Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
ProCeed 3 & Picanto 3
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any work done after failing to adhere to the servicing schedule?

After paying 270 for a few filters and pints of oil I have completed the last few servicing myself.

My front end is knocking (again) after i changed the drop links and I've heard many complaints about wear at the front end.

If this is a mechanical issue does it still become a warranty item to be looked at even though I've not had my servicing book stamped the last few times.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Pro Ceed 2 1.6 CRDi (113)
182 Posts
I thought aslong as the car was serviced at a vat registered garage with oem parts then it would still be in warranty, but the fact you have no stamps might be a problem, does you dealer not do a service plan? I pay about 12 quid a month and that covers all servicing and M.O.T's, so cheap at half the price. Hope they honour the warranty though mate.

P.S - I like your brake calipers, did you paint them yourself and what paint did you use, do they show the muck much?

·
Registered
Pro Ceed 2 1.6 CRDi (113)
182 Posts
I could be wrong, best bet is to ring your local dealer and see what they say, then ring another if you dont like what you hear lol

I will have ago at my brakes, not sure if I should just do them black or not, decisions decisions...

How long did each coat take to go off?

·
Registered
Kia Sportage GT-edition CRDI 2.0 -16 // Volkswagen Passat 4-motion -17
52 Posts
I´ve had this discussion with KIA SWEDEN and they are not willing to help me. I explained that my car from 08 had loads of faults and the previous owner had missed ONE service the warranty was voided.

I tried to get KIA to explain to me what my broken stereo unit and ACC had to do with more oil changes/services but they replied that i had to understand the importance of regular service. I replied that i don´t think that KIA SWEDEN had no idea of what they were talking about and should reply without hitting the ctrl-v keys. I got no answer...

My conclusion is that KIA makes crappy cars and are hoping that most part of the buyers misses one service so that the customer has to pay loads of money to repair this crappy car.

Since i know cars i have repaired most of the problems my self. These are problems that my old SAAB from 02 NEVER had. I guess that the old saying "you get what you pay for" is made for KIA cars...

So to answer your question:
If you have not followed the servicebook to 100% you have no warranty at all.

·
Premium Member
ProCeed 3 & Picanto 3
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your reply.

I think that's the response im going to get when i ask the dealers.

Have to disagree with quality....my Pro has been solid, 80k on these Norfolk roads and I've incurred a slight knocking. (im lowered on sports springs also).
Great car with more toys for its money than any other manufacturer can offer.

·
Registered
2009 Carens crdti LS 2.0 diesel
47 Posts
Drakey,

There was a recent similar question on the UK Kia forum.Sorry can't quickly locate it for you.:(:(
As I understood the answer, so long as the problem cannot be shown to be related to a servicing item ,then the warranty still applies.

The guy had similar problem in that he didn't have a "proper" service record but his drop links were replaced as they don't come under a service item.
Hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
As I understood the answer, so long as the problem cannot be shown to be related to a servicing item ,then the warranty still applies.

The guy had similar problem in that he didn't have a "proper" service record but his drop links were replaced as they don't come under a service item.
As far as Hybenos is concerned, there might be a difference between Britain & Sweden.

Under What is meant by not of satisfactory quality look at "How long should goods last for?"

I take it to mean that a car manufacturer can't completely hide under the small print.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There is one grey area that no one has mentioned. Having read other threads the consensus is if its an item that would not have been seviced then the warranty should still be intact but sometimes there are campaign recalls that update software etc on non-service items to prevent premature failure. If you missed a service and any updates that have affected a non-service part you will not be covered.

If the service record is not up to date there is a fair chance of a battle with the dealer/Kia and i would put my money on Kia winning.

Its been said before but its worth repeating, why miss a service when it will potentially affect one of the cars selling points i.e. the 7 year warranty. We put about £1500 worth of diesel in the Ceed in a year, a £250 service (including body checks etc) is a small extra cost in my opinion. If I took it to an independant for the oily bits and then to Kia for the body/paint check which would be charged I would save fek all.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Cee'd 2 - 124BHP 1.6petrol
560 Posts
As previously stated, as long as there is a stamp for the service and kia parts where used by an independant VAT registered garage, you are fine, however, as you said Drakey that you hvae done the last few services yourself, if you didnt get the stamp by a VAT reg garage, your warranty would be null and void... :(

·
Registered
pro_ceed 1.6 CRDi 66kw (2008)
725 Posts
Drop links are covered by warranty. Even here with bumpy roads.

Regarding the warranty validity - if your friend who was doing the service is not stamping the warranty book, what would you have with you to prove that the service was done regularly ?

·
Registered
246 Posts
In the UK a simple stamp in the service book is insufficient. You need receipts to prove the garage that did the work was VAT registered, that all the work on the service schedule was done, they used genuine Kia parts and used the correct oils.

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
Have to say that when i got my Pro new in 09 the 7yr warranty was a huge factor. I also accepted that as part of that warranty i would need to get it serviced by the dealer i got it from (Yes i know i can use independant etc!) and that was all part of the trade off. From my point of view, why would i buy a car with a 7yr warranty then invalidate it by not sticking to their rules????

I dont think it unreasonable that Kia would refuse to honour their warranty if you dont stick to their warranty rules. Its not as if you didnt know is it? Perhaps you made a choice to save money on servicing and now you have to spend that saved money on getting your drop links done!

Ive stuck with my service schedule and had my drop links done twice under warranty in 40K miles.

Maybe you could buy the parts from Kia and fit them yourself?

·
Premium Member
ProCeed 3 & Picanto 3
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I totally agree with you AyJay....but on the otherhand twice in 40k....poor quality parts and should be replaced even if the oil and a few filters haven't been replaced by Kia for a huge amount of money.

But i do agree its the risk i took when opting out of Kia servicing.

Anti roll bar bushes are causing the knocking this time.

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
But lets be honest, having part fail on a car at a relatively low mileage isnt something that only Kia suffer from is it? Im sure theres countless cases where items fail earlier than would be expected throughout every car manufacturer. Its just that with the advent of longer and longer warranties these things are being replaced free rather than the poor owner having to fork out for it after the 12 month warranty has expired.

Thats the whole reason of keeping to the service schedule surely? So that relatively minor yet cumulatively expensive things like weak bushes get sorted FOC?

·
Registered
Cee'd SW 1.6CRDI
97 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread but it made more sense than starting a new one.
I replaced the front anti roll bar bushes recently but it was a pig of a job. The bolts on the clamps were extremely difficult to get to and i had to lower the rear of the subframe a little just to get a socket in, which was on a universal joint.
It's like the whole engine and steering was assembled onto the subframe BEFORE it was installed on the car, resulting in serviceable items being "painted into a corner" if you know what i mean.
The car is long out of warranty and money is tight so i now do as much as possible myself. Hence the decision to do this job.
My question is: Is there a technique kia mechanics use to do this job? Special tools?
I don't want to have to go to the dealers for repairs as money is too tight to mention!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts