Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you buy a car you usually compromise on the model and end up with options you don't want and don't get some you like.

What are the worst options on your car and which is the best or would you like to have.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
When you buy a car you usually compromise on the model and end up with options you don't want and don't get some you like.

What are the worst options on your car and which is the best or would you like to have.
There is no cosmetic feature added since the 1970's that I consider to be indispensable.

Basically, to be able to buy a 1970's car made to modern assembly standards and durability. Safety may only be added if it does not increase cost or weight.

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
There is no cosmetic feature added since the 1970's that I consider to be indispensable.

Basically, to be able to buy a 1970's car made to modern assembly standards and durability. Safety may only be added if it does not increase cost or weight.
A voice in the wilderness Ace Demon, I sometimes feel modern design has gone too far and soon we will just sit there and the car will do the full job. At, of course a gigantic expence to us and lots of money for the people who fix the gadgets.:D

·
Registered
246 Posts
Safety may only be added if it does not increase cost or weight.
How would that work, everything that is added increases costs and weight (unless its made of exotic material - then the weight may reduce but the cost would increase substantially).

Am I on my own thinking that safer cars are a good idea even if we have to pay towards it.

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
Faster. Safer. Cheaper.
- you can only choose 2 of those options :D

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
How would that work, everything that is added increases costs and weight (unless its made of exotic material - then the weight may reduce but the cost would increase substantially).
I suggested that nothing should be added that contributes to additional weight and cost. So don't add it. It's not a requirement that rules out making weight/cost saving improvements through clever engineering. It seemed to be a process that worked quite well between about 1965 and 1995.

Am I on my own thinking that safer cars are a good idea even if we have to pay towards it.
In the lottery someone wins but most people don't. Being a road casualty is like that in reverse. Although to the individual, being a casualty is unfortunate, the statistical life expectancy of all road user is about 3000 years.

Looking at casualty statistics over the last 40 years, the biggest drop was until about 10 years ago. Over the last 10 years it has started to flatten out so it is not entirely obvious that larding cars up is actually making any difference. It wouldn't surprise me that the loss of glass area and extra width is causing as much of a problem as it saves.

·
Banned
130 Posts
Yes I am all in favour of safer cars. Here are the options I do not want: Paddle Shifts,Flex Steer,Privacy Glass,Auto Headlights, Welcome follow me home.. Rainsensing wipers, Black High Gloss centre facia etc. Sat Nav, Reversing camera,and all the absurd extras on Ceed 4 & Tech. What I do want is TPMS, Auto dip rear view mirror, Dash instruments to include a permanent engine temp display, & trip odometer better headlights. Jack with easy to find, jack points , not two very small V cutouts called tabs. 15" Wheels with better tyres for more comfortable ride and more steering feel. I have fitted the Steelmate TPMS system to my car, but TPMS should have been fitted as standard ,Kia have TPMS system on other models. The only problem with the Steelmate TPMS is that the sensors have to be removed before inflating the tyres. On my two previous Dodge Calibers the TPMS was integral and very accurate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts