Kia Forum banner

181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
662 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to the V6 problem club🤣. Thank you for the information on the possible solution with the ECM. After the transmission thud on between gears (1 & 2) and cruise 6, I've had the engine stall / loose power a couple of times. Battery is new and alternator working perfectly. If it occurs immediately after leaving home I stop and restart the engine a minute later which solves the problem for a day. I then got an ODB2 scanner to check and clear these ECM errors. I will request the dealer to check the ECM at the next annual service in December. Thank you.
Your 2015 Sedona may have the same V6 as we get in the Sorento but it does not have the 8 speed transmission which is when this problem started occurring. I think everyone with a 2016-2018 V6 Sorento with the 6 speed is happy with the performance and doesn't get any of these hesitation issues. I also suspect that the tuning for the V6 has changed over the years and further suspect it's different for South Africa than the US.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento V6 FWD
2 Posts
Well, got our 19 V6 back from the dealer after a month. ECM came in a lot quicker than expected. So far so good. Need to put some more miles on it but the hesitation seems to be gone and it hasn't stalled. Exact wording on the invoice states that they scanned it AFTER they experienced it stalling on them. Found code P062B00, code for internal control module failure fuel injector. Weird that it didn't show up after the first dozen times it stalled. Once the dealer had it stall on them, then the engine light came on. I see other similar issues across the board on Kia's I'm wondering if they have some bad quality control on these ECUs. ECU isn't cheap, almost $1k, glad this was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento EX
2 Posts
Hello, I've been following and looking through quite a few posts about the Sorento and the engine/transmission stumbling/hesitation. I have not found any definitive answers on here. Has anyone had a dealer actually do something to remedy this or heard from Kia in regards to this? Does anyone have anything specific I can take to the dealer and tell them to do? If you all are filing complaints with Kia, where do I go to do this?

I recently bought a 2020 EX Sorento with 30 miles on it. Within the first week I noticed the stumbling/hesistation happening quite frequently. It feels like when you drive a manual transmission and shift into a high gear too soon. We took it to the dealer we purchased from (2 hours away). The sales manager claimed he had never heard any complaints about this. Service manager said a transmission reset is what they do and that it had to do with the auto adjusting transmission. They reset the transmission and it seemed to help at first, but then it just went back to the stumbling/hesitation. Asked our local dealer about it and they too said that sometimes do the transmission reset but that overall it's just something this new transmission does.

This is so frustrating to have to be dealing with on a brand new car. This is the first NEW car I've ever bought and feel like I will NEVER do that again. It just makes me sick to my stomach and would gladly return the car if I could! Makes me wish I never got rid of my Toyota. :(

·
Registered
'19 Sorento S V6 AWD in Snow White, 2021 Seltos SX turbo AWD
303 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I'm so sorry to hear that you are having the problem and that it's severe enough to make you regret your purchase. One member was able to solve his problem pretty much by using ethanol free gas. You may have seen that. Is there another dealer that you could take it to? Or take it back to the first dealer and have them ride with you to experience the problem. Maybe test drive another Sorento from their lot to see if it does the same thing. My problem is just about imperceptible now.
Hope you can work something out.
Let us know.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
656 Posts
Did a little experiment this morning. Drove away after cold start in manual and kept engine in manual in 1. Interestingly enough no engine stutter which seems to confirm it is the gear box shifting up too early while cold which gives the stutter. Also checked gear when I was driving through parking lot at 12 mph and car was already in 3rd. So the gearbox really does shift early in smart mode which probably causes some of the stutter.
Also from another thread that was closed:
" It feels like when you drive a manual transmission and shift into a high gear too soon."
I just wanted to chime in on this, as I've now had the 2020 8-speed for over a week. For reference, I had the 2016 6-speed prior to this. I really think the above quotes clarify the exact issue with the 8-speed transmission. Simply put: in SMART mode, it upshifts too far. That's the stumbling imo. I can clearly feel this when I'm traveling at a regular in-town speed (30-40 mph), and I then floor it. Clearly happens every single time I do that: it puts it in a gear that's too high for it to accelerate properly. But it never happens in any other drive mode, including ECO. I suspect that earlier 2019s were programmed a bit different, to the point where this could have been an issue with other drive modes. But that is pure speculation. Luckily, I drive it in Sport mode, so it's not an issue for me. Overall, I think the 2020 8-speed is much smoother and quicker to shift than the 6-speed was, especially when it's in manual mode.

Having said that, I think we should recognize that this thread has become a bit of a catch-all for anyone having hesitation issues since 2019.. many of which likely have zero to do with the transmission. I would just say if you do have an issue, try and use as much detail as you can when you post about it. And definitely experiment with it in manual mode, as that can help differentiate between an issue with the transmission vs some other component.

Reactions: bow45

·
Registered
'19 Sorento S V6 AWD in Snow White, 2021 Seltos SX turbo AWD
303 Posts
To mollyh76 whose thread was closed, what driving modes have you used? Is the problem present in all modes or just ECO or Smart? I only use Comfort and Sport.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento EX
2 Posts
To mollyh76 whose thread was closed, what driving modes have you used? Is the problem present in all modes or just ECO or Smart? I only use Comfort and Sport.
I've used all modes, it happens in all of them. Someone suggested ethanol free gas, I don't have any available stations near me (well one, but the pump has been out of order for months). I did put premium in last week and have not noticed a difference. When we took it back in one week after purchase we had the service guy ride along with us, he pretty much didn't acknowledge the issue just reprogrammed the transmission to get us to leave. Our local dealer at least admitted he knew about the issue, but had no solutions.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
656 Posts
I've used all modes, it happens in all of them. Someone suggested ethanol free gas, I don't have any available stations near me (well one, but the pump has been out of order for months). I did put premium in last week and have not noticed a difference. When we took it back in one week after purchase we had the service guy ride along with us, he pretty much didn't acknowledge the issue just reprogrammed the transmission to get us to leave. Our local dealer at least admitted he knew about the issue, but had no solutions.
I would at least try 89 octane, even if it's not ethanol-free. I should have mentioned that in my post, but I always use 89. And definitely try manual mode. Not a great workaround, but it should tell you if the issue is in fact due to the automatic shifting logic or if the issue is caused by something else.

Reactions: bow45 and dardsa

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
898 Posts
My dealer did a recall software update last week and I swear it is smoother and faster

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,649 Posts
To be fair, the word 'recall' is often used improperly. There's a HUGE difference between a recall and a TSB.

Trying to recall from memory, but have them look at TRA082.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
383 Posts
Well it is kinda complicated (mine is still working just fine):

181 - 192 of 192 Posts