Kia Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2023 Sportage SX-Prestige
80 Posts
As far as overall design each car’s interior is vastly different. But they share the same infotainment and instrument cluster software with just some minor styling differences in the user interface (like colors and animations). I’ve had my hybrid since May of last year and have experienced no engine issues. Fuel economy has improved quite a bit. I did a grocery store run this morning and the trip mileage computer indicated 52 MPG. All of that was suburban driving with speeds never above 45MPH, and many downhill sections where the engine never runs. Hybrids excel in such conditions.
Thanks for the information, i feel like hyundai tuscon is much superior to this Kia sportage. I heard this from many korean folks as well when i was in south korea. Also dealership network for hyundai is much better than Kia, Kia dealers are slimy greedy. Why cant you give atleast the basic accessories for a discounted price?

How about maintenance issues?
Here where I am Hyundai tuscon has a markup around 6000 $, may be thats negotiable. Mind you i am on a island so there is not much to negotiate as the dealership network is limited.

·
Registered
2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid EX
145 Posts
Thanks for the information, i feel like hyundai tuscon is much superior to this Kia sportage. I heard this from many korean folks as well when i was in south korea. Also dealership network for hyundai is much better than Kia, Kia dealers are slimy greedy. Why cant you give atleast the basic accessories for a discounted price?

How about maintenance issues?
Here where I am Hyundai tuscon has a markup around 6000 $, may be thats negotiable. Mind you i am on a island so there is not much to negotiate as the dealership network is limited.
I had the exact same problem here in Denver. The Hyundai dealers would not budge and everyone of them either had no vehicles on the lot or they were pre-sold and were charging $3-5K over MSRP. That is why I ended up at the Kia dealer.

I am seeing reports of only 25-30 mpg for the Sportage Hybrid, when it is rated by Kia at 38 city/highway/combined. How can Kia get away with stating expected mileage that is so far off from reality? Under 30 mpg's would be really disappointing for me.

·
Registered
2023 Sportage SX-Prestige
80 Posts
Observation on the hybrid, if the speed exceeds 60 Mph mileage starts to drop. Sometimes i get indicators to release the accelerator. Is there anyway to activate some assitance for a better mileage. I cannot use cruise control on the island our roads are not that big enough to do it.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Limited Hybrid, Quartz White
8 Posts
Observation on the hybrid, if the speed exceeds 60 Mph mileage starts to drop. Sometimes i get indicators to release the accelerator. Is there anyway to activate some assitance for a better mileage. I cannot use cruise control on the island our roads are not that big enough to do it.
The best assistant is yourself. You eventually learn to adjust your driving habits to keep the engine off as much as possible. I have a new appreciation for the term “feathering the throttle”. It’s amazing how the slightest change in throttle pressure can produce different results. Also, as the car breaks in the mileage will improve.

·
Registered
2023 Sportage Hybrid SX Prestige
13 Posts
I am about 2 months in for my Hybrid SX Prestige. I average about 31mpg using smart mode. I don't know how anyone can get to 38mpg as advertised unless they highway all the time on cruise.

I did average about 40 when I drove from Pitt to Columbus but I micro managed every tap on the gas, cruise control, etc. I purposely tried to get the MPG high.

I never hit those since.

·
Registered
2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid EX AWD with Premium Pkg
38 Posts
I checked with the folks with non hybrids they are almost getting 26-28. I am dissapointed in the hybrid mileage. Whats the right way to drive a hybrid non plugin one.
I’m stil awaiting my delivery for my wife Sportage EX AWD 2023 Hybrid. But I will say from experience with my RAM 2500 (work truck). The more I let it idle the lower the mileage. If I’m letting her warm up in winter or cool down in summer with remote start the mileage is a lot lower. Then it takes awhile for the mileage avg PG to level back up to the driving I’m doing ie: city or highway or towing or 4x4. Not sure if this helps and trust me I’m NO EXPERT by any means. Lol! This hybrid is a whole new world to me. So I guess I’ll see what happens once it’s in. I wonder if the drive setting must be on Economy for the top mileage to be registered? Anyways good luck with it 👍🏼

·
Registered
2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid EX
145 Posts
We picked up our 2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid EX today and on the way home from Colorado Springs to Denver, we got 48 mpg, all highway. It has yet t be seen, if we can keep that up.

The dealer neglected to fill up or even add fuel to the vehicle. The Sales manager did not congratulate us on purchasing the Sportage, even though he was sitting 50 feet away from us.

It just seemed like a real mediocre experience from a car dealership, but it appears to be the case for many Kia dealerships. They did not have a dedicated place for inspecting the vehicle before purchase or a nice section set apart to take delivery of the vehicle.

Buildings and infrastructure seem to be an afterthought for Kia dealerships, even less so than Hyundai dealers.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
We picked up our 2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid EX today and on the way home from Colorado Springs to Denver, we got 48 mpg, all highway. It has yet t be seen, if we can keep that up.
Is that black interior? Seems to be from the pic. We ordered Blk interior. The blue/tan-white looks nice but we decided on black for being easier to keep clean. Good Luck & Congrats

·
Registered
2019 Niro PHEV Ex Premium (2023 Sportage PHEV soon?)
115 Posts
Wow! That is nearly the gas mileage of my Niro! For a significantly larger vehicle to get so close is amazing!

Reactions: HybridPaul

·
Registered
2023 Sportage Hybrid SX-Prestige
13 Posts
I've driven my 23 Sportage Hybrid SX-Prestige 1600 miles. I've been watching my fuel mileage closely.
I've noticed something interesting. When I look at what my vehicle says it's usually between 28-35 MPG.
After I filled the gas tank the numbers didn't add up. I decided to do it the ild fashioned way. I filled the tank and noted the milage.
Next time I filled the tank I wrote down how much fuel and how many miles I'd driven. I was shocked so I did it again next fill. I was actually getting 40-45 MPG.
I did this for several weeks.
I was honestly shocked.
I have been trying to drive attempting to get the best MPG. I use cruise control and HDA as much as possible. I also live in the country. I don't get into too many traffic jams or places with low speed limits. My driving would be considered mostly highway.
Perhaps your milage is not as bad as you think. :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
That dual screen instrument cluster is still my favourite feature on the Sportage.
Congratulations on finally receiving your car

·
Registered
2023 Sportage Hybrid SX-Prestige
20 Posts
i decided to avoid passing judgment too early on the overestimated EPA mileage estimate for AWD hybrid (38/38/38 mpg) and after 2 refills i am convinced that in my neck of the woods (Northern NJ) with 60/40 city/highway driving, 38 cannot be achieved, even with all the hypermiling techniques i have heard of. The best i can get is ~34 mpg (33.8 to be exact). that's still efficient compared to my Volvo XC60 T6 (21 mpg) but i call foul on the EPA estimate. perhaps it will improve after 1000 mile breakin (i'm at 700 miles currently) but i doubt it will improve that much.

at first, i didn't try to game the system and drove fairly normally and only got ~31 mpg, but the 2nd tank i decided to do my best and find those moments to maximize EV'ing and i still could only get the 33.8mpg. curious to see what others get.

PS: oh, and highway is even worse than city. can't do much past 65 mph without using lots of gas

·
Registered
Reserved 2023 Sportage Hybrid EX
1 Posts
I’m curious if any of you reporting low mileage are able to re-produce what “OMGIBOUGHTAKIA” said? If you can maybe it’s due to buggy software…

If you can’t reproduce their results then that suggests this is more an issue with the EPA ratings.

I have a Vesta Blue EX reserved and arriving at the dealer in the next few weeks, and these reports of poor performance are definitely giving me 2nd thoughts.
I've driven my 23 Sportage Hybrid SX-Prestige 1600 miles. I've been watching my fuel mileage closely.
I've noticed something interesting. When I look at what my vehicle says it's usually between 28-35 MPG.
After I filled the gas tank the numbers didn't add up. I decided to do it the ild fashioned way. I filled the tank and noted the milage.
Next time I filled the tank I wrote down how much fuel and how many miles I'd driven. I was shocked so I did it again next fill. I was actually getting 40-45 MPG.
I did this for several weeks.
I was honestly shocked.
I have been trying to drive attempting to get the best MPG. I use cruise control and HDA as much as possible. I also live in the country. I don't get into too many traffic jams or places with low speed limits. My driving would be considered mostly highway.
Perhaps your milage is not as bad as you think. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I’m curious if any of you reporting low mileage are able to re-produce what “OMGIBOUGHTAKIA” said? If you can maybe it’s due to buggy software…

If you can’t reproduce their results then that suggests this is more an issue with the EPA ratings.

I have a Vesta Blue EX reserved and arriving at the dealer in the next few weeks, and these reports of poor performance are definitely giving me 2nd thoughts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I’m awaiting the same. EX Vesta. I hoping that it’s the right decision. But you also have to remember that the 38 mpg is driving in eco mode and also driving like an old lady to Sunday Church. Slow acceleration of the line, nothing above 55 and not letting it cool off for AC while parked. All these things will effect the overall mileage. I have a Ram 2500 work truck and the mileage changes if I let it cool off in summer or heat up and defrost in winter while parked after auto starting. So I will remain optimistic. I believe to get that 38mpg you have to drive accordingly. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Maybe when Kia was testing the mileage, the weather was perfect with no need for AC or heater, and they were driving downhill with the wind behind their back, brand new asphalt and raw egg between the driver's foot and the accelerator pedal. Oh, and the driver was told that he'll receive a bonus if the egg does not break

·
Registered
38 Posts
Maybe when Kia was testing the mileage, the weather was perfect with no need for AC or heater, and they were driving downhill with the wind behind their back, brand new asphalt and raw egg between the driver's foot and the accelerator pedal. Oh, and the driver was told that he'll receive a bonus if the egg does not break
Hahahahha lmao

41 - 60 of 75 Posts