Kia Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
2016 Kia Sportage AWD 2.4L
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
馃槩 Kia service centre believe the issue is from wheel sensor but they cant comment until they look at the car next week. Have to wait few days to hear from them. :confused:

Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
Well at least its being dealt with by a Kia service center, and not the used car sales places "mechanic".

Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
Good luck! Let us know what happens please!!

Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
Does the parking brake switch illuminate when engaged! Mine doesnt. Water damaged maybe?
I would wait for the Kia Dealership service center's diagnostics.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yes鈥 still there. I'm thinking maybe the dealer/car wash spilled liquid on the central console switch controller and it's confusing the computer.
I'm not sure if the brake switch supposed to illuminate when it's engaged but last time I applied it wasnt illuminating.

I'm thinking of contacting the service centre mechanic and telling him/her to check the switch. I remember the very first time I contacted the dealer about the limp mode issue he told me maybe the water is gone into electronics then I thought what is he talking about. Maybe they're hiding something from me. If kia service centre reports that they cant find any fault and later I discover that the damage is due to liquid spillage then I need to pay for console switch controller replacement.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Just to give everyone an update about the outcome.

Kia service centre said they couldn't find any fault code an currently test driving the car. Would you believe them?

I drove the car twice for less than 20km each time and car went into limp home mode. How come Kia can't find the fault?

Something fishy is goin on here.

Registered
2011 Hyundai ix35 AWD CRDi
Hard to comment but some codes possibly don't store. Some do and go into history when they clear from being active. I've had a car which had a persistant fault on the traction control that could never be solved until I literally drove it in running whilst the error light was on because every time it was cycled it cleared and they could find nothing, back in 2008. If it's as persistant as you report I'd be confident it should trigger and get decoded.

Registered
2021 Kia Sportage LX AWD Sparkling Silver/Grey Interior
Looks like based on the dash lights that this is a classic presentation of a failed HECU. They have recalled all of the Sportage model years between 2017-2021 (just had mine done yesterday on a 2021 LX). Looks like they maybe extending it back to 2016 too if they have the same internal leakage issue. My 2020 Stinger had the same light show when the HECU failed in it; did the recall and replaced HECU and knock on wood all is good now. Check the owner's manual to see what amperage fuses it uses and lower it down by 10amps and drive it. If one or both fuses blow then it is pointing to a HECU short issue. Since it had not been mentioned yet I figured I would put it on the table.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Just pick up the car from dealer. Drove the car to see if any warning lights come up on the dashboard. All good BUT there is a loud whining noise coming from engine bay when accelerating. It happens at low gears until maybe gear 4. It wasn't there before returning the car for repair. It doesnt occur when the car is in park so had to do something with the transmission. Since they relpaced the inhibitor switch they may have messed up with something. Any suggestions?

Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
Just pick up the car from dealer. Drove the car to see if any warning lights come up on the dashboard. All good BUT there is a loud whining noise coming from engine bay when accelerating. It happens at low gears until maybe gear 4. It wasn't there before returning the car for repair.
When you use the term "dealer" do you mean the Kia Dealership or the used car dealer?

The best is to take it back and have the mechanic drive with you and open another service order clearly stating what you consider a defect.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
When you use the term "dealer" do you mean the Kia Dealership or the used car dealer?
I mean the used car dealer. Yes defenitely would ask them to book for another service. This car has given me so much headache so far.

Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
I mean the used car dealer. Yes defenitely would ask them to book for another service. This car has given me so much headache so far.
What's actually happening here - did the Kia Dealership diagnose the problem and the used car dealer's backyard mechanic tried to fix it based on that?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
What's actually happening here - did the Kia Dealership diagnose the problem and the used car dealer's backyard mechanic tried to fix it based on that?
No鈥 the car was with Kia service centre. I bought the car from used car dealer but returned it next day when symptoms appeared. They have the obligation under law to repair the car within 3 month of purchase. So they took the car to Kia and it was with Kia service centre for 4 weeks.

Here's the sound I recorder today.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts