Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
Ceed 2015
7 Posts
well, at least here in the UK they are starting to crack down on texting and driving its now 6 points on your licence and a bigger fine.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, at least here in the UK they are starting to crack down on texting and driving its now 6 points on your licence and a bigger fine.
Good to hear.

Some states in the US also police it, but not where I am.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's illegal back when I used to live in Washington. Tons of people still do it and just sit there at a green light until they get honked at.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Remember "Coffee is HOT" and "don't use electrical appliances in the bath tub or in the rain"...
Reminders for people to stupid to know better and should be placed in rubber rooms for protection...

Yes... Distracted driving (actually what it is) can be dangerous but again here we go with BIG BROTHER (our governments) needlessly protecting us with laws... rather than taking control of our surroundings...

Drinking coffee/beverages, eating a hamburger or fries, taking a glimpse at the scenery passing by also happens and of course none of use ever do this... Are we as humans getting dumber over the past 50 or so years and NEED our society to protect us from being "Killers"... ?

It's all called "common sense" and risk management... We all are constantly being barraged with incoming stimulus while driving... (speed, the other driver, gauges, GPS directions, the radio, temperature change, adjusting mirrors and seats) and MOST of us do very well with these "killer" distractions...

PLEASE....NO MORE unneeded regulations....
Dave

·
Super Moderator
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Two years ago I traveled to Maryland, and the absence of dumb people on their smart phones was pleasing to see compared to Kentucky, and both states have the same laws - what could be the differences between the two states, smarter people, or policing?

I've had too many close encounters while on my Harley with distracted drivers, and a close work associate and friend was critically injured in an accident caused by a distracted driver - I would welcome whatever is done in Maryland to feel just a little safer on the roads.

Yes, distracted driving comes in many forms, but lets be honest, smart phones have become the leading offender.

Distracted Driving

Texting and phone use are leading causes of distracted driving. The law in Maryland prohibits the use of a handheld phone while driving. This includes the writing, sending or reading of a text or electronic message. Avoid a fine and park the phone before you drive.

All distractions endanger drivers, passengers and pedestrians. Most distractions involve cognitive and sensory distraction. When you make a call on a hand-held phone you are not only holding and looking at the phone, you are also dialing, listening and thinking about the conversation.

Driver distractions include:

Texting
Using a cell phone or smartphone
Eating and drinking
Talking to passengers
Grooming
Reading, including maps
Using a navigation system
Watching a video
Adjusting a radio, CD player, or MP3 player

Remember distractions are:

Visual - looking at something other than the road
Auditory - hearing something not related to driving
Manual - manipulating something other than the wheel
Cognitive - thinking about something other than driving

·
Registered
2007 Rondo and 2000 Tacoma
111 Posts
Two years ago I traveled to Maryland, and the absence of dumb people on their smart phones was pleasing to see compared to Kentucky, and both states have the same laws - what could be the differences between the two states, smarter people, or policing?

I've had too many close encounters while on my Harley with distracted drivers, and a close work associate and friend was critically injured in an accident caused by a distracted driver - I would welcome whatever is done in Maryland to feel just a little safer on the roads.
I lived in western Maryland for years.....lots of police on the road compared to West Virginia and Pennsylvania. The result, Maryland drivers generally drove a lot more cautious than the drivers in those nearby states.

P.S. but I’m glad I’m back in N.C. : )

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento V-6 EX FWD
123 Posts
I live in northern Maryland. The other day I was watching drivers in the other lane. It appeared that about 20% of the drivers were distracted looking down at something or talking on a phone. Women were the worst offenders looking down and men were worse for talking on a phone. One day was almost hit three times by distracted drivers.
I learned my lesson early on when cell phones first came out. I was talking on one and darned near got killed.

·
Registered
Kia Soul!, 2011
113 Posts
In southeast Virginia (Hampton Roads) is the same. In stop and go traffic during rush hour, some 1 in 3 drivers are watching their phones. Heads bobbing up and down. They leave bigger gaps in front of them and that only compounds the traffic problem that we have (roads can "carry" a limited number of cars per hour, based on number of lanes, average speed and the distance between cars).
What's worse, I see bored people (AA females mostly) literally dancing in their driver seat, hands in the air and all.
Police enforcement? Nowhere to be seen in rush-hour traffic, or if they get caught in that... officers are on their phones too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts