Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 kia Spectra
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically my drive to work is about 10 mins , the car is usually just getting warmed up by the time I arrive . My question is , is that substance just moisture mixing with oil ( only seems to happen when its cold out , I don't remember it happening when it warms up ) it looks like a thick yellow sludge . I run mobile 1 15k protection full synthetic in it. This is basically just my woork car and dd. I do notice also that when coming to a stop the heat doesn't seem to be as hot as when I'm driving and the idle is up. Car has 88k on it and no cels nothing at all has been running great ( is running great !) I changed oil at like 82-83k miles and the level is still good everything looks ok aside from that yellow substance , so any insight would be great thanks !

·
Registered
06 KIA Spec5, 2000 HD Roadking
1,515 Posts
I would guess that it is moisture becaue the car is'nt driven enough to get the oil hot enough to burn off the moisture. It would not hurt to take it out at least once a week and drive it for a while until the oil temperature gets up to normal.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
I would also HIGHLY suggest that you change the timing belt "IF" you haven't. You are at the CRITICAL mileage for it to break. The engine is an "interference" type engine and when/if it breaks you WILL trash your engine.
They break right around 85k miles on average...
Dave

·
Registered
2005 kia Spectra
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would also HIGHLY suggest that you change the timing belt "IF" you haven't. You are at the CRITICAL mileage for it to break. The engine is an "interference" type engine and when/if it breaks you WILL trash your engine.
They break right around 85k miles on average...
Dave
I changed the timing belt aat like 75k :) so are we assuming moisture buildup with oil ? I was thinking that neways so thanks guys !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oil and Coolant Mix

You may be on the verge of having your head gasket blow. If your not getting heat your heater core is plugged which is also indicative of a head gasket going or gone. Seek professional help before it gets worse.:(

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
if its not alot of that it just might be moisture. plastic seems to collect moisture alot specially when expose to heat then cold. the vavle cover and oil filler cap is made out of plastic. also you might wanna change your oil every 3000 miles since it is doing that.

·
Registered
2005 kia Spectra
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i should have re-phrased that about the heat. I get heat (very good heat actually) Just happen to notice that when i stopped at a stop light it wasn't quite as HOT as when i was driving :) May be normal, it was by no means not blowing warm air; just not as warm as it is when im cruising! Thanks guys and ya that yellow substance seemed to diminish when i drove for a good hour or so. (it is mostly around the oil cap)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts