Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 kia sorento
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was in a minor collision earlier this week and while my Sorento started fine for a few days, it now won't start. All the electrical components (radio, wipers, headlights, etc) work but the car just clicks rapidly when I push to start. I've observed no signs of leaking, however, I was running the car in battery mode for 15 ish minutes before trying to turn over the engine.

Is this a battery issue or could the collision have caused some issue that only appeared days later?

Please let me know!

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,793 Posts
If you don't have a multi-meter to check the battery voltage, take the battery to your local parts store and they'll test it for you.

Yes it sounds like its only a flat battery.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
548 Posts
A collision could cause a connection issue. Tighten the terminal connections then see where you're at. If it still clicks rapidly, replace the battery (unless you've done that already). A 2014 would certainly be due for that. But the fact that it correlates with the collision points more toward a loose connection.

·
Registered
Sorento 2015 LX 2.4 AWD, Suzuki 2011 SX4 AWD, ( 2000 KIA Sportage, junked)
478 Posts
A ratling starter solenoid is sign of a poor connection, generally at the battery terminals. A low battery usually just turns the starter slowly or not at all.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
578 Posts
Probably that he could just disappear, with many others. LOL

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento 3.3 V6
9 Posts
My wife's Sorento had a starting issue one time that was connected to the push button start. I had to push the start button without my foot on the brake pedal, to put it in accessory mode. Then I had to put my foot on the brake, shift it out of park down to drive and back to park. Then try to start it and it fired right up. From what I was told, that with push starts, they will occasionally get dirt on the transmission linkage that tricks the computer into thinking the car is not in park, therefor it will not crank. My friend had that happen to his Grand Cherokee and told me about it about two months prior to our Sorento not wanting to start. So luckily I was aware of that and it ended up saving me about $200 in a tow bill.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts