Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've been studying the topic, but I don't know the details about the normal and expected ranges of tire angles and I'm trying to take care of my mom's car while my dad is away for an extended period of time.

She has a 2011 Sorento and the alignment was messed up (would pull to the right). We took it to Pep boys for a $75 alignment and after getting the car back, it seems that the issue is only about 65% better. I'm just trying to figure out now whether or not I should take it back, or if it is just the road crowing to mostly blame. It still sways on the highway in the center lane, but I obviously can't get out and check the grade of the road.

Here is the alignment report. [1] imgur: the simple image sharer

They fixed the front toe but it seems like nothing else. I'm a bit concerned about the front and rear chamber and rear toe values and don't know if I still should be. Especially since the front left chamber I believe is still tilting.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Ummm...doesn't look like they did anything at all. The initial and final readings are almost identical. Your front and rear camber are out of spec. Frankly, I'd ask for my money back and take it somewhere else.

Best,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ummm...doesn't look like they did anything at all. The initial and final readings are almost identical. Your front and rear camber are out of spec. Frankly, I'd ask for my money back and take it somewhere else.

Best,
That's what I thought. Think we should I get our money back and go elsewhere, or have them try to correct it first? Money is a tad bit tight. I paid $75 and gave them a coupon (after the work was done) so it was $65. If I take it to the other shop available they charge $80. Not a big deal, but I would like to avoid it if I can.

Thanks by the way.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
It's up to you. If you've got the time to go back there and just say "um...it still doesn't track straight" then you're more patient than I am. :)

To hand a vehicle back to an owner with the alignment still out of spec when they've PAID for an alignment AND hand them the report clearly showing that....I dunno. Anyone that brazen (or maybe just not too clever) is probably someone I'd rather not have wrenching on my parents' car. Just sayin'...

You might also want to check out this thread:

http://www.kia-forums.com/2011-xm-s...er-kit-available-now-fix-pull.html#post421365

Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,415 Posts
Rear camber and toe need fixed. Its easy and they should have done it, as all rear angles should be adjusted first. LF camber needs brought up to -1.0 to match the RF. It will require a camber adjusting bolt for the strut, and will most likely fix your pull issue. They adjusted front toe only, which unless it was really far out of spec(yours was not), won't cause a pull.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rear camber and toe need fixed. Its easy and they should have done it, as all rear angles should be adjusted first. LF camber needs brought up to -1.0 to match the RF. It will require a camber adjusting bolt for the strut, and will most likely fix your pull issue. They adjusted front toe only, which unless it was really far out of spec(yours was not), won't cause a pull.

Thanks, highlighted them on the paper. Taking it back tomorrow morning to have someone take a look at it. then I think I'll be calling Kia to look into the camber kit they just started putting on the vehicles to keep it from going out of align again. At least that is how I understand it.

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
Report shows "Thrust Angle" unchanged, which is what you would expect if the rear wasn't adjusted. Sounds like they have a laser aligner, but they don't know how to use it.

As for pulling to right or left, some cars are more sensitive to road camber; depends on caster angle of your car. I have a test road nearby which is straight and nearly flat where I test the steering. The road is usually clear enough to allow sitting on the crown of the road. A good set-up will go for miles "hands-off".

Uneven brakes, under-inflation or a bad tyre can affect the tracking as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts