Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. We're a week into owning an EX V6 4X4 Pkg 50 (Lux, Prem, DVD, 18" Chrome Wheels), Titanium Exterior, Black Leather Interior... (Great, non-catalog color combination; still can't believe we lucked out on that.)

Anyway, maybe we're just wimps, but it seems the rear shock absorbers' rate is WAY too stiff. But, as the Borrego is still so new, there is no information to be found online for the damping rate... I want to replace the stock ones with some adjustable (softer) Koni's, Gabriel's, or the like.

Anyone out there with stock shock absorber data?

If not, I'll just have to remove, take physical measurements, and start trying other ones out.

Thanks,
A.J.
Seattle, WA

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: Last weekend I jacked-up the Borrego and removed the right rear shock. 'Took measurements, etc, and have sent the data to some online shock absorber companies to try and find alternatives.

And for the record... We also own an '04 MINI Cooper S, have owned a '93 Corvette, and a '99 Chevy S10 ZR2 (Bilstein-equipped). I'm used to stiff suspension! :)

...Wait to see what these online folks come back with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update 2: This is becoming interesting.

See, I did read in a few reviews that "early production Borrego's had very stiff suspension." (Implying that some change was made.) Well, it looks like there was a change.

That right rear shock absorber that I took measurements on last week had a part number of 55311-2J100 on it. This week I have worked with a local Kia dealership (parts counter) and have established that this part number is not valid. Instead, here is the current offering:
- Left Rear is 55320-2J100, at $112.93.
- Right Rear is 55310-2J100, at $171.24.
Why there is such a significant price difference is beyond me.

So, anyway, I have ordered one of each, and expect them to come in sometime next week. After I evaluate, I'll write another follow-up post!

And if anyone knows the VIN sequences, our last 6 digits are 015492. (This is apparently all a dealer needs to establish build order.) Anyone out there able to dissect this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, final update on the Shock Absorber research...

Counter to what the KIA Parts Counter guy told me, Left Rear is 55310-2J100, and Right Rear is 55320-2J100. Not a big deal, as they'd always be bought in pairs anyway.

So, I received the new shocks, and again took the right rear unit off our Borrego for comparison. The rate was no different. Also, I noticed that both of the new shocks that I'd received from KIA had the same 55311-2J100 stamped on the cylinder body. So, that difference in part number must be just for the body, and is independent of the part number for a complete (assembled) shock absorber.

My KIA Parts guy took the units back and gave me a full refund, even without a restocking fee (nice guy!!!), as they should have since they had to bring them in from the LA warehouse.

So, the hunt is over for now. I'll just patiently wait for some aftermarket options. Oh... I did take calipers and a tape to the shock absorbers this time, to at least have all the dimensional information, even if I don't know what the damping rate is. (That way, if I do want to reinstate the hunt, I can take the dimensional drawing to a local suspension shop for help in finding something else / close already out there.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think the ride is a little rough as well, but am I understanding you correctly in that you are going to replace your shocks on a brand new car? Is it really that bad in your opinion?

I am not questioning how you spend your money - just curious as to how you bad you think the ride really is...

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
@ rideklein

Thanks for sharing the info. This is obviously a problem if many people have the same feedback. I do like the solid cornering of the Borrego and minimal body roll but it just wasn't tuned for comfort. It's really low speed bumps that are too harsh for me. The highway ride is great.

I too will wait for an aftermarket shock and will post if I find one. Hopefully someone will tune a shock to the stock spring so we don't have to buy both. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
:puzzled:
Update 2: This is becoming interesting.

See, I did read in a few reviews that "early production Borrego's had very stiff suspension." (Implying that some change was made.) Well, it looks like there was a change.

That right rear shock absorber that I took measurements on last week had a part number of 55311-2J100 on it. This week I have worked with a local Kia dealership (parts counter) and have established that this part number is not valid. Instead, here is the current offering:
- Left Rear is 55320-2J100, at $112.93.
- Right Rear is 55310-2J100, at $171.24.
Why there is such a significant price difference is beyond me.

So, anyway, I have ordered one of each, and expect them to come in sometime next week. After I evaluate, I'll write another follow-up post!

And if anyone knows the VIN sequences, our last 6 digits are 015492. (This is apparently all a dealer needs to establish build order.) Anyone out there able to dissect this?
One reason for price difference might be the internal valving and fluid are not the same for left and right. They take possibly (other companies do and did in past) into account for the gas tank location and when it is full and not. Leveling the playing field for you so you do not have to think about it when loading the vech or towing.

BTW on a side note. This whole thread confuses me greatly. :huh: I am sure you will agree, 75% of the world is complaining about sub par stiffness out of the factory. This being on most other vechs of this type. And I am sure were riverider to have upgraded from his Sorento to a Borrego he would too before he left us thank god and went to Toyota and the Fourunner he now has. You have the great fortune of living thru and being one of 5% out of the box stiffness only to get to the softer worn out stuff many 75% complain about after one to two years. Which is I guess what you wish? And then make it their lifes work to find ways to stiffen it all back up to their liking. Knocking KIA as I am sure riderider would have for poor designs and crap vechs like he did so often. Again your post deeply confuses me greatly :blink:. And yes there are 20% that do not know nor feel the difference.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
38 Posts
@ rideklein

Thanks for sharing the info. This is obviously a problem if many people have the same feedback. I do like the solid cornering of the Borrego and minimal body roll but it just wasn't tuned for comfort. It's really low speed bumps that are too harsh for me. The highway ride is great.

I too will wait for an aftermarket shock and will post if I find one. Hopefully someone will tune a shock to the stock spring so we don't have to buy both. Keep us posted.
Agree completely, cornering and minimal body roll are superb in this vehicle. Just those dang tiny bumps, sometimes I'm like, "here it comes!" and I'm shocked (pun intended) that a little bump shakes this big truck so much. I've never considered an aftermarket shock for any vehicle I've owned but I would for my Borrego.

·
Registered
293 Posts
They are a bit stiff....

I also noted that the ride is a bit stiff, but compared to my 2001 Isuzu Rodeo, it is far better. As a previous owner of the Isuzu Ascender (an GMC Envoy clone), I far prefer the stiffer ride as emergency manuvers in a softly sprung SUV can scare the heck out of you. Or me anyhow.

Newbie here. We're a week into owning an EX V6 4X4 Pkg 50 (Lux, Prem, DVD, 18" Chrome Wheels), Titanium Exterior, Black Leather Interior... (Great, non-catalog color combination; still can't believe we lucked out on that.)

Anyway, maybe we're just wimps, but it seems the rear shock absorbers' rate is WAY too stiff. But, as the Borrego is still so new, there is no information to be found online for the damping rate... I want to replace the stock ones with some adjustable (softer) Koni's, Gabriel's, or the like.

Anyone out there with stock shock absorber data?

If not, I'll just have to remove, take physical measurements, and start trying other ones out.

Thanks,
A.J.
Seattle, WA

·
Registered
221 Posts
Don't they have a different shock system on the Mohave? I seem to remember seeing a Mohave youtube video of the whole truck raising and lowering on air shocks automatically like a Range Rover. That system should retrofit the Borrego.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Body Lift

Update: Last weekend I jacked-up the Borrego and removed the right rear shock. 'Took measurements, etc, and have sent the data to some online shock absorber companies to try and find alternatives.

And for the record... We also own an '04 MINI Cooper S, have owned a '93 Corvette, and a '99 Chevy S10 ZR2 (Bilstein-equipped). I'm used to stiff suspension! :)

...Wait to see what these online folks come back with.
Let me know what you find also please, I am looking to lift my Mohave at least 2".
Gary

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I just put new Bilstein shocks on my 2004 Toyota Tacoma (plus a 2.5" lift :D). It has 77,000 miles on it and was due. I cannot tell you enough how much of a difference the Bilsteins make over the stock shocks (albiet the stocks were worn). Bumps that were rattling through the cabin are now being eaten up by the shocks. It's like driving a new vehicle. Now, Bilstein doesn't make a direct application for the Borrego, or any Kia vehicle for that matter. You can probably send them the specs and see if they have something that will work. The better bet might be to wait for Koni to come up with a shock. They already make Heavy Tracks shocks for the Sportage and Sorrento.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Contacted Bilstein - North America and they said they don't make shocks for the Borrego yet, try again later. I'm not holding my breath for that one.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I did an internet search for shock absorbers and the only hits I got were for the Rancho shocks. As these shocks tend to be very heavy duty, I doubt they would be much better than the stock shocks. But ya never know.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
No surprise... Koni's not available for the Borrego.

However, with the min/max travel and the mounting fitment data, they might be able to do the job. More digging to do.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Just "talking out loud"...

Here's some specs for the Borrego:

Front shock stroke: 99.0mm
Front coil free-height: 358.4mm (Yellow – Blue) / 357.2mm (Green – Blue)

Rear shock stroke: 136.6mm
Rear coil free-height: 297.1mm (Blue)

======

Sorrento 2006

Front shock stroke: 112.0mm
Front coil free-height: 341.1mm

Rear shock stroke: 179.0mm
Rear coil free-height: 359.4mm

=

Koni's Heavy Tracks are made for the 06 Sportage... and the stroke is greater on the Sorrento... which is good news.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Borrego Shock Absorbers - any updates on aftermarket availability?

Any updates on aftermarket availability for a smoother ride? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
32 Participants
Steph1
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing