Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Optima 2.4 EX, 2005 Yamaha R1 (street) 2001 GSXR 1000 (track)
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This post is mostly for Sedona (model year 2006+), Sorento (2007-2009), and Amanti (model year 2007+) owners whose engine is equipped with the 26320-3C100 oil filter, but useful info for anyone.

We all know the importance of maintenance on our vehicles. Whether it's done at the dealer, a large franchise/chain service station, an independant, or even if you do it yourself. As long as it gets done. I am posting this to bring an issue to your attention:

Beware of oil changes at Valvoline Service Centers (maybe others as well). Here's why... Every time I bring in one of the vehicles listed above for an oil change and see an oil sticker from Valvoline I find that the filter has fallen apart. I've seen this happen as soon as 1500 miles after the oil and filter had been changed (customer came in with an oil leak concern, the filter housing o-rings had not been changed in a long time and were leaking, then I saw the filter).

THIS IS NOT A RANT AGAINST VALVOLINE!! I am aware they don't make these filters themselves. The filters are supplied from an outside vendor. The 3 pictures attached are what I find over and over again. The first two are just to show the differences in the OEM filter (on the left) and the one being used by Valvoline (on the right). The last picture is what the poor quality filter looks like after being used. Please note that the filter media has actually separated creating a gap for the oil to bypass the filter (to some degree anyway).

For those of you who keep up on your vehicle maintenance, I commend you. But if you are not using OEM parts PLEASE be aware of what goes into your vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Sedona, base model.
54 Posts
Looks to me as if you are comparing new OE filters with used aftermarket filters....

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,804 Posts
Looks to me as if you are comparing new OE filters with used aftermarket filters....
The important fact that he is drawing attention to some "aftermarket filters" are falling apart.

It also draws attention to the high quality of the OEM filter.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,902 Posts
KIA and Hyundai have to honor the 10yr 100k warranties "if" you use the filters that has their name(s) on it.... The non OEM filter manufacturers only have to replace the bad filter with another...
Use OEM or WIX filters to be safe... FRAM is one of the worst offenders in making poorly made filters...
KIA/Hyundai filters are available on Ebay for under $4 when buying 6 or more...
Dave

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
614 Posts
IMHO, the best course of action is to do the work yourself with proper oil and filter etc.

I had Kia dealer do rear main seal replacement on our Forte under warranty, it was still leaking after their first job, seeping after second job and they DIDN'T put a clamp on top rad hose that caused losing more than half coolant on way home from dealer (less than 10 miles), wife picked up the car and sure didn't check under the hood.

Nobody will ever do anything for you with better care than yourself.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX-V6 Luxury
220 Posts
I purchase KIA filters on Amazon & then have the service company use one of these.:) I REFUSE TO USE A QUICKY LUBE PLACE AS MOST HAVE STAFF THAT ARE NOT QUALIFIED.:eek:

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX AWD
239 Posts
Holy resurrection of dead thread, Batman!

Fram filters are all over the place in terms of quality. Their Xtendedguard filters are well above average though. See the linked analysis below. The cartridge filters in my 2013 Sorento appear to be made in the same factory in Korea whether you buy them from Kia itself or Fram. They are identical. I would have no qualms about using their Xtendedguard filters in any of my vehicles.

Oil Filter Comparison Study - GM Truck Central

·
Registered
2014 Sorento LX V-6
141 Posts
Bad-mouth Fram all you want, but I used nothing but the basic orange Fram oil filters on my wife's 1999 Ford Contour (2.0) and changed the oil (regular, not synthetic) & filter myself every 4K miles. When we traded it in for the 2013 Soul, it had 187K miles on it - ran like new and used not a drop of oil between changes, ever.

Oh, and we were stationed in Germany for 3 years and regularly ran 90MPH on the autobahn. (The slow lane - LOL)

BTW - I do use KIA filters on the Soul because of warranty concern, plus I worked at the KIA dealer as a webmaster and got the filters for $6.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts