Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Sorento EX 4cyl 2wd w/ 53k miles

sudden and very temporary loss of engine power, usually while at cruising speed on freeway - sometimes the engine light flashes for a second, sometimes the immobilizer light flashes (image of a key inside vehicle), sometimes the traction control light flashes (or more than one) as i feel a jolt as if brakes suddenly applied or fuel supply interrupted, tachometer drops suddenly, forward momentum slows, and then things return to normal after a second or two. This happens irregularly, sometimes not for an hour, sometimes 10 times in a 20 minute drive. Its unnerving and unsafe, as my car suddenly slows without the brake lights illuminating.

This has also happened a few times under acceleration from a dead stop (which has me worried about getting rear ended) The car has recently also seemed to shudder while decelerating approaching a stop light, and has actually stalled once in that situation (this is an automatic transmission)

The car has been seen by the dealer at least 4 times for this now, and last time replaced the ABS module - which didn't change a damn thing. No error codes are being thrown and no error light remains illuminated. Any ideas much appreciated!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
If the problem persists after a few fix attempts, you can file for a lemon law. Sound like you may have unfortunately got a lemon.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
If you can arrange it, make a video of the car in action.

Try a different dealership.

Insist that the dealer service writer contact the KIA district rep about fixing your car.

Your car is NOT SAFE. File a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. I will fill out a complaint w/ NHTSA as you suggest. Going back to the dealer on Thursday for more of the same, and if they don't figure it out I will try to force them to re-purchase it under a law we have in California that applies after Lemon Law period expires. I'm surprised I can't find anyone else having the same problem.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I will fill out a complaint w/ NHTSA as you suggest. Going back to the dealer on Thursday for more of the same, and if they don't figure it out I will try to force them to re-purchase it under a law we have in California that applies after Lemon Law period expires. I'm surprised I can't find anyone else having the same problem.
One of a kind issues are the worst problems you can have. It just makes finding a solution that much harder. Just like my neighbours 2012 Focus that snapped the timing chain at 3k kms. Stuff like this happens unfortunately.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
If the problem persists after a few fix attempts, you can file for a lemon law.
The motor vehicle Lemon Law varies by state...I don't know if Canada has a different version in each province or if it is national. Check your state or province's version and see what you need to do to get things started.

In my state, for example, it only applies to vehicles owned by residents of the state and purchased in the state. It is easy to buy a new car in Oregon or Idaho, and some of the dealers there offer great pricing (the taxes are all the same when the car is brought back to Washington), but the Lemon Law will not apply due to the out of state purchase. Other states have their own restrictions on different aspects and their own requirements to force a repurchase...do your homework.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The motor vehicle Lemon Law varies by state...I don't know if Canada has a different version in each province or if it is national. Check your state or province's version and see what you need to do to get things started.

In my state, for example, it only applies to vehicles owned by residents of the state and purchased in the state. It is easy to buy a new car in Oregon or Idaho, and some of the dealers there offer great pricing (the taxes are all the same when the car is brought back to Washington), but the Lemon Law will not apply due to the out of state purchase. Other states have their own restrictions on different aspects and their own requirements to force a repurchase...do your homework.
well gee-wiz my apologies.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
well gee-wiz my apologies.
Just recognized that nowhere has SBP indicated where he was from. Maybe we need to take this problem with a grain of salt? As far as writing to the NHTSA, you can save your time and effort. You will receive a letter noting their receipt of your correspondence, but unless colaberated with many other similar problems, nothing will actually happen so don't hold your breath..
If it is a real problem, suggest he go straight to KIA Hqtrs with his dealer records of attempted fixes and inform them of his problem getting a solution. This is important because he is still under warranty and KIA has been responsive in the past of owner concerns. They know some of the dealers really are not that experienced in trouble shooting (many were used car dealers with small work shops before becoming KIA dealers).:)

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX 3.3 V6 AWD, Snow White Pearl W/Touring Pkg.
73 Posts
Agree 100% with Izzy. Izzy has posted the the correct way to aproach this owners concerns.
Just recognized that nowhere has SBP indicated where he was from. Maybe we need to take this problem with a grain of salt? As far as writing to the NHTSA, you can save your time and effort. You will receive a letter noting their receipt of your correspondence, but unless colaberated with many other similar problems, nothing will actually happen so don't hold your breath..
If it is a real problem, suggest he go straight to KIA Hqtrs with his dealer records of attempted fixes and inform them of his problem getting a solution. This is important because he is still under warranty and KIA has been responsive in the past of owner concerns. They know some of the dealers really are not that experienced in trouble shooting (many were used car dealers with small work shops before becoming KIA dealers).:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm in California, we have a law called Song-Beverly Warranty Act that forces the dealer to buy back the car if cant be repaired under warranty after reasonable number of attempts. It applies after Lemon Law period expires if under warranty. I will go that route and contact Kia directly per Izzy's advice if they can't diagnose it properly tomorrow. I purchased the extended comprehensive bumper to bumper warranty, so everything is covered for 100k, not just the powertrain.
If they repurchase it, I will still consider a new Sorento - I've really liked the car until now as it fits my needs, but i'm also open to alternatives given the repair problems. (brake pedal switch malfunctioned so start/stop button wouldn't work - car towed; transmission recall notice arrived same day the tranny part failed - car towed; satellite radio drops signal way too often, and since my map upgrade my nav system often takes 5 minutes to fire up, meaning i have no back-up camera when pulling out of a parking space and can't enter an address before taking off) hmmmm, maybe I won't consider another one . . .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey SBP, sorry to hear about your issue. I will tell you I had a similar issue with my Hyunday Santa Fe. The engine would cut out briefly, stutter etc. I had taken it to my local dealer as well with no results. Finally I had to wait till it got bad enough till something would show up in the codes. My issue was the coil pack going bad. Once they replaced that all was well. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just wondering whether you bought your FWD new or used with 53K miles on it? Some of the basic I4FWD Sorentos really get abused and are traded early.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
Sbp is having WAY to many things go catastrophically wrong to make it a coincidence. I am thinking that he is a Troll just making the Sorento look bad and in a semi-believable way as it is. Which is to say not really in my opinion. He takes some things that have been reported here and such and combines them together and adds a few other things and viola we have his trolls.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
104 Posts
Well, he was supposed to take it to the dealer, and we haven't heard what they said....so, ya never know, you might be right

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Troll?!

That is hilarious that I would be accused of being a troll. I said I would consider buying another one and really liked my car, so no, I'm not some anti-Kia crusader. In fact my brother, who lives in MN -just like my accuser - bought a 2012 Sorento based on my rec. I also filed NHTSA complaint last week with my name and VIN, feel free to check it out. I just want my car diagnosed and fixed.

So here is the update. I took it to dealership last Thursday. They asked mechanic to take it home for night bc he has a long commute and they wanted to duplicate the problem. He had it wired up to a computer - which they tried once before. Of course the car didn't exhibit the problem. So I gave them permission to have him drive it all weekend. Meanwhile Elk Grove Kia has been nice enough to keep me going in a Camry rental while they figure it out.
Late Monday they left me a message saying they duplicated the problem and ordered parts - which arrive Wednesday. I will call Tuesdaynto see what they found and what parts they ordered - I'm just glad they found something. I will share details when I find out. Happy to share my service records with the wing-nut conspiracy theory people too!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, and Izzy, I bought it new in May 2010 - an early model. I've run only Mobil 1 and definitely am not hard on it - lots of freeway miles for work - I just seem to have bad luck.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,932 Posts
sbp...
Here's hoping they found the problem..
I don't think you are a "troll" but your filing a complaint with the NHTSA won't get you anything more than trouble with KIA. As you said you gave your name and VIN...
KIA corporate and the dealer can ALSO see your "complaint" just as easily as anyone else and it could have an adverse effect on their attitude towards getting it repaired.
A Google search on just the VIN should bring it up easily. I have searched VINs on salvage cars to find who could buy a car for me "salvage" because my state won't allow me to buy them directly...
You may have a valid complaint BUT you should wait until ALL attempts to repair the car under it's warranty have been tried.
Just some thoughts...
Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New update. Dealer duplicated problem while it was hooked up to computer - finally! Misfiring on #1 cylinder noted w/o error code, they want to replace spark plug and coil pack. They also noted problem w/ electronic throttle body and will replace that too. Hopefully this is the ticket. I won't know for a couple of more days as they will probably send it home w/ mechanic again after the fix to monitor it.

Ding ding ding to Boyd for suspecting the problem was coil pack related.

Could not care less if NHTSA report makes Kia grumpy. I've got an enforcrable warranty. If they fix it, great - I've got my car back. If they can't, they will have to buy it back under the law and have to disclose the problem to a buyer - so I'm glad the problem would be findable by google search. It simply isn't safe if unfixed and I wouldn't feel good about someone else taking it on. Hell, I'm grumpy too - several visits w/o a loaner car, and being told "we can't duplicate it, it's safe, just keep driving" kind of sucked the last few months.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Seems as though the dealer is actually really trying to make good on the vehicle. Particularily since the problem was not consistant and there were no original trouble codes indicated, which is normally the basis for initial trouble shooting. Since it is a 2010, recommend that they make sure all the TSBs related to the VIN have been done as well.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New update

Dealer replaced coil pack, spark plug and electronic throttle body and thought car was good to go. Theybwere wrong. Nothinghas changed- exact same problems noted. Car disconnects from cruise control w a jerking motion, and if not in cruise control mode still experiences same sudden loss of power and drop in rpm's.

The dealer tried diligently to fix it - kept car for a week and put 500 miles on it while hooked up to computer. They gave me a loaner the whole time. I have no beef w them but this isn't getting better after 5 or 6 service attempts and I give up. I'm calling Kia customer care to see about them buying back my vehicle or replacing it. I can't believe nobody else has experienced these symptoms - uggghhhh.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.