Kia Forum banner

161 - 180 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,584 Posts
To be clear -- anyone who drives a 2019 Sorento at altitude should ask ...
We're not seeing that on earlier models. All of my trips over the passes have been without a hitch, and haven't heard other pre-19 high altitude owners with the issue, either.

Wonder if this will do any of the flatlanders who report similar issues any good, especially if it's specific to the baro sensor.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX 3.3L GDI V6 - FWD (Sparkling Silver)
286 Posts
Mine is a brand new 2019 and felt it pulsating when you lightly accelerate since it had 31 miles. I was not sure if it was an engine or transmission causing it, but it seems many are having the same experience and know it's the transmission.

Mine happens in all Drive Modes as well, especially in ECO

I do feel it more when the car is still cold and not up to normal operating temperature

·
Registered
286 Posts
No, not right, but unfortunately the dealers have been trained to act stupid when you bring it up. They pretend they don't feel it and list it on the service order as "could not duplicate"

In my opinion, if this is an issue many are dealing with, I say we unite and demand a resolution, maybe a class action, who knows. That will get their attention

·
Registered
2019 Sorento LX AWD 3.3L
74 Posts
Eh, I have my suspicions as to what it is, and it isn't something the dealer could fix, at least not most of them.

I have another 72+Kmi on my warranty and I can drive around the slightly bothersome hesitation (in my case). Do as you see fit but I'm not going to irritate my dealer (I have 15 oil changes and 100K B-to-B warranty on mine, lifetime powertrain w/ B-to-B 100K on the wife's)

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
955 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sorento LX AWD 3.3L
74 Posts
fuel mapping too lean in some part throttle conditions leading to misfire condition, Small, barely perceptible, and won't throw a code (because a certain threshold is not exceeded). These engines (like most all) are programmed for the max fuel mileage/lowest emissions which are not necessarily complementary. The continual leaning out of the fuel/air mix means we have to run on the ragged edge to achieve best fuel miles. I suspect this because applying more aggressive throttle gets into a richer fuel mix (normal condition) and the problem goes away immediately. At least on mine it does. I know a few folks who crack code and remap fuel/ignition systems, mostly on motorcycles, and the symptoms are VERY much like ours and they immediately go away.

Zero chance of any local dealer having the experience/tooling to build a new fuel map (and the EPA would shit a brick if they could/would).

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't know if this is related at all. But here's my 1700 mile update:

For the past 700 miles (2 fill ups, now on my 3rd) I have been using Shell V-Power 93. Yes it could be an overkill or as some say unnecessary, but guys here are the noticable differences I have experienced:

- Pulsating used to occur when the car was cold but also after reaching normal operating temperature although not as much as when cold. Now I only feel it when the car hasn't had a chance to reach operating temperature yet. Once there the car is smooth as silk

- The engine ticking is now limited to the first 10 or 20 seconds after starting the engine (cold starts)

- Engine is much quieter while driving

- Car feels more responsive, and will down shift quicker when in need to do so (Comfort Mode)

Yes, this is a more expensive route to go long term but with fuel being as cheap as we've seen it in so long I think I will stick to 93 Shell V-Power for as long as I can.

Doesn't hurt to try it yourself for a couple of fillups and see if you experience similar results

·
Registered
'19 Sorento S V6 AWD in Snow White, 2021 Seltos SX turbo AWD
296 Posts
fuel mapping too lean in some part throttle conditions leading to misfire condition, Small, barely perceptible, and won't throw a code (because a certain threshold is not exceeded). These engines (like most all) are programmed for the max fuel mileage/lowest emissions which are not necessarily complementary. The continual leaning out of the fuel/air mix means we have to run on the ragged edge to achieve best fuel miles. I suspect this because applying more aggressive throttle gets into a richer fuel mix (normal condition) and the problem goes away immediately. At least on mine it does. I know a few folks who crack code and remap fuel/ignition systems, mostly on motorcycles, and the symptoms are VERY much like ours and they immediately go away.

Zero chance of any local dealer having the experience/tooling to build a new fuel map (and the EPA would shit a brick if they could/would).
I'm thinking along those lines also. I've been referring to it as a transmission control problem since that seemed to be the popular thinking. But I also knew that it could be engine control. I think that theToucan is on to something. I can see this (at least what I'm experiencing) as a miss. It's very slight, and it's gotten better over time. What's confusing me is that I thought that all of these modern cars ran rich from a cold start to get the cats up to temperature faster. If that is true, then that runs counter to what theToucan is saying about running too lean . So I'm not sure what's happeneing, but I like theToucan's theory that it is a miss that we're experiencing. It now makes more sense to me than a transmission software problem.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hello everyone, it's been a while since I last posted.

Hope you're all safe

My car hasn't been driven much these past couple of months, especially with working at home, I drive it over the weekend to run some errands here and there, that's about it, so far have 2800 miles on it.

To be honest guys, this hesitation issue has become a big issue for me, to the point where it is affecting how much I like and care about the car anymore.

Here is my situation, if the car sits overnight, the next day when I start the car if I drive the car before the temperature reaches normal operating temp. the car hesitates really bad for the first 10 minutes or so, then slowly subsides but I continue to feel it. HOWEVER, if I start the car and let it sit idling for 15-20 minutes, then drive it, the hesitation is much less.

I live in Florida, so we don't have cold weather, and I use premium SHELL or Chevron gasoline online, and all fluids are synthetic as you guys know.

I don't have the time to take it to the dealer, and frankly, I feel that i would make a big scene if the dealer tells me it is normal.

If you guys have suggestions or recommendations to me, I would truly appreciate it.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sportage 3.3L V6 SXL AWD and 2012 Kia Sportage 2.0 Turbo SX AWD
3 Posts
I'm going through this hard shifting issue right now. I just purchased a used 2016 Kia SXL V6 with 75K miles.
I drove the car back to the Acura dealer and said fix it or take it back.
They sent it to their sister Kia dealer and it has been there for two days.
I told the Kia service I am aware of them brushing it off as expected behavior and we're not going to play that game. They should keep it until their techs figure it out.
I'm expecting to get a substantive update tomorrow.
I'll let you know how it goes. Until then I'm driving around in a loaner 2020 Acura TLX.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL-Turbo
169 Posts
Hello everyone, it's been a while since I last posted.

Hope you're all safe

My car hasn't been driven much these past couple of months, especially with working at home, I drive it over the weekend to run some errands here and there, that's about it, so far have 2800 miles on it.

To be honest guys, this hesitation issue has become a big issue for me, to the point where it is affecting how much I like and care about the car anymore.

Here is my situation, if the car sits overnight, the next day when I start the car if I drive the car before the temperature reaches normal operating temp. the car hesitates really bad for the first 10 minutes or so, then slowly subsides but I continue to feel it. HOWEVER, if I start the car and let it sit idling for 15-20 minutes, then drive it, the hesitation is much less.

I live in Florida, so we don't have cold weather, and I use premium SHELL or Chevron gasoline online, and all fluids are synthetic as you guys know.

I don't have the time to take it to the dealer, and frankly, I feel that i would make a big scene if the dealer tells me it is normal.

If you guys have suggestions or recommendations to me, I would truly appreciate it.
Good to see you back on the forum. I would say it’s Kia corporate time. Month after month people are complaining about this issue. I completely get why you would lose enthusiasm about your Sorento. Someone needs to put pressure on Kia to get a solution. As a last resort you might try having a conversation with the service managers at various dealerships near you.

Suggestion, I would give a call to Jenkins Kia of Gainesville, Fl. The service manager there is excellent. You could ask what he is doing at his dealership to fix it. I took my Sorento there to have my ECU update done, I was visiting family in Gainesville. Excellent dealership experience. He was very easy to work with, much better than any of the dealerships I have in the Miami area. Wish I had something else to suggest. Best of luck, keep us updated.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento SX
45 Posts
I'm going through this hard shifting issue right now. I just purchased a used 2016 Kia SXL V6 with 75K miles.
I drove the car back to the Acura dealer and said fix it or take it back.
They sent it to their sister Kia dealer and it has been there for two days.
I told the Kia service I am aware of them brushing it off as expected behavior and we're not going to play that game. They should keep it until their techs figure it out.
I'm expecting to get a substantive update tomorrow.
I'll let you know how it goes. Until then I'm driving around in a loaner 2020 Acura TLX.
Isn't this issue supposed to be affecting only 2019+ Sorentos with 8-speed transmission? Yours would be a 6-speed I believe?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Isn't this issue supposed to be affecting only 2019+ Sorentos with 8-speed transmission? Yours would be a 6-speed I believe?
Yes, mine is a 6-speed, but this hard shifting is not unique to the 8-speed. There are a couple TSBs for this issue on the years with 6-speed transmissions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the Kia dealership to fix the shifting issue under warranty. I just had to leave it with them for over a week to have time to experience it and figure it out.
They solved it with a refresh/reprogram of the TCU.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento V6 FWD
2 Posts
First post, thought I'd chime in here. Been following this thread for a while. We too have had the hesitation/apparent misfire on our 2019 V6 LX since we bought it used with 19k miles on it in Spring of 2019. Brought it to the dealer to have the TSB update on the transmission, which didn't really do much. Noted the issue every time we brought it to the dealer to have the oil changed and tires rotated. I usually do oil my self but felt it was important to have a record of the issue on file. Every inspection returned the "can not duplicate, performs as designed" on it. Well about 5 weeks ago with 35k miles on it our Sorrento started stalling out at low rpms, either at idle or moving less than 5mph. Been at the dealer since. They were about to tell us last week, once again, they can't duplicate the issue and send us on our way when it stalled on them twice during a test drive. #feelingvindicated Anywho, they were able to actually look at the data of what occurred during the stall and like in the previous post here, discovered the ECM needs to be replaced. So here we are, waiting what they say will be 6 weeks since it's on backorder while we put around in our Forte loaner car. Thought I'd share. Was really getting tired of telling our dealer over and over there's an issue, and each time them telling us nothing is wrong. Here's hoping a new ECM makes it run smooth as butter as all the reviews out there say.

·
Registered
'19 Sorento S V6 AWD in Snow White, 2021 Seltos SX turbo AWD
296 Posts
Here's hoping the new ECM gets you straightened out. And Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
19 Posts
I just gave up and got used to it after having them look at it and drive it 3 times and telling me they could not feel it. Mine never has stalled, you actually do get used to the slight stumbling after a while and just adapt to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First post, thought I'd chime in here. Been following this thread for a while. We too have had the hesitation/apparent misfire on our 2019 V6 LX since we bought it used with 19k miles on it in Spring of 2019. Brought it to the dealer to have the TSB update on the transmission, which didn't really do much. Noted the issue every time we brought it to the dealer to have the oil changed and tires rotated. I usually do oil my self but felt it was important to have a record of the issue on file. Every inspection returned the "can not duplicate, performs as designed" on it. Well about 5 weeks ago with 35k miles on it our Sorrento started stalling out at low rpms, either at idle or moving less than 5mph. Been at the dealer since. They were about to tell us last week, once again, they can't duplicate the issue and send us on our way when it stalled on them twice during a test drive. #feelingvindicated Anywho, they were able to actually look at the data of what occurred during the stall and like in the previous post here, discovered the ECM needs to be replaced. So here we are, waiting what they say will be 6 weeks since it's on backorder while we put around in our Forte loaner car. Thought I'd share. Was really getting tired of telling our dealer over and over there's an issue, and each time them telling us nothing is wrong. Here's hoping a new ECM makes it run smooth as butter as all the reviews out there say.
Welcome to the forum and to the V6 problem club🤣. Thank you for the information on the possible solution with the ECM. After the transmission thud on between gears (1 & 2) and cruise 6, I've had the engine stall / loose power a couple of times. Battery is new and alternator working perfectly. If it occurs immediately after leaving home I stop and restart the engine a minute later which solves the problem for a day. I then got an ODB2 scanner to check and clear these ECM errors. I will request the dealer to check the ECM at the next annual service in December. Thank you.

161 - 180 of 192 Posts