Kia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
Just bought an '04 Gold Amanti with the black leather package. Talked to the Audio guys this evening, am going to either install Roady 2 or XM Commander this week. The cool mod will be having the XM head unit installed in the fold down sunglass compartment where it can be hidden when not in use. Will have to use the FM transmitter in the XM head unit. The existing stock Infinity stereo/CD changer unit is pretty good with 4 Ohm speaker output, can easily retro-fit other speakers if necessary. The existing stereo will not accept direct connect of XM head unit so direct digital is not possible unless I remove the stock stereo.

I liked the idea about taping off the vertical grill areas, will have to try it. Gotta find a good black electrical tape.

Have not got the courage to begin removing the Amanti logos yet.

Thanks for the info, I will post some pic's of the interior XM mod when finished.

Gred2197

·
Registered
17 Posts
I too added XM to my Amanti the first day after I got the car. I have tried the XM receiver in several different places. I had it in the left drivers vent and it worked well except that it was an arms reach to press the buttons. I thought about putting the unit in the sun glasses area but didn’t want to modify the compartment also you have the problem with the three sets of wires. I also tried it just above the sun glasses area on the ceiling using Velcro (hook side holds well to the ceiling material if you wiggle it around and push a bit) but the angle wasn’t right and I would have to take may eyes off the road while driving to see what song was playing, so in the end after trying over half a dozen places I settled for in front of the empty left drivers side switch area (shown in the picture below) If you use this place you can push the black button slots out from behind they snap in on the top and bottom, just ignore the wires that are plugged into it. Run the wires out along the edge of the far left holder. If you don’t place the XM unit all the way to the edge (near the door) the steering wheel will block some of the display while driving.

I also looked into replacing the stock Infinity radio but was told that I would no longer be able to use the current amp in the system (left-lower-trunk) or the radio buttons on the steering wheel. So for the thousand dollars plus, for a basic radio and amp just wasn’t worth it. Now in regards to the internal XM FM transmitter, not so good! I tried it and it sounds too much like AM radio, try the tape adapter, huge difference! I myself use the tape adapter and ran the wire from it into the dash just above the tape deck opening.

Good luck on which ever direction you go.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you look at the diagram in the audio user's guide for Amanti, you can see that the 16p connector (cdp/cdc connector) carries the signals from the CD (ground/left/right) on pins 6 through 8. This is undoubtedly how the CD sound gets into the amp to the speakers. Tap those wires and send an audio signal at line level in (say, an iPod) and it'll run it through the main amp. Or, mount a small mini-8 mm connector in the dash which will switch out those wires when a plug is inserted. Plug in your ipod, it cuts the CD out and the ipod gets sent to the amp instead. The only problem is getting to the 16p connector and/or wiring harness.

-Owen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts