Kia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well this thread is pretty old. Has anyone had any luck finding aftermarket shocks for the Borrego? I can get the OEM, but would like to at least try something else.

I have searched all over the internet, but haven't found anything that specifically said it will fit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Borrego aftermarket shocks and struts

I can use some help too. Just found out my rear shocks and front struts are gone after 75k miles and they messed up the tread on my rear tires. Bouncing on every seam on the highway and generally very poor control. Went to my local tire shop and they told me there are no aftermarket shocks and struts. $200 each for the front and $250 for the rears! I almost fell down and fainted. Anyone have any solutions that don't cost a $1,000 as I'm replacing breaks and tires too. Thinking about turfing the truck as it's been a bouncer the whole time. Damn truck frame!

·
Registered
103 Posts
V8 shocks

Just "talking out loud"...

Here's some specs for the Borrego:

Front shock stroke: 99.0mm
Front coil free-height: 358.4mm (Yellow – Blue) / 357.2mm (Green – Blue)

Rear shock stroke: 136.6mm
Rear coil free-height: 297.1mm (Blue)

======

Sorrento 2006

Front shock stroke: 112.0mm
Front coil free-height: 341.1mm

Rear shock stroke: 179.0mm
Rear coil free-height: 359.4mm

=

Koni's Heavy Tracks are made for the 06 Sportage... and the stroke is greater on the Sorrento... which is good news.
Smuook,
Where did you get the shock specs? I have the EX V8. Do you know if your numbers for the V6 are the same for the V8? I don't need the shocks now, but I would like to do some research so that when the time comes, I will know exactly what I need to get. If anyone finds aftermarket shocks that work, please let the rest of us know. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
shocks

I agree the harsh ride on my borrego sucks. THe dealer says a i need new shocks. I say ok. They say 200 for each shock. I say not ok.

I'm seeing them online for around 88 dollars each but the shipping is 73 dollars for me.

I have 146k on mine so i guess its worth replacing them though. Anyone find them any cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
4,422 Posts
I agree the harsh ride on my borrego sucks. THe dealer says a i need new shocks. I say ok. They say 200 for each shock. I say not ok.

I'm seeing them online for around 88 dollars each but the shipping is 73 dollars for me.

I have 146k on mine so i guess its worth replacing them though. Anyone find them any cheaper.
I can get you some good prices on OEM shocks, I need the last 8 of your vin#. to look them up. You can PM it to me, if you like.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi,

Can you give me an approximate cost of a good deal on OEM shocks/struts? I'm interested in a used Borrego, but want to know if there are reasonably price replacements, and if there replacements offer any better feel than the ones originally manufactured with?

I too haven't found any after markets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Borrego shocks

The problem with the Borrego shocks is more the rebound valving than the overall stiffness--I think. You will notice that if you only go over one bump the response is not that bad, but if you go over a series of bumps the suspension doesn't seem to be able to rebound quick enough to handle the additional bumps. The overall handling, especially on smooth roads is great and, for me, the ride is fine except in those multiple bump situations. One of the main reasons I bought the Borrego was the handling--especially the "turn in".
I solved the problem on my much lowered Suburban with bilsteins (no more bottoming out and rides fine even with 6 adults).
Be very interested if anyone has tried to match a bilstein that might fit the Borrego.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, it's time to replace the shocks on my Borrego. I really don't want to go with OEM. I want a better ride..Has Anybody found any aftermarket shocks that improved their ride??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bumping this thread-

1) Anyone find a decent aftermarket replacement yet?

2) For those of you that bought OEM, who has the best pricing?

3) For those of you that did the work yourself, any suggestions/tips you would like to share about your experience?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
BUMP...BUMP...BUMP

Really? No one has anything to add? Is there anyone out there?

For a topic that has been read/discussed so much, I know someone must have something to share.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
All I can suggest from the apparent DEAD thread is to look on EBAY or other sites like rockauto,kia parts and such. AND NO I can't help more as from my info, I have a little Spectra. Have a Happier Easter!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi all - sorry I have not been peeking in these forums lately, or I would have seen this sooner. I own a Borrego Limited 2WD and tow a 21 foot Outback 210RS camper. Last year i noticed that the Borrego rear was squatting just a bit more than in the past. Since we have 84k miles on it now, I figured the rear shocks should probably be replaced and I found myself in the same position as all of you... "who makes shocks for this thing and where do I get them?" As we all found out, no aftermarket and expensive from dealerships. My solution was to turn to ebay and I bought two OEM KIA rear shocks from a seller in Korea (seller "automotiveapple"). They were $98 each including shipping, it just took about 3-4 weeks for them to arrive (which they did and were packaged very well and are indeed genuine Kia Borrego rear shocks).

So that is what i can offer as a recommendation instead of paying $150-$200+tax at dealerships. I have not been able to install them yet, but hope to get them in soon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks. Incidentally, I traded my Borrego in for a truck last month and never got around to installing the shocks - I still have them if anybody is interested in buying them.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
32 Participants
Steph1
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing