Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD; 2009 Borrego LX V6 RWD
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where and what color the wires are for parking light and parking brake? I need to tap into these wires for a DRL relay.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
238 Posts
All I have is 2015 SX diagrams the lights are just +B outputs from the BCM to the bulbs, but the parking brake (foot or lever) is a ground to BCM when brake is activated and floats to a pull up level voltage from the BCM when the circuit is open. That voltage would not be able to feed a relay and would corrupt the signal to the BCM. I can send you the '15 schematics, but a set from a 2018 is what you really need.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento
61 Posts
Does anyone know where and what color the wires are for parking light and parking brake? I need to tap into these wires for a DRL relay.
Why not just connect them to a fuse for a circuit that is on when the ignition is on? That's what I did for my amp relay.
These are quite handy.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why not just connect them to a fuse for a circuit that is on when the ignition is on? That's what I did for my amp relay.
These are quite handy.
This is a good suggestion. I guess I can do this for the ignition wire, but I still need to tap the other two wires also.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ecanderson. So these are at the fuse box?

And I'm actually looking for the foot parking brake line, not the tail light. If you could post it also that'd be awesome.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,079 Posts
Um... yes and no. You're looking at everything from one end to the other. The "IGPM" is roughly somewhere above your left leg. The lights are where they are. The exception is the E/R block, which is the 'fuse box' under the hood. I think that shows up once or twice, but you don't need to go there for what you're after.

Colors are more or less evident in the wiring diagrams, but if there's any confusion, here's the standard Hyundai/Kia WD color scheme:

B = black
Br = brown
G = green
Gr = gray
L = blue
Lg = light green
T = tan
O = orange
P = pink
R = red
W = white
Y = yellow
Pp = purple
Li = light blue

Where you see something like G/B, that indicates primary wire color (green) and the color of the included stripe (black).
What comes before is the wire gauge, which you don't really care about except it might help distinguish between more than one of the same color. 0.3 is about 23 gauge. A REALLY fat one like a 5.0 is more along the lines of 11 gauge.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
238 Posts
And I'm actually looking for the foot parking brake line
Again this is for my 2015, may not be applicable to your '18 , but you can verify by looking at the connections and wire color. I do not see how you could use the circuit to drive a relay, see post #2 for the circuits voltage description. Just for my info, what is the Parking Brake state used for in your DRL installation.

Parking Brake.JPG

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info ecanderson and bobdec. These wire colors should help a lot.

I haven't received the unit yet so don't have the exact diagram, but parking brake line is to be used as a trigger to turn off the DRL. In other words, when the engine running but you're in park, it won't turn on the lights.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The "IGPM" is roughly somewhere above your left leg.
Besides the one screw on the right bottom corner, is the lower dash cover held in by clips all around? Could get the right side pulled off, but the top and left sides were held in pretty tight.

Wired up everything in the engine compartment and working except for the parking brake line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts