Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Kia Rio 5
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm waiting to hear back from the dealership but I'm a bit worried.

Last Thursday I purchased a 2013 Rio 5 SX and signed the finance papers and all the other stuff they make you sign in "the box". However they needed to locate the car. Friday went by with no updates but I was approved for the financing.

However Saturday I got hit with the biggest news, I'm going to be a father. This was completely unexpected, a happy and pleasant surprise just unexpected. Needless to say looking at our budget a brand new car with higher car payments just couldn't work in our budget, not with the new expenses coming up. So I e-mailed my sales person and explained the situation and asked if we could cancel the deal.

I got a reply on Tuesday saying that they found the car I wanted on Friday and it was already registered in to my name. I called and though they understood my situation. I was told they don't think they can unregister the car in my name but they would try and get back to me that night, they didn't. Sadly today the sales person who was helping me had the day off so I got no answers and as far as I know the car hasn't arrived at the dealership but its still registered to me.

What I want to know is pretty much how screwed am I? Will they be able to unregister the car and cancel the deal or because I signed all the finance papers and such, I'm on the hook? Granted I know its not their fault I now have a baby on the way and as much as I'd love to have the car, it's just going put a big strain on us now that we have to plan for a baby. Is there anything they can do?

·
Registered
4 Posts
They are waiting for the bank to fund the deal. Once they cash that check, this will be harder. GO TO THE DEALERSHIP. Ask to speak to the general sales manager, general manager asap. Tell them your situation.Say that you cannot afford it with the new news. Be firm, but come from the standpoint of you can't do anything about it.

If they don't help you fast, find out who the loan is with. Call them and say you have not taken delivery, and if you are forced, you will refuse, and let them repo.

Deals can be unwound. But the quicker you act, the better. The dealer doesn't want heat from his bank.

I used to be a bank rep selling to dealers. This happens often.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,128 Posts
Dont even deal with the dealer, they are not your middle man. CONTACT the people that are giving you the loan.

The dealer might like money to the point where they will want there profit and could say, we called but they said we can't go back on it. You were approved, that is all they care about.

Call yourself.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
11,002 Posts
I'm waiting to hear back from the dealership but I'm a bit worried.

Last Thursday I purchased a 2013 Rio 5 SX and signed the finance papers and all the other stuff they make you sign in "the box". However they needed to locate the car. Friday went by with no updates but I was approved for the financing.

However Saturday I got hit with the biggest news, I'm going to be a father. This was completely unexpected, a happy and pleasant surprise just unexpected. Needless to say looking at our budget a brand new car with higher car payments just couldn't work in our budget, not with the new expenses coming up. So I e-mailed my sales person and explained the situation and asked if we could cancel the deal.

I got a reply on Tuesday saying that they found the car I wanted on Friday and it was already registered in to my name. I called and though they understood my situation. I was told they don't think they can unregister the car in my name but they would try and get back to me that night, they didn't. Sadly today the sales person who was helping me had the day off so I got no answers and as far as I know the car hasn't arrived at the dealership but its still registered to me.

What I want to know is pretty much how screwed am I? Will they be able to unregister the car and cancel the deal or because I signed all the finance papers and such, I'm on the hook? Granted I know its not their fault I now have a baby on the way and as much as I'd love to have the car, it's just going put a big strain on us now that we have to plan for a baby. Is there anything they can do?
There is no 3-day/10-day/30-day "buyers remorse" or "right of rescission" period when it comes to car deals.

If you are really serious about getting out of this deal, you need to go to the dealership in person and demand to see the car that they claim is registered in your name, or at least the registration documents - if they haven't registered it in your name it should be easier - if they have, then it will be legally labeled "used".
Follow up in writing by email any discussions you have at the dealership.

You need to get advice on where you stand according to Canadian law - most here are likely offering advice on US law and business regulations, which differ from state to state.

·
Registered
2012 Rio Hatch, Graphite, Manual w/UVO
66 Posts
I think in Canada you have 10 days to get out of any contract by law. There should be steps on the back of your contract on how to do this.

Sent from my SGH-I896 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2007 Kia Magentis LX
156 Posts
Did you sign for a credit inquiry or for a finanance contract with specific terms (ie: $300 per month for 72 months) ?

If all you signed was the credit inquiry, and you didn't give a deposit...walk away.

When the dealer claims "registered the car", do they mean with your Provincial licensing agency ? or with Kia Canada for the start of warranty ?

If they registered the car in your name with Kia Canada only, walk away...that's thier problem...they are not supposed to do that until the car is delivered / funded (paid for).

Now...if you have already signed a loan agreement, and the car has Provincial registration in your name...the situation is alot more complex...however...if they have Provincial registration in your name, and you didn't sign any loan papers...that's thier problem....walk away.

IMPORTANT...you need to advise the dealer IN WRITING signed & dated. If you drop off such notice, note date & time and to whom you gave notice. Registered mail or courrier service proof is also good.

Not sure about Ontario law, but if you gave a deposit, you may have forfeited your deposit by walking away from the deal.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Rio 5
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been away from the computer the last few days as been in the hospital sadly so just now seen the replies.

I did unfortunately sign the loan papers at the time 2 weeks ago. or the papers that were (Pay $###/monthly for 60 months) and also gave a $500 deposit.

The funny thing is the car was on route to them last week delivered by Friday, than it was going be delivered Tuesday and when Tuesday came no car. Now supposedly it's sitting at Kia's Compound lot where they keep all new cars. The car seems to be only registered with Kia Canada based on what I am hearing therefore its not actually registered in the province, just registered based on Kia.

As it sits now the car is not at the dealership and they are sticking to their guns (the deal cannot be cancelled, it's too late)

If it's going take writing a letter and personally delivering it, so be it.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
As already said...STOP CALLING AND GO TO THE DEALERSHIP! You need to talk to them IN person. Ask to speak to the sales manager. tell him your story.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
11,002 Posts
As already said...STOP CALLING AND GO TO THE DEALERSHIP! You need to talk to them IN person. Ask to speak to the sales manager. tell him your story.
+1, however it may be too late now.

I'm guessing that there's been nothing in writing to them, and this in the eyes of the law will bolster the dealers position.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts