Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Rio
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I will need to install a universal keyless entry kit. Anybody have a wiring diagram or know what wires I need to use for door locks and trunk opener? Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Rio
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looks like I will need to install a universal keyless entry kit. Anybody have a wiring diagram or know what wires I need to use for door locks and trunk opener? Thanks.
Ive been serching the internet for days trying to find a wiring diagram so I can install an aftermarket keyless entry. Am I over-estimating the difficulty in finding the correct wires to tap into? Maybe I dont need a diagram. Has anyone done this and could give me some pointers on how to do this install?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan Auto 1.6 Turbo // 2020 Sportage LX FWD
427 Posts
Ive been serching the internet for days trying to find a wiring diagram so I can install an aftermarket keyless entry. Am I over-estimating the difficulty in finding the correct wires to tap into? Maybe I dont need a diagram. Has anyone done this and could give me some pointers on how to do this install?
I can only imagine you would tap at the BCM (body control module) which is behind the dash.

May I ask why you are doing this?

·
Registered
2020 Kia Rio
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can only imagine you would tap at the BCM (body control module) which is behind the dash.

May I ask why you are doing this?
Heres the story. We were looking for low cost new car for my daughter to drive to college. So my wife finds this car at a very good price. So we go get it. It was a 2hr drive to go get it from the dealer. I should have did the research myself instead of delegating. Turns out this car is the LX model. No keyless entry. And no cruise control. So I want to add the keyless entry now. Maybe cruise control later.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan Auto 1.6 Turbo // 2020 Sportage LX FWD
427 Posts
Heres the story. We were looking for low cost new car for my daughter to drive to college. So my wife finds this car at a very good price. So we go get it. It was a 2hr drive to go get it from the dealer. I should have did the research myself instead of delegating. Turns out this car is the LX model. No keyless entry. And no cruise control. So I want to add the keyless entry now. Maybe cruise control later.
Idk if the bcm would have the wiring you need I'm sure you could tap at the driver door and have keyless entry for just the driver door pretty easily. I don't have a wiring diagram from that model. But you can buy 72hr access to the Kia program for like 30$. But you will still need to pull the dash. Vs the simplist solution of just pulling the driver's door panel. (or take it a step further and pull all four door panels.)

·
Registered
2021 Kia Rio base
4 Posts
Idk if the bcm would have the wiring you need I'm sure you could tap at the driver door and have keyless entry for just the driver door pretty easily. I don't have a wiring diagram from that model. But you can buy 72hr access to the Kia program for like 30$. But you will still need to pull the dash. Vs the simplist solution of just pulling the driver's door panel. (or take it a step further and pull all four door panels.)
It does. I added a cheap keyless entry system to my former '14 Soul base M/T by tapping into a harness under the dash. I'm now trying to find a wiring schematic for my new 2021 Rio base to perform the same install.

There is no "pulling the dash" or door panels for the install. Simply pop the cover off under the driver's side of the dash to gain access to the wiring harness that's needed to tap into the proper wires.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Rio
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does. I added a cheap keyless entry system to my former '14 Soul base M/T by tapping into a harness under the dash. I'm now trying to find a wiring schematic for my new 2021 Rio base to perform the same install.

There is no "pulling the dash" or door panels for the install. Simply pop the cover off under the driver's side of the dash to gain access to the wiring harness that's needed to tap into the proper wires.
Thanks. It does sound pretty simple. Im sure I could do this. Im just not sure yet what wires to tie into. Maybe I can use a test probe at the fuse box to see what gets power when the door locks are actuated.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Rio base
4 Posts
If you find anything, please report back. I'm not sure when I'll get around to doing it with my schedule. I can link to the Soul forum, if it'll be helpful.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Rio base
4 Posts
I thought I had it figured out, but not quite. When I touched 2 different wires with a test light in a loom behind the left kick plate, the white one unlocked, and the green one locked. I attempted to use those. Upon quick testing, the remote worked, but the switch on the door stopped working. Close, but not quite. I didn't want to chance any damage, so I stopped for now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts