Kia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't have the Hybrid, but I can pretty much guarantee you that the MPG difference in interstate speeds will be negligible.
I'd be surprised if there is any difference at all actually.
You mean compared to the ICE? Yeah, I could assume that, but I don't have data for that one, either. The engine size difference between the ICE and the hybrid also plays a factor I am interested in exploring here.

·
Registered
2023 Sportage SX-Prestige
80 Posts
Glad to hear you love it. Those MPG figures seem a little disappointing. Heavily considering the new Lexus NX350h and people are reporting better than advertised MPG (41/39/37) from that car. Obviously it’s a $10k price difference compared fully loaded. Hmmmm…..
Mine hasnt been great either about a week old. My mileage has never reached more than 30 mpg.
I have 2023 sportage sx prestige.

·
Registered
2019 Niro PHEV Ex Premium (2023 Sportage PHEV soon?)
115 Posts
Easy on the gas, easy on the brake. You recapture more energy if you can avoid actually triggering the real brakes. You use less fuel driving conservatively.
But a week isn't long enough to break it in. Most reports are saying the gas mileage gets better, regardless of driving style.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Easy on the gas, easy on the brake. You recapture more energy if you can avoid actually triggering the real brakes. You use less fuel driving conservatively.
But a week isn't long enough to break it in. Most reports are saying the gas mileage gets better, regardless of driving style.
Question, why does the charge indicator show me always at 50 %. It never gets charged even though i dont brake that heavily. I am going easy on the brakes and on the accelarator.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Question, why does the charge indicator show me always at 50 %. It never gets charged even though i dont brake that heavily. I am going easy on the brakes and on the accelarator.
I believe that is where it wants to be. If it gets full, you aren't using enough electric and you can't use the regenerative braking. If you find yourself around 50% when you head down a hill, watch it fill from the regenerative braking.
Of course, if there is something going wrong keeping it from using or charging the battery, that would keep it there, too, so I can't be sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just to be clear, do you (or anyone else) know if Kia/Hyundai offer any hybrid or PHEV vehicle that doesn't actually utilize regenerative braking automatically when pressing the brakes up to a certain threshold? I was reading some that some manufacturers, at least in the past, did not integrate the brake pedal into the regenerative braking system and with this subject it seemed like a good time to ask.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just to be clear, do you (or anyone else) know if Kia/Hyundai offer any hybrid or PHEV vehicle that doesn't actually utilize regenerative braking automatically when pressing the brakes up to a certain threshold? I was reading some that some manufacturers, at least in the past, did not integrate the brake pedal into the regenerative braking system and with this subject it seemed like a good time to ask.
I don't believe any current market options have a brake pedal that only actuates traditional brakes. As far as I know, all current HEV, PHEV, and EV have regenerative braking. If you don't brake too hard, you'll be using it in any one of them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't believe any current market options have a brake pedal that only actuates traditional brakes. As far as I know, all current HEV, PHEV, and EV have regenerative braking. If you don't brake too hard, you'll be using it in any one of them.
So the idea is to press gently right? How do we know whether to press gently and or else real hard, what trigger regenerative braking?

·
Registered
115 Posts
So the idea is to press gently right? How do we know whether to press gently and or else real hard, what trigger regenerative braking?
Braking gently is best for regeneration. Slow down with lots of spare room whenever you can. I can't speak to the Sportage hybrid, but my Niro makes the transition between regenerative and regular brakes pretty smooth, so it may be hard to tell when you hit that point. I check the regen gauge on it, but I don't know how accurate it is.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Braking gently is best for regeneration. Slow down with lots of spare room whenever you can. I can't speak to the Sportage hybrid, but my Niro makes the transition between regenerative and regular brakes pretty smooth, so it may be hard to tell when you hit that point. I check the regen gauge on it, but I don't know how accurate it is.
Whats this regen gauge ? Can you please share more information?

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Limited Hybrid, Quartz White
8 Posts
In my Tucson Hybrid (same car as a Sportage, different styling), the gauge they are referring to is probably the one in the instrument cluster on the right. It shows when the battery is charging, when the car is running more economically, and when the car is using both engine and battery for full blown power. The gauge can be toggled between displaying as a tachometer or the battery function. When I apply the brakes the gauge needle swings to the charge section, telling you regenerative braking is being applied.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Niro, at least the 2019 Niro, has a gauge indicating recharge or power use. I think the Sportage might only have it in the higher trims, but I am not sure.
Like I said, I don't know whether it is completely accurate, but it can give you an idea if it is there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The Niro, at least the 2019 Niro, has a gauge indicating recharge or power use. I think the Sportage might only have it in the higher trims, but I am not sure.
Like I said, I don't know whether it is completely accurate, but it can give you an idea if it is there.
Oh ok, i see three divisions in the display. Left side circle shows speed and right side has first battery and then eco. This is all in economy mode, no torque indicator. I will take a picture and paste it here.

·
Registered
80 Posts
In my Tucson Hybrid (same car as a Sportage, different styling), the gauge they are referring to is probably the one in the instrument cluster on the right. It shows when the battery is charging, when the car is running more economically, and when the car is using both engine and battery for full blown power. The gauge can be toggled between displaying as a tachometer or the battery function. When I apply the brakes the gauge needle swings to the charge section, telling you regenerative braking is being applied.
Is the tuscon hybrid interior very similar to Kia hybrid interior? I know the engine is the same. Have you faced any issues with the engine?

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Limited Hybrid, Quartz White
8 Posts
Is the tuscon hybrid interior very similar to Kia hybrid interior? I know the engine is the same. Have you faced any issues with the engine?
As far as overall design each car’s interior is vastly different. But they share the same infotainment and instrument cluster software with just some minor styling differences in the user interface (like colors and animations). I’ve had my hybrid since May of last year and have experienced no engine issues. Fuel economy has improved quite a bit. I did a grocery store run this morning and the trip mileage computer indicated 52 MPG. All of that was suburban driving with speeds never above 45MPH, and many downhill sections where the engine never runs. Hybrids excel in such conditions.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts