1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you thing of this:
2013 Kia Rio Wood Grain Dash Kits | Carbon Fiber

I think about this for a while. I find the interior of my Rio EX quite dark and dull. Dark grey all over. This would add some punch in this black environment. But I wonder: would it look kinda kitsch or '70s? There's a whole set of pieces but not all of these are of some interest. Please tell me what you think.
Thanks. Racineur.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Used sparingly yes it would look nice in the darker wood stains but too much and it looks tacky. Sometimes little changes can make big difference

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi. Tacky...That's what I'm afraid. At the same time, the interior of my Rio is so dark. A friend's friend visited and he said he drove an Accent so I asked him to how it to me. First thing: the interior has two or three shades of gray and the car is luminous which is the only thing I like better than in my Rio!!! One interior for my Rio EX: dark grey not even a touch of pale gray. Any suggestions to brighten things up a bit?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Take a look how Dodge dressed up the Dart's interior:

In the Dart the interior is all black and they have used red in small amounts to make the interior stand out.

Ive also done similar thing with my other car where I wanted the interior to stand out from all the other ones:

I used combination of gloss black, red pin-striping and red micro-suede.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take a look how Dodge dressed up the Dart's interior:

In the Dart the interior is all black and they have used red in small amounts to make the interior stand out.

Ive also done similar thing with my other car where I wanted the interior to stand out from all the other ones:

I used combination of gloss black, red pin-striping and red micro-suede.
Hi and thanks for the hint. I too think the Dart's interior is stunning. Now that the car is on sale, I wouldn't trade my little Rio for it but I find the Dart quite remarkable inside and out. And I like what you did to your car, Where did you find red pin-striping and red micro-suede. Were these material ready to use or you customized them? Not sure I'd like to go there though. Again: your interior is charming.
R.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Thanks racineur. I really like the woodfinish which would go well with my SX Beige Leather Interior.I know younger people don't like wood but it would give my car a resemblance to my old Bentley which also has Burl walnut & Beige Leather interior.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hi and thanks for the hint. I too think the Dart's interior is stunning. Now that the car is on sale, I wouldn't trade my little Rio for it but I find the Dart quite remarkable inside and out. And I like what you did to your car, Where did you find red pin-striping and red micro-suede. Were these material ready to use or you customized them? Not sure I'd like to go there though. Again: your interior is charming.
R.
The pin striping vinyl you should be able to get it from any auto paint store or any auto retailer. Not sure what you have in Canada but the stuff is easy to get hold of here in Australia. You can get it in a few colours and in different thickness.

The material, either eBay or any material shop will have it. eBay will have it cheaper but you only need a small amount. About 2meters would be enough to do the interior of a Rio.

Cheap too. All up to do my other car it cost around $80 all up. That included the pinstriping, material, vinyl dye (I used a dye to do all A, B, C pillars and roof lining) and gloss black paint.

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
@TJ85- Thats an awesome change to the boring and annoying Lancer interior. I'm actually extremely impressed. XD

Where'd you get the suede from? And how much?
I'm considering doing my roof lining in Alcantara to match the sports seats.

·
Registered
463 Posts
@TJ85- Thats an awesome change to the boring and annoying Lancer interior. I'm actually extremely impressed. XD

Where'd you get the suede from? And how much?
I'm considering doing my roof lining in Alcantara to match the sports seats.
I got the suede from the US on eBay. Far cheaper there than here. I think it was about $25 including shipping for 2m of it. The vinyl dye was most expensive bit of it, that aint cheap per can...

If anyone does decide to use vinyl dye; dont put it back on the car for a couple days. It will give you headaches for a week. I left them overnight then put them back in the car next day and had to drive with all the windows down for the next few days :lol:

Potent stuff...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts