Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought two 2019 Sorento SXLs and both have same problem with stumbling hesitation between 25-55 mph when accelerating or going up inclines. Dealer says it’s a solenoid in new 8 speed tranny and all do it. Very frustrating for intown driving. Called Kia and they just referred me back to dealer. Love the car other than that. 26.5 mpg on 2600 mike trip from VA to FL and back. Mostly I95 at 75-80 mph.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
893 Posts
Lordy, I hope we're not about to see the fiasco of the early 2010 Hyundai tranny solenoid repeated here.
Rumor back then (and that's all it was) was that poor/lack of anodization of aluminum solenoid part caused it to stick. Some could be beaten into submission with a code change that presumably hammered the solenoid a couple of times rather than just a single enable signal. Some had to be replaced.

·
Registered
Sorento 2016 SX V6 6AT, Civic 2006 LX AT
541 Posts
Bought two 2019 Sorento SXLs and both have same problem with stumbling hesitation between 25-55 mph when accelerating or going up inclines. Dealer says it?s a solenoid in new 8 speed tranny and all do it. Very frustrating for intown driving. Called Kia and they just referred me back to dealer. Love the car other than that. 26.5 mpg on 2600 mike trip from VA to FL and back. Mostly I95 at 75-80 mph.
Are you driving in ECO mode? or Normal? i found that this hesitation was greatest with the ECO mode and i'd press down on the accelerator even more. i dont see it as often in Normal which i have switched to now. my assumption is that if i drove in Sport i wouldnt see this at all but then I'm not willing to trade fuel economy for that. instead i switch to manual at that point and then back to auto when the automatic transmission can manage on its own

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,139 Posts
.... Dealer says it’s a solenoid in new 8 speed tranny and all do it. ...
Yep, every unanswered problem is always described by auto companies as 'normal operation'. For them to try dismissing this by saying 'they all do it' is astonishing, considering that Hyundai/KIA began working on this 8 speeder in 2012 in order to create the smoothest possible shifting transmission under all conditions. And what does 'it's a solenoid' mean exactly? Are they saying that one of the solenoids is defective? Could it mean that the factory put an extra solenoid in, or left one out by mistake? Or perhaps 'solenoid' is just the word of choice to throw out to BS the owner.

My first suspect would be a mistake in the engine/transmission management computer programming of these vehicles, which of course is JMO. But whatever the actual problem is, they better quickly move beyond 'they all do it' and get it fixed, because Hyundai/KIA already has way more than their fair share of black eyes.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX V6 AWD Conv. Pkg. Tech Pkg.
182 Posts
I've read lots of reviews on the 2019 Sorento's, and no one else has mentioned this problem, which leads me to believe it is not normal and can be fixed.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX V6
6 Posts
Just bought a 2018 with the V6 and noticed the same thing a couple of times in normal mode.

I wanted to ignore it and hope that it was not really there since it is a new car.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL AWD
151 Posts
Just bought a 2018 with the V6 and noticed the same thing a couple of times in normal mode.

I wanted to ignore it and hope that it was not really there since it is a new car.
Since yours is a 2018 and does not have the "new" 8 speed", the explanation saying it is due to the (2019) 8 speed must be because they have no idea and to get the 2019 customer to go away and accept it as norm. I have not experienced that problem (so far).

·
Registered
Sorrento 2017 LX
2 Posts
I've got the same problem on my 2017 LX Sorrento. Bought the car used w/ 20,000 miles on it, it now has 32K on it and if I had noticed this stumbling problem I might not have bought it. It was really bad till I disconnected the battery for an hour to reset the transmission shift points. It seems maybe 50% better now, still bugs me though. Strange both your Sorrentos have the same problem, can't believe others aren't seeing it.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More tranny woes

Had vehicle to a different dealer and was told the stumbling hesitation is because the 8 speed is a dual clutch transmission and to check back in six months because Kia will Probably have a software update for transmission. Can’t find any info that it’s a dual clutch tranny!!

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
314 Posts
Not sure why a dual clutch automatic would cause a hesitation, maybe just the opposite. Generally accepted that a true dual clutch auto outshifts any manual or automatic transmission ever made. Not aware that the 8 speed was such an animal. My LX V6 6spd auto is smooth as butter in normal and sport mode, not so much in eco. Eco seems to hold on to every gear until the bitter end when trying to accelerate so that the car feels like it's hesitating and then finally does the downshift and kicks back on for a few seconds and, if you are still trying to accelerate, will go through the whole process again. Other than kicking it all the way to the floor, I think Eco mode is dangerously slow to downshift. It might return another mpg but I wish I could permanently lock it out on my vehicle. And I wish the car would stay in sport mode once turned off and back on - it does it in eco mode so you know it's just a programming issue.

If the OP's car is doing it in all modes then I suspect a software update with be forthcoming in a fairly short period of time - this is a bread and butter vehicle for Kia, it absolutely has to be right.

·
Registered
'16 Kia Sorento LX
76 Posts
Two '19 SXL's? You must be rich. :) It was all my poor parents could afford to buy a used '16 LX with 17k miles last year. lol. :D Blessed however. :)

All jokes aside, I have a friend with a '19 EX, I will ask her about how hers performs. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento
52 Posts
Bought two 2019 Sorento SXLs and both have same problem with stumbling hesitation between 25-55 mph when accelerating or going up inclines. Dealer says it’s a solenoid in new 8 speed tranny and all do it. Very frustrating for intown driving. Called Kia and they just referred me back to dealer. Love the car other than that. 26.5 mpg on 2600 mike trip from VA to FL and back. Mostly I95 at 75-80 mph.
My 2019 sxl exhibits a surge/ chug at 25 - 35 mph. It is similar to attempting to drive in 4th or 5th gear when driving at lower speeds. Moving the automatic shift lever to manual mode shows vehicle already in 5th. I think this is a software issue that could easily be resolved for drivability. Obviously the quick upshift is to help potentially improve gas mileage. I am sure the standard response is “ they all do it”. However, that is not an acceptable answer. I will pursue with my dealer and attempt to have a District Service Manager review with me. I only have 1500 miles and have not had my first service yet.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo AWD (sold)
771 Posts
Had vehicle to a different dealer and was told the stumbling hesitation is because the 8 speed is a dual clutch transmission and to check back in six months because Kia will Probably have a software update for transmission. Can’t find any info that it’s a dual clutch tranny!!
The person who told you that is an idiot. It's a conventional automatic with a torque converter.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
281 Posts
Dual clutch ! I wish.

My Sorento is not showing any shifting / lugging. Only at 300 miles so the software may still have the trans in break-in mode...

And I avoid eco mode

Noticed that highway cruising in sport mode leaves it in 6 rather than ever upshifting to 8.

·
Registered
2019 KIA Sorento EX Prem
3 Posts
2019 EX Prem V6 and have the same issue. Very pleased with the vehicle overall, but have noticed this "Skip" as well........a friend of mine drove my car and they too noticed the "Skip". Have yet to return to dealer to check it out.

·
Registered
Sorento Ex 2018
45 Posts
Sounds like lugging. The transmission is probably in 5-6th gear with converter locked and when you give more peddle you get lugging. Seems a software update could unlock the converter after x amount of peddle counts or have it drop a gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL
8 Posts
2019 SX hesitation issue

I have a 2019 SX and a search for this hesitation issue landed me here. For me, it's most noticeable when you are accelerating from between 5 and 15mph. I live near a traffic circle and you merge at a slow speed then accelerate and it's very noticible. When I hit the gas, the car "stumbles" making you think it won't accelerate or is stalling. Only lasts a split-second but every time it make your heart jump a little. I'll try it in different mode since it usually just stays in Eco. Have to take it to dealer soon for oil change and I'll have them take a look. Thought it was just me so thanks for posting. Let you know if I get an update.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
793 Posts
I have a new EX V6. There is a little chugging at those speeds in ECO mode, and Smart too. I just leave it in Comfort.
Keep in mind, the torque peak is at 3500 RPM, so at lower speeds and gears it has less torque than the turbo for example, which peaks at 1700 RPM.
So the simple answer is probably downshift, or give it more gas pedal, and stay out of ECO except on the highway.
I had the same experience in my 2016 SX. I just changed my driving style to make it work.
Remember, this is a 4000 pound plus vehicle, it will never perform like a Hemi charger.
But since I am used to it, it really does not bother me. I just know when to give it more gas and the car responds properly.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts