Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought it might be a good idea to have a central problems thread similar to many other forums. It can be a quick reference for people to see if others have had the issues they're experiencing, and how they were fixed.

I'll start.

2012 Rio SLS Manual:

• rattle in top of steering column - fixed by dealer with padding tape
  • pinging on 91RON - unresolved, i use 95 minimum now
  • jerky clutch/throttle issues on takeoff only - unresolved and changes with the ambient conditions
  • loud rattle in top of dash/instrument cluster over railway lines and harsh bumps - unresolved at this point
  • twitchy rear end over corrugated roads, sometimes in straight line - unresolved but it seems the nature of this solid rear end/suspension combo
  • sometimes cruise control won't engage, it turns on but won't set. This usually happens while stopping for some food on a trip, leaving the radio on and driving off again after. I managed to stop this issue by hitting the door lock button while sitting there with the engine off - weird one. Otherwise you have to turn the car off, get out, lock it with the remote, and start again then it resolves.
  • noisy pulley which i believe is the a/c pulley - unresolved at this point

Sounds like a lot but many are minor. It's a great car but needs some little things perfected.

When listing issues if you could add your build date too (not rego date) that would be helpful to isolate build date issues.

What have other people had?

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
So far, almost nothing to complain much about. Service very soon.

• Small rattle in top of dash passenger site over railway lines and harsh bumps.

• Gripped and whiny brakes even after two days in indoor parking when cold and humid.

• Driver's front door not flush with body.

• AC not very cold but Heating hot as hell.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well OzSLS.... you outlined our main one!

* pressure plate bolts came loose and lunched a few bits in the gearbox - in the process of being fixed

Apart from that, not alot!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
  • Traction control has a few issues when fitted with wheels larger than 17" (fixed by turning off traction control)

• Using iPod cable in extended high heat and head-unit will have problems detecting the iPod (standard non UVO units)

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio EX
34 Posts
sometimes cruise control won't engage, it turns on but won't set. This usually happens while stopping for some food on a trip, leaving the radio on and driving off again after. I managed to stop this issue by hitting the door lock button while sitting there with the engine off - weird one. Otherwise you have to turn the car off, get out, lock it with the remote, and start again then it resolves.
My cruise would behave like yours after decelerating from highway speeds and then trying to reset it to city speeds. I took it to the dealer a couple times and eventually they adjusted the brake switch. It still does it, but not as often.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My cruise would behave like yours after decelerating from highway speeds and then trying to reset it to city speeds. I took it to the dealer a couple times and eventually they adjusted the brake switch. It still does it, but not as often.
that's interesting as i suspect one of the pedal cutout switches to be causing my throttle issues on takeoff too. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Its not my 289 AC Cobra.

Seriously. Its the drivetrain. I'd love a non-electronic engine with a serious 6 speed manual. I like my engine power in microseconds. That is, not operated by Microsoft: "You pressed the 'Go' pedal. Are you sure you want to go?"

Otherwise, for what its meant to do, it does a darn fine job. I keep wanting to leave it but I keep coming back .

·
Registered
Kia Rio Si 2011 UB
1 Posts
I have Rio Si 2011 UB Hatch , the first batch of production. Made SEP 2011.

As well as having most of the noise problems you have I have more;
Also from Korean forum

1. Leather steering peeling off - Going to get a replacement steering wheel installed next week
2. Squicky/twitchy rear end over corrugated roads, especially over a speed bumps it gets worse, could be from the hatch door or the chair - going in for a look next week too.
3. Front suspension going over a speed bump wider than a metre causes it to knock hard unless driven really slowly even though the bump isn't so high.
4. Front Cup holder area gets really hot due to inadequate insulation - I think newer batch have better insulation. Even in winter times, the coins that I put in there gets warm, and in summer it gets hot actually.
5. Rear trunk right side gets really hot after a bit of normal driving due to inadequate insulation. After shopping, try putting ice cream on right side of the boot. It will be totally melted. This is due to the exhaust not being insulated properly under the boot.

This are few that I have found.
Dash rattle is really annoying too...

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2. Squicky/twitchy rear end over corrugated roads, especially over a speed bumps it gets worse, could be from the hatch door or the chair - going in for a look next week too.
4. Front Cup holder area gets really hot due to inadequate insulation - I think newer batch have better insulation. Even in winter times, the coins that I put in there gets warm, and in summer it gets hot actually.
5. Rear trunk right side gets really hot after a bit of normal driving due to inadequate insulation. After shopping, try putting ice cream on right side of the boot. It will be totally melted. This is due to the exhaust not being insulated properly under the boot.
i have those issues too - the cup holder is useless on trips unless you put a hot drink there as it'll end up hot either way. I've also commented on the twitchy rear end in mine several times, it even steps out a bit in a straight line over corrugations. I don't like it at all but will fix with better suspension at some point. Got any pics of your steering wheel? I thought mine was wearing fast for a sec but it just gets really dirty really quickly on mine, unlike anything i've ever seen. I know some are peeling though.

And thanks for the reminder about build date - mine is a March '12 build.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
There are so many claiming leather is peeling on the steering wheel but still no pictures. Are they like a UFO or in the witness protection program;)?

·
Registered
RIO SLI 6M 5DOOR
3 Posts
My Jan 12 built SLI manual Hatch had its first service in Feb 13 with some 11000 kms on the clock. The cruise control engagement problem also occurred on several occasions and dealer could not replicate it. Most annoying... I now believe it is linked to a faulty ignition barrel/lock whereby the round red light stays on permanently which also will not allow the doors to be remotely locked. Dealer ordered new barrel in Feb but is yet to contact me re. fitting it. I noted that I could fix the cruise control by turning off and on the ignition (the red light disappears).

The dash had had a rattle/squeak since day one and it seems worse in cooler weather where perhaps less expansion occurs. Dealer could not fault it in Feb service!!!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx+
110 Posts
2013 LX+ ... got mine in january it only has 3500 kms and it is in the shape because the fan went on it .

1. fan went on it .
2. AC isn't cold enough. Supposedly there is an update to fix that
3. ECM update needs to be done to fix the ticking from the engine.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio SLS
21 Posts
Had my 2013 SLS for 3 weeks now...

Couple of wee squeaks around the dashboard.

The plastic cover for the rain sensor behind the rear view mirror is terribly loose & has fallen off twice when hitting a bump.

Headlights seem out of alignment... Left hand unit seems to point up... To the point where several drivers have flashed me thinking my main beam is on & when following someone the light 'shadow' seems significantly higher on the left hand side of the rear of the car in front.

3000km freebie service due in a week or 3... Will get checked then.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx+
110 Posts
Hey to all the people that also noticed the AC is horrible. I was just in a different kia loaner vehicle for a few days and it was cold as hell. So its not all kia.
There is a service bulletin about getting an update that fixes AC logics for our Rio. Maybe that will strengthen the AC a bit ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all,

2000km on my Rio 3 door.

* Bluetooth calls get sent back to the phone every 15 minutes. Kind of annoying.
* front tyre blew out the side wall at 1500km. it is with Kuhmo at the moment checking out why... I hadnt hit anything or gone through a pot hole..

Other than that.. damn its a nice car for the price.. :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts