Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul+ 2015, 2.0 L NU GDI
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok let me just start this out with, I am not a car person. Please don’t eat me alive for not knowing certain things, that’s literally why I’m asking for help...
So I went to the dealership on Wednesday to do the recall for the knock sensor and rods/bearings that they most recently sent out. In it it says they’ll do an engine inspection for fuel/oil leaks and repair anything they find.
Their systems are down but since it was my only day I would be able to be there, I asked them to run a diagnostic because my car has been loud at startup and slow to accelerate from low speeds. Something felt off and I figured since I was there I might as well. They initially thought maybe it was a problem with the catalytic converter. They told me to do the tests they’d have to keep it overnight to do a cold start test.
Get a call on Thursday saying the cat is good. And that they moved on to testing the engine. They did a compression test and it came back as low pressure. They did a wet compression test which improved the pressure. So they say that indicated a worn piston ring in one cylinder.
I keep up to date on oil changes and my mileage is only 96k. I’m still under warranty but they’re saying a worn ring is likely not covered. And since their systems are down they can’t even begin the process of the claim let alone do the recall I originally came in for...
I asked if nothing covers the rings, what the plan would be to replace it, and they said they’d have to replace the whole engine.
Has anyone ever dealt with a similar problem? Is this something I should go to a non dealership mechanic to get a second opinion for? Is replacing the entire engine truly necessary or are they yanking my chain? Has anyone ever had a similar problem be covered by the warranty?
If it comes to it, should I replace the engine or should I just trade-in/get a new car?
I really love my car and it’s in perfect shape aside from this new defect so I’m really heart broken at the moment...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh I forgot to mention, my car has thrown no codes, it does not have any smoke or anything coming out on ignition.
Only symptoms are loud start, sluggish accelerating (once it’s at speed it’s perfect), and a slight vibration but nothing crazy.
The only slightly weird thing that was a precursor was that the oil seemed low when I brought it in for an oil change last. But I asked if I had a leak and they said no it probably just uses more than oil and dismissed it...

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,270 Posts
You really did not specify which engine you have. Is it the Soul with a 2.0L Turbo engine?

Nonetheless, rings are covered. But, they won't take the engine apart to replace them. Way to labor intensive. Most likely you will receive a new 'long block' upon which they will move all your other engine parts over to. If and when this occurs give them permission to replace components that they deem worn out and not covered by warranty. (belts and spark plugs come to mind) After you get through this have the transmission fluid changed, for piece of mind, as this is a necessary maintenance procedure most people neglect.

Also, start digging up all old receipts for oil changes and other maintenance items you have performed. You might have to prove you have taken good care of your vehicle prior to getting warranty.

Keep us informed. Ask the dealership for a loaner while your vehicle is undergoing repair. Good Luck!!
There, you did not get eaten alive......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You really did not specify which engine you have. Is it the Soul with a 2.0L Turbo engine?

Nonetheless, rings are covered. But, they won't take the engine apart to replace them. Way to labor intensive. Most likely you will receive a new 'long block' upon which they will move all your other engine parts over to. If and when this occurs give them permission to replace components that they deem worn out and not covered by warranty. (belts and spark plugs come to mind) After you get through this have the transmission fluid changed, for piece of mind, as this is a necessary maintenance procedure most people neglect.

Also, start digging up all old receipts for oil changes and other maintenance items you have performed. You might have to prove you have taken good care of your vehicle prior to getting warranty.

Keep us informed. Ask the dealership for a loaner while your vehicle is undergoing repair. Good Luck!!
Thank you for not eating me!
So they told me that they would need to completely dismantle my engine in order to diagnose and that they would charge for that of what they find is not covered.
And they strongly implied that they are not covered...
Is this something you’ve gone through personally?
Also the dealership is “out of loaners” and since their system is down they cannot begin any kind of process for me.
As soon as I have an update I will definitely post!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,270 Posts
If your the original owner of this vehicle you should be under the ten year - 100K miles warranty, that includes piston rings. You can look it up.
At this point I don't trust the dealership. Once they tear it down they have you trapped for either a trade in or big repair bill. Don't go there....Get thyself to another dealership as soon as possible. Take all the documentation in writing you can get from this current dealership.
If not already using full synthetic engine oil, please start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your the original owner of this vehicle you should be under the ten year - 100K miles warranty, that includes piston rings. You can look it up.
At this point I don't trust the dealership. Once they tear it down they have you trapped for either a trade in or big repair bill. Don't go there....Get thyself to another dealership as soon as possible. Take all the documentation in writing you can get from this current dealership.
If not already using full synthetic engine oil, please start.
I’m not the first owner but I bought it certified preowned so I’m still covered by the 10 year/100,000 mile
Ok yea I feel like they’re being very weird with me and their system being down is certainly not helping...
Thank you so much for your help!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,947 Posts
Something you all may have missed is you will probably have a rebuilt "short block" installed from KIA Corporate...
This will include pistons, piston rings, piston rods, piston and main bearings, and a new or re-manufactured crank...
The old head including the valves, cams, bearings, sensors will be reused... BUT you won't have to worry about having the piston rings replaced on your dime...
I would suggest asking the dealer WHAT will be replaced during the engine work as it sounds like either they don't know what parts will be replaced no charge or they may need to be closely watched during and after...
You might want to contact KIA Corporate also on what parts and work will be done on your car...
Do some homework on what a short block is... and what items YOU will be responsible to pay for...
The work should be FREE...
Dave

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Dave, I did mention to the OP that she may be receiving a long block, or perhaps your correct in stating a short block.

From my take the dealership she is currently working with has already deemed that it is her dime, which we both know is not accurate. If she allows this current shop to tear into her vehicle there is no doubt that she will be on the hook for tear down costs, and she will be no further along the resolution curve. And yes, Kia Corporate should be involved as well. By the sounds of it this current dealership would prefer her to trade in for a new model, which she may not be ready to do, not knowing any details of personal financial health.

·
Registered
2018 Soul!
16 Posts

Lou O...not sure if it matters and I also do not know that I am correct but doesn't the turbo kia's regardless of year only have the turbo on the 1.6L engines?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Mute point at this time. That is why the moderators ask for as much information as possible, which many do not supply. Its good to know the history and content of a vehicle so failure trends among them can be shared. Not so much here.

·
Registered
2018 Soul!
16 Posts
Mute point at this time. That is why the moderators ask for as much information as possible, which many do not supply. Its good to know the history and content of a vehicle so failure trends among them can be shared. Not so much here.
I dig it, but if none of the 2.0L have turbo then it is misinformation which is what I was after. Not the O ring issue. Just clarifying that the 1.6L are the only souls engines with turbo. For anyone else out there that may be reading/gleaning info from another's post.
Make it a great day!!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I dig it, but if none of the 2.0L have turbo then it is misinformation which is what I was after. Not the O ring issue. Just clarifying that the 1.6L are the only souls engines with turbo. For anyone else out there that may be reading/gleaning info from another's post.
Make it a great day!!
Oh, I get it now......The OP has her vehicle listed as a "2015 Kia Soul + with 2.0L GDI".
I asked her what engine she had as it was not really clear in her written post. Turbo or non Turbo? She may not know.
Plus, at this point it doesn't matter. Your comments are taken as "only turbo motor in Soul is 1.6L." for 2015.

Reactions: MileHi Soul Man

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage LX
2 Posts
I’m not the first owner but I bought it certified preowned so I’m still covered by the 10 year/100,000 mile
Ok yea I feel like they’re being very weird with me and their system being down is certainly not helping...
Thank you so much for your help!
I bought a used 2020 Sportage 4 months ago and the dealership told me 10/100 was original buyer only and I would fall under 6/60 from first owner purchase date.:cautious:

·
Registered
2015 Sedona SX-L
46 Posts
I bought a used 2020 Sportage 4 months ago and the dealership told me 10/100 was original buyer only and I would fall under 6/60 from first owner purchase date.:cautious:
The 10/100 warranty is available to 2nd owners that purchase their vehicle as a certified pre-owned. If it's not specifically CPO, or you buy it somewhere other than a Kia dealer, you fall back to 6/60.

·
Registered
2015 Sedona SX-L
46 Posts
To the OP: I think it's wise for you to start getting Kia corporate involved or another dealer at an absolute minimum.

If the dealer is correct in that the piston rings are worn, that should be covered under warranty. Given that the car is very near the end of the warranty, I'm not surprised the dealer is trying to dissuade you from making a warranty claim. They would much rather get you into a new car and make a sale, and putting it out there that you may be on the hook for a large teardown/diagnostic bill is a means to that end.

You must be able to show proof of vehicle service performed on time, especially ones pertaining to the engine, like oil changes. Kia will likely try to find ways to wiggle out of the warranty on a car with that mileage, so it's important you have documentation. If you do, they don't have much of a leg to stand on; it's an engine failure under warranty plain and simple and it's much easier to get results in that scenario. If you don't have service records they can easily say that maintenance wasn't performed and pin the failure on the owner.

Get all service records that you can that pertain to this recent visit, then take them to another dealer. Call Kia corporate and explain the situation and the dealer's position. This should get you going in the right direction. Best of luck to you!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts