Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2012 EX V6 Luxury Sorento - Dark Cherry
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a lot of issues with my 2012 Sorento and it led to me writing a letter and the response is I've now been offered to upgrade to a 2014 SX at the same payment but for a new 60 months.

The issue is I've made 17 payments already on it plus traded in my car so that means I've lost about $15,000 to drive a car that I had nothing but issues with.

Any suggestions? Is it worth upgrading?

This would mean my wife would have to wait an extra 17 months to get her next car which likely won't go over well. Thought I'd check with complete strangers before her.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX AWD
7 Posts
I think it's impossible to answer your question without knowing how much your monthly payments are/will be. Are we talking only $200 per month or upwards of $600?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Payments are close to $700/month. Told my wife and she said she'd kill me if I did this deal as it's been nothing but problems for 18 months. The crazy thing is I sent that letter 8 months ago, they admitted that they ignored it, resent it a few weeks ago and they offered this. I would have jumped on that offer six months ago. I think I'm in way too deep at this point. Just thought I'd throw it out in case people thought it was a good deal.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SX- mine, 2012 Hyundai Azera- Mom's
79 Posts
A payment of $700 for 60 months will cost you $42,000! That is financing the whole price of the new car and giving you nothing for your old one. That's a scam is what that is!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am in Canada so the prices are quite higher with taxes but it is insane to take a $15k loss to drive a vehicle that was problem plagued from the moment driving off the lot.

About a year ago they offered me another grand gesture where I could just return the vehicle and they would assume the payments. This was after 5 or so payments and a trade in of over $3000. That time I was insulted big time.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX AWD
34 Posts
mrestyle,
I had a similar thing happen with me but for me it was a bit different.
I had a 2012 Sorento SX fully loaded which I bought for $495/month for 72 months
I had a big problem with it and KIA blew me off until I sued them. By then I have made 12 payments on the car totaling almost $6000 plus my trade in at $2000 which comes out to $8000.
To make the story short, we have settled outside court where KIA paid me back my $2000 for my trade in and paid off the remaining loan on the 2012 sorento which was $26000 and took it back and upgraded me to a 2014 Sorento SXL (limited fully loaded) but this time it is a lease for 36 months at $489/per month with option to buy at $23100. They also made my first month payment on the lease and gave me 15000 miles/year.

According to my lawyer, this was an excellent deal so I took it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am in Canada so the prices are quite higher with taxes but it is insane to take a $15k loss to drive a vehicle that was problem plagued from the moment driving off the lot.

About a year ago they offered me another grand gesture where I could just return the vehicle and they would assume the payments. This was after 5 or so payments and a trade in of over $3000. That time I was insulted big time.
What is the price of the model in Canada with taxes? It lists for ~$40,000.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
What is the price of the model in Canada with taxes? It lists for ~$40,000.
just like in the US, it varies from province to province with regards the tax rate, here in Ontario its 13%, Alberta is only 5%. :D

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
I was curious so did some checking: (for US readers 5% of these figures include the federal GST - Goods and Services Tax)

Alberta, Nunavut, Northwest Territories, Yukon - 5%
Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Ontario - 13%
British Columbia - 12%
Nova Scotia - 15% (by July 1, 2015 it will drop to 13%)
Prince Edward Island - 14%
Saskatchewan - 10%
Quebec - 14.975%

·
Registered
2018 Sorento EX+ V6 / 2018 Forte 5 LX
58 Posts
Ok, so we were the highest until HST was forced on us. Before HST we were 15.5%

Sadly I preferred that, because we never paid the 10.5% on electricity, heating, books, clothing, gas. The tax rate went down, but without those exemptions, my bank balance also went down.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the comments, I hope it doesn't lead to a lawsuit. Kia Canada charges a good 20% more than the US for same vehicle, I think they can afford to make things right but so far so bad. My vehicle was 40k, the 2012 SX is about 40k as well.
Taxes in Manitoba are now 14%.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Kia Canada charges a good 20% more than the US for same vehicle, I think they can afford to make things right but so far so bad.
How do you figure? The SX in Canada is equipped more like an SXL here in the USA, which costs $42,000.

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
547 Posts
Pretty difficult to compare U.S. vs Canadian Sorento's on price. The Cdn SX is equipped similar to the U.S. SXL AWD (No SXL in Canada). Only major difference is the SXL has nappa leather seats whereas the Cdn SX does not. 3rd row seating is an option for both.
The Cdn and U.S. KIA website price the SX and SXL respectively at a little over $40,000. So only real difference is whatever price can be attached to the nappa seats that the SXL has.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento EX+ V6 / 2018 Forte 5 LX
58 Posts
When our dollars hit parity a few years ago and people started heading south to buy cars for much cheaper, and the car companies were getting bad press about the price gap, they contered that by chaning the equipment so it's harder to compare across the border.

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
547 Posts
Some of the differences reflect desirability of options. For example in Canada, heated 2nd row seats are standard starting at the EX and heating steering wheel with the SX. In the U.S., you cannot get either unless you get the SXL; not an issue in the south but I would not be happy with this if lived in northerly states.
Conversely ventilated seats are only available as std with the SX in Canada whereas are standard or optional on all but the LX-V6 in the U.S.
I suspect the nappa leather feature is not available in Canada to keep prices down given that there is not both SX and SXL models available.
My only gripe is fewer colours/colors available. I would have personally liked a red SX. colour so popular on many reviews.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts