Kia Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX AWD 2014 Forte Koup SX 6spd MT
123 Posts
I had pirelli p zeros on my cobalt ss back in 2006, they lasted 4000km, they were $400/tire at the time, I then put kuhmo uhp tires, can't remember which model. And I got about 18000km on them and they had way better traction. Now remember these are uhp tires so treadwear sucks and I was about 19 at the time so I had a heavy right foot. I will be putting Hankook v12 evos on my forte when the stock tires wear out. So I don't think the pirellis are worth the money but some people do like them so I don't know.... for the sorento, I'm still undecided on what tires to go with if i ever get bigger wheels or change the tires. Heard lots of people don't like the stock kuhmo tires though.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento Ex V6 AWD - 3.3L GDI V6 - 20" x 8.5" Menzari VM08 wheels, Yokohama GeolandarH/T-S275/45
255 Posts
I personally didn't have any issues with the factory installed Kumho City Venture tires, but then again I didn't drive them very long in the snow here in the GTA (Toronto) Canada either. I put on winter tires on the factory wheels and they were being used from the first real snowfall until this upcoming weekend before I put my new(er) 20"s on for the spring/summer after a fresh road force balance job.

I didn't have any issues with the Kumho's as far as traction, durability, road noise or comfort etc. goes, no complaints from me. BUT, I did just trade them and the summer wheels I had them on to upgrade to the 20" wheels and tires, so I can't comment on any long term issues they might have for others. I had a max of about 18,000km on them, and they still looked and felt like new, to me anyways.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
573 Posts
Just to be on the least change in overall diameter, nearest to the OEM offset, and tires not sticking out of the car, buy wheels and tires with these specs:

Wheels
20x8.5
+35ET minimum
<29 lbs / wheel

Tires
255/45/R20

I've spent countless hours on the internet about this things and by far this is the best specs to go with a 20" setup.

Try at your own risk though.:D

·
Registered
2014 Sorento Ex V6 AWD - 3.3L GDI V6 - 20" x 8.5" Menzari VM08 wheels, Yokohama GeolandarH/T-S275/45
255 Posts
If you go with a 255/45R20 on a 8.5" x 20 rim with +38 offset, it will be very close:

Diameter 739.2mm 737.5mm
Circumference 2322.3mm 2316.9mm
Poke 45.3mm 70mm
Inset 145.3mm 146mm
Speedo error 0% 0.23%
Reading at 30mph 30mph 30.07mph
Reading at 60mph 60mph 60.14mph
Ride height gain 0mm -0.85mm
Arch gap loss 0mm -0.85mm

You can mess with the figures to get the look you want (less or more sidewall, sticking out more or less, wider look from the front/rear of the treads etc. and if you pick the correct sizes, you'll be within 1mph of the oem wheels and tires, which isn't bad.

As long as you're within 1-2km/h or 1mph it shouldn't mess with the engine computer, speedometer, odometer etc. More sidewall or a wider tread across the top will increase your sidewall % as well, and you'll get a smoother softer ride, and less will give you a rougher ride but sportier feel and better cornering. But these aren't race cars lol, they're big heavy suv's right?

Good luck! 20's look nice on these Sorento's ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
question for the experts

i live in southern california and just bought a 2016 sorento lx v6 with awd in snow pearl.

i want to get 20" or 19" rims put on the car...american racing vn806s in black satin to be exact (sorry but the forum won't allow me to post a picture or link to the rims).

with these tires:
for the 20s: falcon ze950 255/45/R20, or 245/45 or 50/R20...... or for the 19s: same tire in a 245/50 or 55/R19

the whole thing will cost me about $1750 with the 20s ($1000 on the rims and $750 on the tires), and a bit less with the 19s (maybe $1500 total).

however, i have never done anything like this before, and am concerned about so many issues (but especially about everything fitting correctly in the wheel well, and fitting with the awd etc.)

now i'm studied for several hours, and even cut and pasted all of your expert comments and sent them to the shop where i'm having the work done (especially some posts by: @gdi 3.3 l, @greatauror28, and @The Wizard), but i was wondering if i could get some direct input/advice.

1. i'm seeing different opinions about the decrease in comfort with lower aspect tires, with some saying that there's a negligible difference and others saying that it's very noticeable. from my side, i favor increased performance (and good looks), over cushiness, but don't want to be feeling like i'm driving a go cart, or bottoming out every time i hit a bump in the road.

2. i've seen concern expressed over hitting the inner fender (or perhaps other things while turning), and so i'm wondering if any of these configurations will run a risk of screwing up the actual drivability of the car. fyi, i have 5 kids, so when my family and i go for a ride we have anywhere from 800-1000lbs in the car.

3. also, what do you think about these tires? are they good? comfortable? other suggestions?

4. i like 20s, but could easily go with 19s, if it was strongly advisable not to stray outside of the oem specifications for the vehicle (which has 19s as the largest rim offered on the upper trims)

fyi, i've just begun learning about rims and tires, over the last 24 hours, so i apologize ahead of time for whatever ignorance i display here.

you all seem extremely knowledgable, so any advice would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
did you guys find out your offset? lug pattern, wheel size and offset are found behind the wheel sometimes at center bore area..

·
Registered
12 Posts
@kobi411 of course: sorry, i should've given that info. here it is:

for the 20s
size: 20" x 9"
bolt pattern: 5x114.30
offset: 40
b/s: 6.57 (i don't know what this spec is?)
bore: 72.6
load rating: 1680lbs

for the 19s:
size: 19" x 9"
bolt pattern: 5x114.30
offset: 40
b/s: 6.57 (i don't know what this spec is?)
bore: 72.6
load rating: 1400lbs

americanracing.com/wheel/23434/vn806-fastback
americanracing.com/wheelSpecs/6371/1902/23434/vn806-fastback

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX AWD 2014 Forte Koup SX 6spd MT
123 Posts
Willtheyfit.com is a good link to use to play around with offsets.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'15 Sorento EX
514 Posts
i live in southern california and just bought a 2016 sorento lx v6 with awd in snow pearl.

i want to get 20" or 19" rims put on the car...american racing vn806s in black satin to be exact (sorry but the forum won't allow me to post a picture or link to the rims).

with these tires:
for the 20s: falcon ze950 255/45/R20, or 245/45 or 50/R20...... or for the 19s: same tire in a 245/50 or 55/R19

the whole thing will cost me about $1750 with the 20s ($1000 on the rims and $750 on the tires), and a bit less with the 19s (maybe $1500 total).

however, i have never done anything like this before, and am concerned about so many issues (but especially about everything fitting correctly in the wheel well, and fitting with the awd etc.)

now i'm studied for several hours, and even cut and pasted all of your expert comments and sent them to the shop where i'm having the work done (especially some posts by: @gdi 3.3 l, @greatauror28, and @The Wizard), but i was wondering if i could get some direct input/advice.

1. i'm seeing different opinions about the decrease in comfort with lower aspect tires, with some saying that there's a negligible difference and others saying that it's very noticeable. from my side, i favor increased performance (and good looks), over cushiness, but don't want to be feeling like i'm driving a go cart, or bottoming out every time i hit a bump in the road.

2. i've seen concern expressed over hitting the inner fender (or perhaps other things while turning), and so i'm wondering if any of these configurations will run a risk of screwing up the actual drivability of the car. fyi, i have 5 kids, so when my family and i go for a ride we have anywhere from 800-1000lbs in the car.

3. also, what do you think about these tires? are they good? comfortable? other suggestions?

4. i like 20s, but could easily go with 19s, if it was strongly advisable not to stray outside of the oem specifications for the vehicle (which has 19s as the largest rim offered on the upper trims)

fyi, i've just begun learning about rims and tires, over the last 24 hours, so i apologize ahead of time for whatever ignorance i display here.

you all seem extremely knowledgable, so any advice would be most appreciated.
1. The difference in ride quality between tires depends on many factors including the design and materials used in the tires, the design of the suspension, types of roads, and personal preference. So a change that causes one person to say that the ride becomes harsh might make another say that the ride became more controlled. In general, if all else is equal, a smaller sidewall will make the ride firmer and create less sidewall "squirm" in cornering but the other factors determine whether that change is helpful or annoying.

2. Rubbing on the inner fender is seldom related to aspect ratio or even overall tire diameter. It is almost exclusively related to tire/wheel width. On the other hand, rubbing on the outer fender relates to width, diameter and wheel offset. The 255/45R20 tires should not cause any rubbing issues, even when loaded.

3. Don't know. They have a good reputation but I've never used them myself.

4. I wouldn't worry too much about straying from Kia spec on wheel size. The important spec is overall diameter (actually circumference) of the wheel/tire combination in order to maintain speedometer accuracy and related driveline components. Selecting a tire for the larger wheel that keeps the circumference close (by adjusting aspect ratio) will work fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@The Wizard and @kobi411 thank you for all your advice/input. here's the latest plan:

lorenzo wl032 black 20" ($1180)
http://www.customwheelsexpress.com/images/WL032Black.jpg

nitto nt850 255/r45/20 ($640)
i was told these are really good tires

here's what this setup gets me, according to willtheyfit.com (oem vs. new setup):
Diameter 737.3mm 737.5mm
Circumference 2316.3mm 2316.9mm
Poke 47.9mm 73mm
Inset 129.9mm 143mm
Speedo error 0% -0.03%
Reading at 30mph 30mph 29.99mph
Reading at 60mph 60mph 59.98mph
Ride height gain 0mm 0.1mm
Arch gap loss 0mm 0.1mm

and according to wheel-size.com (oem vs new setup):

Rim Diameter 432 mm 508 mm ↑ 18%
Rim Width 178 mm 216 mm ↑ 21%
Backspace 130 mm 143 mm ↑ 10%
Offset 41 mm 35 mm ↓ 15%
Typical Weight 9.4 kg 15.7 kg ↑ 68%
Tires (235/65 R17)(255/45 R20)
Section Width 235 mm 255 mm ↑ 9%
Sidewall 153 mm 115 mm ↓ 25%
Overall Diameter 737 mm 738 mm ↑ 0.0%
Circumference 2316 mm 2317 mm ↑ 0.0%
Revs per mile 695 695 =
Typical Weight 16.8 kg 15.8 kg ↓ 6%
Rim + Tire Weight 26.2 kg 31.5 kg ↑ 21%

Tire is 4 mm closer to suspension/brakes components. Rim is 13 mm closer to suspension/brakes components. Acceptable for most cars

Tire will stick out 16 mm farther. Rim will stick out 25 mm farther. Make sure that you have enough room under the fender. If not, consider narrower tires or higher offset

everything looks clean, but i have a question:

1. should i go with a wider tread (265 or 275)?
i ask because i'm not so into the height aspect of an suv, and i thought this might give some more stability.

2. wheel locks; yes or no?

3. black or chrome lugs? i've been told that black gets scraped up easily and looks bad quickly?

4. anything that's off here? or anything else i need to consider?

thanks again for the feedback and help?

·
Registered
'15 Sorento EX
514 Posts
1. I would not recommend going to a wider tire because you would have to decrease the aspect ratio (and hence the sidewall height) in order to maintain the same overall circumference. The added width won't really help with stability but the reduced sidewall will accentuate the firmness of the ride. The track width (distance from outside of left tire to outside of right tire) is the determining factor in roll stability unless you get into changing suspension components. Adding 20mm (less than an inch) to the overall width isn't going to have a significant impact.

2. Depends on where you live. I have them on all vehicles despite not being in an area where I would worry about wheel theft but I just like that extra bit of insurance. Wheel locks aren't going to stop a pro (or determined) thief but they are good for stopping snatch-and-grab thefts of opportunity. On the other hand, they can cause problems for shops when rotating tires or doing brake work, etc. They need to be installed and removed by hand but many grease monkeys will just use the impact gun on them causing all sorts of problems.

3. Chrome. Personally, I hate the look of all-black wheels. They may look fine sitting still but once you're moving they just look like a cheap old-fashioned steel wheel where the hubcap has come off. So any contrast you can add is good.

4. Can't think of anything else.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My experience

I have a 2013 kia sorento sx with 255/45/20 9.0 35+ offset hub centric rings are needed ...Ride is def. harsh but makes your ride stand out...on a smooth pavement your ride is a dream...nice and quiet....i've always put aftermarket rims on all my rides so the roughness never seemed to bother me. I used to have a bmw x3 with 35 profile tires and with that i was nervous about but im more of a cruiser...N.Y.C. rides are no joke...But other then a lil roughness ride quality is good. Below are pics of mines.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
@esco289 thanks for the feedback and the pics. what kind of tires do you have? and have you tried different brands?
your welcome. Honestly i bought wheels as a package so i got the wheels with tires and of course i'm sure they gave me probably some b.s. tires. I mean they look good I never heard of them though "velozza zx4" . They seem to have 3 stars out of 5. If I had a choice of tires I personally like hankook.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,144 Posts
IMO, Don't do it. The 2015 and older EX Sori's have a firm ride, & can be jarring over hard bumps as it is with my stock 235/60/18" tires. This will be amplified with bigger wheels, & shorter sidewall tires. In the dry, you'll gain some traction, and handling but loose some in the wet, even more in the ice, & snow. It all depends on how wide you go? Excessive Hydroplaning could be a problem. Plus, you will probably lose some gas mileage with wider, heavier, wheels, & tires.

I agree with the Wizard, I don't care for the black wheel look either, I prefer Chrome like what's on the SX's, or a complementary color. IMO, with black wheels, & tires, the car looks unfinished? Even with white lettered tires on black wheels it makes me think of NASCAR. My son wanted to put these exact wheels on his Honda Pilot, but went with a better looking Velocity wheel, and Continental tires.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX
444 Posts
Here you can see the difference with out a load
Hey man, your sorento looks awesome. I am just wondering where did you get that silver trim piece on the lower sides near the side skirts (the long silver trim piece).

Thanks in advance.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts