Kia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
First generation Sportages are all almost equal. The coolant type is indicated in the Owner's Manual, see: how to replace coolant.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you

Oh my God, I'm so glad I found this... this is going to save me a TON of time, and likely money (since I was going to say the hell with it and have the mechanic do it).

I have the heater core bypassed for now (which sucks here in New England this time of year), because I saw this was going to be a huge project, and have been putting it off while debating if I should tackle it myself or pay to have it done.... with this method, I'm definitely going to do it myself....

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Here's a bit more of a step by step of getting to where you're "getting a good look" at the heater core case for those that don't learn visually very well.

Open the glove box and disconnect the pneumatic support from the right side of the glove box (it just lifts away).

Now you can remove the glove box by disconnecting the glove box from the hinge (3 screws), or disconnect the hinge from the mounting bracket/cross member (two screws). I disconnected the easier way by removing the two screws attaching the hinge to the bracket.

Now the lower passenger dash comes out by removing all the obvious screws, 3 of them, and one that is concealed by the passenger door when the door it is closed.

Now you should be looking at an aluminum crossmember mounted horizontally that now "blocks" access to the evaporator unit and heater core. Two 10mm bolts hold this in place, a 6 inch extension is your friend in removing the one behind the dash to your left.

At this point you are safe to drain coolant and remove the inlet/outlet hoses from the heater core (you want your sportage to be somewhere you are comfortable with it being for a couple days if something goes wrong, as this is where it seems anything unexpected is going to occur.

As far as which part of the giant mass of black plastic you have in front of you is the part you cut to pull the core out, it's the only part (think hump as mentioned before) about two inches thick, ten inches long that the lower portion is pointing just about 135 degrees (top left at 10:30, bottom right at 4:30).

If you still have any doubts, before doing any of the disassembly make sure the coolant is at operating temperature. In the time it will take you to expose the heater core case there will still be plenty of heat to feel what plastic the heater core is behind, you'll find your hand on the piece of plastic I described in the last paragraph.

·
Registered
7 Posts
nice workaround

i did exactly what it says to do , i model sportage was exactly as pictured , even plastics were identical , took about 1hr to pull , most time it took was the screws behind the center console , not sure why anyone would put screws in from the reverse side lol , but it took even less time to put it back in , very tight fit , didnt think it was gonna fit but i just wiggled it in there , and voila , straight in first shot , thnx for the terrific info , now i just need to get a striped bolt head from the front auto lock hub , and it will be 100% again , yeaaaa

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 98 sportage. Just had a new timing belt, pulleys, and tentioner, and starter put on it. As I drove it home the heater core went out and dumped coolent in the floor board. I know it's not the best idea, but I bypassed the heater core. But the thing is still getting real hot. Can anyone give me ANY ideas??:(:(:(:(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anyone know the easiest way to remove those under hood heater hose clamps (the ones next to the firewall), without removing the intake manifold? Those babies are a @!%#$! to access.....

Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a great thread. My daughter has a 2000 Sportage with a heater core issue and I am the family mechanic. I should mention that I also have a fused back for 4 levels. So after reading this I am much happier about doing this job.

One thing I am wondering about is if you were to unbolt the passenger side motor mount and lift the motor would it give better room to get to the core hoses. I don't have her Kia here to look over. Have only looked online at the job and also read this thread.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Get your daughter to help you. Lifting the engine isn't going to help as far as my experience goes. Make sure your daughter's heater core is like the ones in the posted pictures.
UPYOURKIA

·
Registered
1 Posts
2000 sportage 4x4

Does anyone have a clue where i can find a exploded view of the dashboard?
I was given this car cause the previous owner gave up on changing the heater core. They dismantled the entire dash in the process. i have looked everywhere for a full exploded diagram on how to re-assemble the dash from firewall out with no luck..
I wish they would have just asked me to do the work for them vs given me the car to put this HUGE puzzle back together blind..
All wires are hanging loose, steering wheel, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
I was given this car cause the previous owner gave up on changing the heater core. They dismantled the entire dash in the process. i have looked everywhere for a full exploded diagram on how to re-assemble the dash from firewall out with no luck..
I wish they would have just asked me to do the work for them vs given me the car to put this HUGE puzzle back together blind..
Sorry man I can't find a diagram that is inclusive enough for that wrecked of a tear down. Sad to see that they removed so much for a heater core that they could have removed with much less effort.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Honestly I couldn't find an easier way to get the heater core out on mine I took out the entire dash, it isn't half as hard to put together as it looks, as long as you have all the bolts. Maybe I can get some pictures of the dash together to illustrate the mount points and such

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App.

It's a work in progress, but I'll have the satisfaction that I did the work and a little more knowledge than when I started

·
Registered
63 Posts
Anyone know the easiest way to remove those under hood heater hose clamps (the ones next to the firewall), without removing the intake manifold? Those babies are a @!%#$! to access.....

Rob

The only solution is to remove JUST the upper plenum/ throttle body and even that was hell

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App.

It's a work in progress, but I'll have the satisfaction that I did the work and a little more knowledge than when I started

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Hello forum,
Finally installed my new heater core .Thanks to all who have posted useful comments to instruct and inform of the pitfalls in completing the job.
The worst part for me was undoing the 4 Phillips head screws behind the centre lower console, on assembly I swapped them out for hex head screws much easier to install and strip in future.
Still have a few panels to install but the heat is great on the near freezing mornings I have recently.
Regards Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys, core on my 02 just sprung a leak. Did anyone ever figure out an easier way for these. Crossing my fingers that someone has.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2001 Model here. Can that post mentioned that block removal of the core in some 2000's and later be cut out? Is it needed or if you can cut it out, can it just be tack welded back in? There's gotta be an easier way than 2 day work and pulling the entire dash!! Any thoughts or input would sure be appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Whew! Finally got mine changed; like natej said, I had to remove the upper plenum/half of the intake, just to get the hose clamp pliers in there...it was a pain!

While I was in there, I replaced the valve cover gasket and spark plugs, and it all went back together nicely.

HOWEVER....now I have another issue. While putting this stuff back together, I was left with an extra hose that I cannot see where it connects. When I put water in the radiator, the hose leaks profusely....I traced it to the back of the block, but that's as far as I could go.

Funny thing is, I don't remember taking this hose loose; it has a spring clamp on it, and it's wrapped with coiled plastic to protect it, but I've searched in vain to see exactly where this hose goes. I even downloaded the Kia service manual, but it doesn't show the hose in any diagram that I can recognize.

Any ideas where this might go? And if not, do you think it would harm the engine to block it off?

Here's a few photos of it:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Greetings Ghostsoldier,

Doesn't that hose connect to the other side of the oil cooler assembly, under the oil filter?

There s/b (2) hoses connected to the cooler..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for answering my post, GC...this is my son's truck, and I need to get it back to him tomorrow, if possible. :)

I thought that there was 2 hoses already attached to the cooler; I'll have to go out tomorrow and see (it's night here now). One hose looks larger than the other (the left one), and I distinctly recall disconnecting the smaller hose on the right (if your facing the filter) because water ran out, but I did not disconnect the big one on the left. The hose-in-question in my photos above isn't long enough to reach far enough downwards to connect to the oil filter cooler, even if I try to connect it there.

Here's a couple of images of diagrams I found, which I think is the pipe in question:

The diagram calls that the "coolant inlet pipe and bypass pipe".

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Also, here's a couple of photos from this forum I found, which shows the hose in question (the white arrows are not added by me):

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
FWIW, I went out with a flashlight to see if the oil cooler lines were attached....and they are. One (the rearmost one) is connected to the block under the intake manifold, and the other (the frontmost one) is connected up through the intake runners and connects to the 90-degree fitting on the bottom of the throttle body.

I traced the hose-in-question back, and it definitely connects to a nipple on the top of the steel coolant inlet pipe and bypass pipe...so, if we/I can't come up with a solution, I'm just going to plug the hose and wish for the best, as the oil cooler seems to be connected to a water source (block/throttle body), and I can't see where it can harm anything by plugging the end of the hose.

Rob

21 - 40 of 48 Posts