Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I've swapped a year 2002 engine into a year 2000 vehicle. It was just the engine itself that has been swapped - including the head. I re-used everything else ie all the air intake IAC MAF - Inlet manifold etc. There was an issue with the oil filter arrangement as the old engine had a cooler that had water circulating round. I got over that by joining the pipes to bypass the redundant use.

Does anyone know if there are compatabilty issues with the IAC & MAF ? I ask as I have an idling problem now. The engine starts easily enough but just doesn't idle properly. I did start a thread about too fast idling which I addressed as I had a split hose that leaked extra air into the inlet. The engine ran well after that for a couple of days but gradually the idling has deteriorated. Rev the engine and its fine but release the throttle and it almost stalls - not quite stopping but rough idling and then its very lumpy even though the rpm is 8-850 with the engine juddering about.

All help gratefully received.

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,174 Posts
I'd guess sensor or ignition-related - I would checking / reseating all sensor connections: MAF, Engine Coolant Temp, Air Intake Temp, Idle Air control, Throttle Position Sensor, Cam Sensor, Crank Sensor, Upper o2 Sensor, Knock Sensor, Oil Pressure Sensor..

Review your ground points are good and clean: Battery Terminals, Battery -> frame, Battery -> motor..

Review the condition of the lead to the coil packs: if the connectors to the coils / wiring are brittle or cracked: replace that lead.

--
I'd start with the basics first though / the most obvious sensors, but move to the less obvious ones as you troubleshoot through the issue..

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
02 Sportage 4x4...66 Shelby GT350...70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler
196 Posts
A couple of those connectors are the same, and can get mixed up. I think it is the IAC and TPS, but can't remember for sure. Double check those connections for proper routing. Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts