imho its the best way to improve transmission. So, for this you need to change lover levels, for those ones for coils.
their part number 55210-3J000, plus 2 rubbers for coil. and a shock kayaba 344288.

In 2nd way you get totally new car =)

now the calculation for Russia.

1st way with saving rear air system.
front kayaba 341232 x 2 = 100$
front coils ome 2881 x 2 = 160$
rear kayaba 344288 x 2 = 70$
rubber levels x 2 = like 30-40$
total like 400$

2nd way with changing everything
front coils 2881 x 2 = 160$
rear kayaba 344288 = 70$
rear coils ome 2891(2) = 160$
lower levels x 2 170$
rubbers for rare coils 50$
total: 700$ for a new car =) + lift 2-3 cm around + incredible feeling from driving, keep the road like a train, no swinging (omg what is it? - google translate), no nods. (same story..)
+ descent collapse or idk how its called =)) to correct wheels geometry after lifting.

most mohave here riding with 2nd upgrade and have only best reviews.
good luck and if you have any questions please ask.

·
Registered
'16 Kia Sorento EX w/ Tech, Volvo XC90
58 Posts
Thank you Evgen. If you've additional information on the rubber spacers for the coils, part # and brand, that would be helpful.

Does Kayaba = KYB brand? I think so:

KYB Corporation (カヤバ工業株式会社 Kayaba Kogyo Kabushiki-gaisha) is a Japanese, Tokyo-based automotive company. The company's main products include shock absorbers, air suspensions, power steering systems, hydraulic pumps,

KYB 341232, part # not found on KYB US site. It does come up on Alibaba.
KYB 344288, part # not found on KYB US site. It does come up on Alibaba. Showed on a NZ supercheapautoparts site.

55210-3J000, I could find via search.

Coils 2881: https://wheelersoffroad.com/i-25490064-old-man-emu-2881-front-coil-spring-set.html?ref=search:https://wheelersoffroad.com/search.html?q=2881&go=Search $167./set

Coils 2891: https://wheelersoffroad.com/i-25490074-old-man-emu-2891-rear-coil-spring-set.html $167./set

·
Registered
borrego 2012 3.0 cdi
4 Posts
for rear coils u need 2 rubbers for each coil
553232J000 (up) and 553312B000 (down) + a lower lever for coil with saddle, because levers are different with air ones.

yes, kyb is kayaba. I do not recommend to buy Tokico shocks U3752(front) and E3740 (rear) because their quality not so good as kyb past times. They also installs in stock spaces, without any upgrades. The only reason to take Tokico is if you wont be able to get kyb. You can also use Tokico shocks with ome coils without any problems in installation.

btw i also have not found a Prado 90 shocks at your market, probably they have here different numbers.

The setup i described, the one most cheap and maximum comfortable for those money.

I know people who took 2892 coils (they are +300kg) were disappointed of too high lift and very stiff back side. they even took it off and cut 1 or 2 coils turns to make it softer. So my choice is 2891 (+150ks) is gold middle for solo driving and with baggage without any cutting.

also people have here many other setups, even full air system with front also, it cost here 2k$ aprox to make it from full stock. Front racks are build with koni in that case, they are not too tiff with air pneumatic balloons. Also people use lexus coils instead of ome, but in that case need some modernization of housing pads. so not worth also.

and 1 more, in case of full upgrade u will need to move a bit rear brakes hose mounting, because with new coils your wheel way with hanging will be much more longer than in stock, like 2 times longer, and it can break breaks hoses.

sorry for my english.

·
Registered
borrego 2012 3.0 cdi
4 Posts
you can even use those front shocks from KYB and Tokico with stock coils, in case they are not too tired. and even then you will feel the great difference in driving and absorbing.
But the main role plays rear transmition. The most great result you will get only with good coils and full upgrade. But even small modifications no matter which will improve a lot, compared to stock.

·
Registered
'16 Kia Sorento EX w/ Tech, Volvo XC90
58 Posts
Your English a very good. Thanks for the info. If there were part numbers and perhaps pictures of the rubber pieces, it could help

·
Registered
borrego 2012 3.0 cdi
4 Posts
so there are 2 ways of upgrade

1st) you change front shock absorber + front coil, and only rare shock absorber with saving rare pneumatic air balloon system. In this case you will need to install 2 rubbers under balloons to compensate the lift from front. They installs on the lower levers. here is tutrorial youtube[dot]com/watch?v=mVuUiz40A84

2nd) If you decide to change everything, you just buy original parts with numbers i gave. the only rubbers in this case are upper dempfer and lower saddle
scheme shown here kia[dot]epcdata[dot]ru/mohave/38427/chassis/amortizator_i_prujina_zadney_podveski-54553

sorry for modifying links, not enough rights to post

·
Registered
2008 kia borrego
45 Posts
Thanks evgenmsk for this great contribution and for taking the time to pass on info with great level of detail. It seems like finally there is a way to replace suspension without the costly OEM parts, and gives a solid alternative to some people.
Personally, I found that buying parts directly from South Korea, skipping the dealer all together, offers a very affordable solution. I feel safer installing original parts and the cost savings in the big scheme of things are marginal - I'd be probably changing the Borrego suspension once in its lifetime.
Insurance in North America is tricky at best unscrupulous at worst, and if you are involved in an accident (a big one, not just a minor bumper ding) with a modified vehicle...they would put all of their resources to work to make you responsible and deny a claim (source: 30 years of experience in the insurance industry).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 09(only year in the us) limited v8 for my wife about 7 months ago. She loves it but complained it was to stiff, and bangs hard on bumps. I am new to this forum, but not to wrenching and repairing vehicles. What I found was the rear shocks have bumpers built into them, limiting travel to only about 2 inches. I removed and cut them in half. Wow what a difference it made, so I went to the front. What do ya know, the front has rubber bumpers touching the frame. Removed and trimmed down. No more banging and bouncing around. Rides like a proper SUV now.

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2015
2 Posts
I think the ride is a little rough as well, but am I understanding you correctly in that you are going to replace your shocks on a brand new car? Is it really that bad in your opinion?0:)

·
Registered
09 Kia Borrego
2 Posts
This is the 1st time I've ever commented on a form. I ended up ordering to rear shocks that would fit a 2000 toilet land cruiser. Pulled out the bolt that holds the shock mount and Weld in a 14 mm bolt on it. And have had no problems so ever with it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi every1, sorry for bumping an old thread. And hello from Russian Mohave/borrego club =) sorry for my grammar.

Here we found a solution long ago with cheap replacements.
For front we use Prado 90 shocks (kayaba 341232) + oem 2881 coils. they installs without any technical upgrades in stock places. in this case lift from center of wheel to arch is 51cm (stock is 48+-)
for rear, if you want to save standard air system we use kayaba 344288 shocks + 2-3cm rubber spacers under air balloons, not to get them over pressured cos of front lift.
it this case total lift is 2-3cm from stock. + excellent driving and absorbing.

but mostly we take off stock air systems, and changing it to rear coils. imho its the best way to improve transmission. So, for this you need to change lover levels, for those ones for coils.
their part number 55210-3J000, plus 2 rubbers for coil. and a shock kayaba 344288.

In 2nd way you get totally new car =)

now the calculation for Russia.

1st way with saving rear air system.
front coils ome 2881 x 2 = 160$
rear kayaba 344288 x 2 = 70$
rubber levels x 2 = like 30-40$
total like 400$

2nd way with changing everything
front coils 2881 x 2 = 160$
rear kayaba 344288 = 70$
rear coils ome 2891(2) = 160$
lower levels x 2 170$
rubbers for rare coils 50$
total: 700$ for a new car =) + lift 2-3 cm around + incredible feeling from driving, keep the road like a train, no swinging (omg what is it? - google translate), no nods. (same story..)
+ descent collapse or idk how its called =)) to correct wheels geometry after lifting.

most mohave here riding with 2nd upgrade and have only best reviews.
good luck and if you have any questions please ask.
Hi Evgen,. I just ordered everything that you suggest for my Borrego 2010 LX 3,8 liters

2 x KYB 341232
2 x KYB 341288
2 x ome 2881
2 x ome 2891

As I already have a rear suspension with coils, I think It should be ok with the lower arm and the top and bottom spring rubbers.

However, I believe that there will be an big difference between the overall released oem spring length and the ome 2891 spring (a few inches maybe).

Am I right? Is it simply that the spring will compress way more than the oem one under the same pre-load.

Regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
Quebec, Canada
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature
I added my location and vehicule (model, year)

·
Registered
2009 Borrego
233 Posts
Hey Steph1 I also followed Evgen's advice and purchased and installed the mentioned parts. All went fairly well and the ride is quite good.. I have been able to install slightly bigger tires as well.

You'll have to cut a part of the frame in order to fit the front struts in place.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan, 17 Ford Edge Sport, 15 Mustang, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,714 Posts
Hey Steph1 I also followed Evgen's advice and purchased and installed the mentioned parts. All went fairly well and the ride is quite good.. I have been able to install slightly bigger tires as well.

You'll have to cut a part of the frame in order to fit the front struts in place.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts