Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
2022 Sorento X-Line
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2022 Sorento X-Line Prestige. I already live with the fact there is no wireless Apple Car Play or Android Auto but I would have thought wireless charging would still work. There's a wireless charging pad and light but I've had no luck getting it to work on an iPhone or Android phone that works just fine in the house with a Qi wireless charger. I've removed the case, tried sitting the phone it differently, etc. Amd, yes, tried with the engine running. The manual talks about a convenience setting to turn on/off wireless charging but no such setting exists. What is odd is that I recall when test driving the vehicle placing my phone on the charging pad and seeing the light turn on registering it as working. Do I need to take the vehicle into the shop or is this a known issue?

· Registered
2022 Sorento X-Line
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a negative. Those screens are not options on a 2022 X-Line. Remember, Kia manual says wireless carplay works but those of us with the premium model know that is not true.

· Registered
2021 Sorento Premium 2.2L CRDi Turbo Diesel AWD
15 Posts
Thats a negative. Those screens are not options on a 2022 X-Line. Remember, Kia manual says wireless carplay works but those of us with the premium model know that is not true.
There's a setting to turn wireless charging off, buried in one of the menus. So maybe it wasn't enabled? It does work on my car, but with smaller sized phone it takes a bit of positioning to get it right.
And indeed, no wireless CarPlay.

· Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
871 Posts
There's a setting to turn wireless charging off, buried in one of the menus. So maybe it wasn't enabled? It does work on my car, but with smaller sized phone it takes a bit of positioning to get it right.
And indeed, no wireless CarPlay.
If you have a ‘22 you do not have wireless Apple CarPlay. 10” screens do not have it. Also; wireless charging only works when all of the doors are closed. I spent 40-50 mins at my dealer with my salesman having the passenger door open to understand that. He left and closed the door at the end of the time frame and , bing, charging began. BTW; you just posted about having this thread “removed” but here I am posting on it. Calm down. We’re not your dealer that you’re frustrated with. The members here try their best to help.

Let’s start with the basics. (Keep in mind I have a ‘21 and it might be slightly different)
Do you have a QI symbol in the center front cubby? If so, with all of the doors closed and not connecting to your phone via a cable, does it turn amber when you set your phone in it with at least accessory mode on or the car started? Another fun fact; you cannot use wireless charging and a USB connection for CarPlay. The wire trumps the wireless, but still charges your phone while using CarPlay.

Also; you realize you’re getting upset about wireless charging, right? Chill. We’re here to help.

· Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
871 Posts
Your first post will always be locked due to not following the rules. Don’t worry, we all felt the same way after our first posts. When you complete the requirements (which you now have) your post gets unlocked. Once again; we’re here to help.

· Registered
2022 Sorento X-Line
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Your first post will always be locked due to not following the rules. Don’t worry, we all felt the same way after our first posts. When you complete the requirements (which you now have) your post gets unlocked. Once again; we’re here to help.
Lol. Thanks for the help with the locked posts. Its odd because I could not respond to my OP but could create an entirely new post so assumed a moderator locked my OP. Obviously my bad so sorry.

Thanks for the suggestion about closed doors but I've made sure all the doors are closed, nothing connected to the USB and the engine running. I really think I need to have the dealer look at it and will do that when I take it in for its first free oil change. Like @MKS said, there is a section in the manual that says there is a setting for turning wireless changing on and off but that setting simply doesn't exist in my '22 vehicle. As a matter of fact, unlike how the manual states, you can adjust very little using the switches on the steering column on my '22. All must be done from the Head Unit. Alas again, no options on my '22 exist related to wireless charging. If when I learn more, I will update this post. I will also proceed with chilling out. :)

· Registered
2021 Sorento Premium 2.2L CRDi Turbo Diesel AWD
15 Posts
If you have a ‘22 you do not have wireless Apple CarPlay. 10” screens do not have it. Also; wireless charging only works when all of the doors are closed. I spent 40-50 mins at my dealer with my salesman having the passenger door open to understand that. He left and closed the door at the end of the time frame and , bing, charging began. BTW; you just posted about having this thread “removed” but here I am posting on it. Calm down. We’re not your dealer that you’re frustrated with. The members here try their best to help.

Let’s start with the basics. (Keep in mind I have a ‘21 and it might be slightly different)
Do you have a QI symbol in the center front cubby? If so, with all of the doors closed and not connecting to your phone via a cable, does it turn amber when you set your phone in it with at least accessory mode on or the car started? Another fun fact; you cannot use wireless charging and a USB connection for CarPlay. The wire trumps the wireless, but still charges your phone while using CarPlay.

Also; you realize you’re getting upset about wireless charging, right? Chill. We’re here to help.
Hey, i think you have me confused with someone else?
I never talked about removing anything. The message above was all i answered...

· Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
871 Posts
Hey, i think you have me confused with someone else?
I never talked about removing anything. The message above was all i answered...
Nope, I just quoted the wrong post. My bad. 🥶🥶

· Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
871 Posts
Lol. Thanks for the help with the locked posts. Its odd because I could not respond to my OP but could create an entirely new post so assumed a moderator locked my OP. Obviously my bad so sorry.

Thanks for the suggestion about closed doors but I've made sure all the doors are closed and the engine running. I really think I need to have the dealer look at it and will do that when I take it in for its first free oil change. Like @MKS said, there is a section in the manual that says there is a setting for turning wireless changing on and off but that setting simply doesn't exist in my '22 vehicle. As a matter of fact, unlike how the manual states, you can adjust very little using the switches on the steering column on my '22. All must be done from the Head Unit. Alas again, no options on my '22 exist related to wireless charging. If when I learn more, I will update this post. I will also proceed with chilling out. :)
It’s all good. I think 90% of us all felt about the same way with our first posts. If only we actually read the rules before posting…

Is your phone charging while using CarPlay? If so, the wireless pad is useless unless charging someone else’s phone. The iPhone won’t allow both. The cable trumps the Qi pad. If you want to test the wireless, make sure your phone is not plugged in to anything when setting it down in the charging station. If it doesn’t start charging then, ask the dealer like you plan to.

· Registered
2022 Sorento X-Line
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It’s all good. I think 90% of us all felt about the same way with our first posts. If only we actually read the rules before posting…

Is your phone charging while using CarPlay? If so, the wireless pad is useless unless charging someone else’s phone. The iPhone won’t allow both. The cable trumps the Qi pad. If you want to test the wireless, make sure your phone is not plugged in to anything when setting it down in the charging station. If it doesn’t start charging then, ask the dealer like you plan to.
Yes still no charging or light when nothing plugged in to the USB and several devices tried on the charging pad. Agree its not a big deal since a cable is still needed to connect to carplay and it can be charged with a cable but it should still work for a passenger's device

· Registered
2022 SXP X-Line
54 Posts
2022 SXP X-Line here. Wireless charing works just fine through the case. And there most definitely is a setting in the menus to turn the charger on/off. I find I don't use it most of the time as I'm usually plugging the phone in for CarPlay anyway.

· Registered
2022 Sorento X-Line
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2022 SXP X-Line here. Wireless charing works just fine through the case. And there most definitely is a setting in the menus to turn the charger on/off. I find I don't use it most of the time as I'm usually plugging the phone in for CarPlay anyway.
Thanks for the response. It's really odd because I spent a good half hour looking for those settings. I may even upload a video just to show what options are available in my vehicle. I'll go back and look one more time.

· Registered
21 SX PRESTIGE XLINE
10 Posts
Thanks for the response. It's really odd because I spent a good half hour looking for those settings. I may even upload a video just to show what options are available in my vehicle. I'll go back and look one more time.
I'm assuming it's turned on if the light comes on when you place the phone on the pad, but I don't know that for sure.

· Registered
2022 SXP X-Line
54 Posts
Just took a peek. The option is under "Setup > Vehicle > Convenience." Hope this helps!

(and no judgment about dust on the glass black....🤣)
Vehicle Font Gadget Plant Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 63 Posts