Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Wife- 2013 Sorento EX FWD, Me- 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. My wife is in the market for a fuel efficient SUV. Right now we have it narrowed down to the Sorento, Equinox, and the 2013 Ford Escape. I am pulling for the Sorento because I just bought a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid and I love the car so far. It seems that with both companies, you truly get a lot for your money.

We test drove the Sorento and she thought the 4 cylinder didn't have enough power. I have been reading this forum and also comparing the actual fuel efficiency at fuelly.com and it seems that the actual fuel economy for the 4 cylinder and V6 is very similar. So if we were to get the Sorento, we would get the EX V6 FWD.

Now I know that both the Escape and Equinox are going to get much better mileage than the V6 Sorento but I absolutely hate the stereo dash in the Equinox (I know it is a really dumb reason not to buy a car but just look at it) and the Escape is going to be a lot more expensive than the Sorento since it is a brand new model.

From reading the forum, it seems that besides the disappointing gas mileage, there is some squeaking as well. What I am wondering is if there are any other things that you don't like about the Sorento. Or are there things that you love about it?

Anything you could say either way about your car would be very helpful. She is against getting a Kia just because it is a Kia, but I know the whole company has been changing over the years.

And one more thing. After I got my Sonata, I have joined the Hyundai forum. There are some members on there that have been able to get "Plan A" pricing for other members about to buy a new Hyundai. The Plan A is pretty much employee pricing. Is there anyone on this forum that has any connections to Kia that would be able to hand one out?

Thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento LX AWD I4 - 2007 Acura RDX AWD I4 Turbo - RIP 1995 Audi Cabriolet
40 Posts
I for one love my Sorento (4 cyl AWD). Just turned 19K miles with no squeeks rattles or malfunctions. I also will most likely not return to a domestic brand again given all the quality and value offered by the non-domestic makers. Kia is up there with Honda for reliability quality and at a much more price competitive.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX AWD CRDI; 2007 Sportage EX CRDi 4WD; 1967 Mercedes 250S; 1958 DKW 3=6
372 Posts
Definitely! Already considering buying a second Sorento in place of my Sportage.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Cadenza SXL Smokey Blue/white
359 Posts
I usually don't re-purchase same vehicles, although I have owned several Accords over the years. So asking about a re-purchase is not a great question unless you mean if I had to do it over again and if that is what you meant, I would strongly consider that if I could live it all over.

There is nothing earth shatteringly different among most cars/suvs on the road today and I feel that the Sorento combines good looks, a great ride, good reliability, features and costs to justify owning one.

It also is not as popular as many other SUVs and I like that fact too. You can't go wrong with purchasing one. The model configuration you seek is a good choice too. It will combine a good feature/option package without the extra cost of the SX although I prefer the dressed up looks of the SX and it was well worth the extra money to me.

As for the ergonomics of the Equinox and thinking it is not a significant reason to not want to purchase one? You are going to be living with that radio configuration for a while, it should not be unappealing before you purchase it, it would drive me crazy every time I got into the vehicle. Good choice to avoid that purchasing mistake given the similarities between your choices.

I would not rule out waiting for the 2013 Escape though. It will have some cool technology that surpasses the Sorento and one feature I wish the Sorento had which is a power operated liftgate. Not only will the new Escape be power operated, it will open via a wave of your foot under the rear bumper. Gimmicky? Yes, but a cool feature in our modern, hands loaded with junk lifestyles! Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I usually don't re-purchase same vehicles, although I have owned several Accords over the years. So asking about a re-purchase is not a great question unless you mean if I had to do it over again and if that is what you meant, I would strongly consider that if I could live it all over.
Yes, I never really asked the question of the thread title because I started a rant. I meant to say if you could go back in time and do it all over again, knowing what you know now, would you still buy your Sorento.

As for the ergonomics of the Equinox and thinking it is not a significant reason to not want to purchase one? You are going to be living with that radio configuration for a while, it should not be unappealing before you purchase it, it would drive me crazy every time I got into the vehicle. Good choice to avoid that purchasing mistake given the similarities between your choices.
Yeah, that is a good point. Unfortunately this is my wife's car and I want her to pick what she wants. I might just try to sway her a little. Just even all the buttons and knobs feel cheap when you use them. Ugh!

I would not rule out waiting for the 2013 Escape though. It will have some cool technology that surpasses the Sorento and one feature I wish the Sorento had which is a power operated liftgate. Not only will the new Escape be power operated, it will open via a wave of your foot under the rear bumper. Gimmicky? Yes, but a cool feature in our modern, hands loaded with junk lifestyles! Good luck!
We are actually going out today to test drive the 2013 Escape. The dealer called us a few days ago saying they got their first one. That is why we are going to be making our decision soon. They just cost a lot more than the Sorento ($4000+ since they won't have any incentives or deals). I'm hoping my wife doesn't like it...

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra,2008 Impala LT
98 Posts
My wife just loves her SX,dont argue with the wife.The somber truth from me on the KIA Sorento,rides too harsh,too harsh equals rattles,handles great but so does my GMC Sierrra 2500 HD and my Impala LT,rates good as far as blind spots much better than the Impala,seating is good,fuel mileage is questionable as is all SUV CUV vehicles,I can get well over 30 mpg out of the Impala repeatable really not apples to apples though.The climate control is a joke,have dual zone manual in both GM vehicles that works so much better.The headlites are really lacking on low beams like a horse with blinders on,nothing to the side.The nav screen and functions, well if I couldnt do better than what Kia did I would throw the towel in.Was impressed that they actually put the speedometer where it belonged,a big pet peive of mine.Tryed out every SUV CUV on the market in the last 2 years and never found one that satisyed our needs until the wife called me while out town and said its a KIA Sorento.Love the wife and maybe the KIA just a bit!

·
Registered
Sorento Lx 2011 2 wd V-6
283 Posts
After 2 Years and 72,000 kms , i can say that i am very satisfied.

I drive lot of highway , average 120 kms per hour and get 9.5 to 9.9
liters for 100 kms.

My wife prefers her Tribute , for the smaller size .
Hope this help your choice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your comments!

I think we are very close to getting the Sorento. We test drove the 2013 Escape today and the brake pedal and gas pedal are way too close. Every time I hit the gas, i bumped the brake. And since it is a brand new car, they were only going to take $500 off MSRP.

So right now my wife is deciding between the Sorento and Equinox. She knows what I want so we will see what she gets. I am hoping to join the Sorento family.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone mind sharing how much under invoice they paid for theirs? Again, we are looking at the EX V6 FWD with the limited and premium packages.

Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't recall the name of the package I got anymore, but it was a 2011 EX V6 FWD with leather seats and the factory-installed navigation/rear entertainment (DVD) system. The latter is mounted on the roof.

I'm a wife and I love it! The kids do too!

Got it for 28,500 in 2010 summer.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX AWD V6 Limited/Panoramic
420 Posts
Yes... Assuming pricing doesn't make it too expensive. I really like my ex v6. Much better then the Mazda cx-7 I had before. Also better then some of the Subarus that we've had.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2009 Kia Sorrento purchased brand new and now I have 52000 miles on it. It has not given me any major issues yet however I am starting to hear some minor clunking in the transmission. I looked on other sites that highlighted issues with the Sorrento transmission and it got me a little worried. Just be sure to look at all angles prior to purchasing a vehicle.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sorento
3 Posts
Maybe

I bought the Sorento because you received alot for the money.

My car has almost 24k miles on it and will be 2 in August. I am constantly in the shop at this point. First it was power failures and having to be jumped and towed, then a wire burned out that no one can find although smoke poured through my vents after using the rear defrost, auto start works but only on the engine - the cabs heat will not work until the key in in the ignition, this week the car wouldnt go into reverse or park and fuse was replaced, next day the gear shift went and is now being replaced. Also have a low knocking sound from the rear when brakes are depressed. So far mechanics can find nothing.

So with this being the last 6 months of my car ownership I am torn on ever buying KIA again. I do love the car but I bought a new car to avoid this crap and the fact that I could have this car for 10 years which would put me right at the point of my son's college graduation which means 5 years no car payments in which I could use that cash for his tuition. Now I may be looking at getting a new car. I am trying to let them fix everything but one fix equals a new problem 1-2 days later.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Optima Hybrid (Premium, Light Graphite)
187 Posts
Best of luck! Sounds like a nice Sorento you're after. I'm on my second Sorento, so I suppose I am a bit biased, but the Equinox was my other top choice. My brother had a lightly used one from his company that he was willing to sell me, so I got to drive it for a while. Its nice enough, and (in my opinion) it is quieter than the Sorento. The only thing I think it has an edge on the Sorento in is that it has more modern electronics - the current Sorento's trip computer is a bit behind the times. But even in 4-cylinder guise, I was only able to match a V6 Sorento's real-world mileage. In my decision process I rented a Sorento for a weekend and drove it the same as I was driving my brother's Equinox. They both returned 24mpgs average. So based on that, I would say any decision should probably be more style/comfort oriented than efficiency oriented.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again for everyone's comments. We decided to go with the Sorento over the Equinox and are happy so far with the decision. My wife loves her car and is getting 24-25 MPG right now without highway driving (although there is not too much traffic by us to be considered true city). We like having the 3rd row of seats. Although we won't use the third row much, it has already come in handy one time so far. The big thing the Equinox had going for it was the adjustable 2nd seat where you could get a ton of legroom if you wanted it. The Sorento's 2nd row is much tighter on the legroom. But she loves the push button start, panoramic sunroof, navigation, bluetooth, power of the V6, and the respectable gas mileage. I just hope the car holds up. We paid for the extra warranty. It was only $1,000 for the full 10 year bumper to bumper but hopefully it isn't in the shop for much.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sportage EX
156 Posts
I had to pass up on the Equinox because the tiny non-active headrest dug into my back all the time, making driving a miserable experience. I also hated the steering wheel controls and the fact that I would have to pay at least $5000 more. I didn't even consider the Escape because I've had only negative experiences with Ford and the 2011 Escape was totally outdated.

As for buying the Sorento again...absolutely. I love the way it handles, the seat is the most comfortable one I've sat in, the active headrest isn't digging into my back and Kia has the best steering wheel controls of any vehicle I've sen to date. My only complaint is the lack of an external temperature gauge on the LX line.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts