Kia Forum banner

Wireless Android Auto

33K views 82 replies 24 participants last post by  TheSyndicate 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

In the last moment I cancelled my Skoda Kodiaq order and I made up my mind for new Sorento (XL Prestige Line). The only thing that bothers me is a future possibility to use wireless android auto in this car. I know that for know, it's a cable connection only, but perhaps Sorento multimedia hardware is ready for a system update to bring us wireless android auto? I believe it is only a matter of a 5GHz Wi-Fi module inside the multimedia system.

So does anyone know if new Sorento has a Wi-Fi module (perhaps disabled for now?) and if it's planned to bring us wireless android auto support in the near future?

Thanks!

PS. I live in Europe so don't be surprised with the "XL Prestige Line" I wrote about :) We don't have "Sport" or "GT Line" here.

#2 ·
Wireless AA/CP will be available in US/Canada models (top trims like njerald said). If you watch Korean youtube reviews - it's there and working well. In fact it was a first 6-7 seat 3row SUV to offer that. We don't really know if Kia will offer it in Europe or will decide to strip it from trims. For example here in USA we have been screwed big time with Hybrid model only been offered in econobox trims. So we can't really tell what and when Kia will decide for EU. I can bet its eventually up to your local European Kia marketing to decide. Those folks can be hit or miss. But yes, hardware is there and it's capable and is working nicely in South Korea and Australia already. I think considering fierce competition in Europe - Kia should bring it too.

#4 ·
Yes, well things like that usually are forgotten by reviewers and only surface in some random videos or long after model was on sale. Check a picture I attached showing it on official USA website. Trust me wireless AA/CP is available on new Sorento, BUT as I said different markets get different options and trims, so there's no guarantee that Poland will get it. It all depends on your local Kia marketing department.

I can’t rewatch all YouTube reviews (there's about 80+ of them on Korean Youtube - they call it MQ4 model) to find the ones where they show it, but here’s a Kia dealer instructions on how to connect wireless AA/CP on K5 which has EXACTLY same infotainment system:

Here’s official USA Kia website about upcoming Sorento and if you scroll down it has a full page dedicated to the WIRELESS AA/CP which comes standard for all US/Canadian models:

Attachments

#6 ·
Few days ago I came across a YouTube review of some KIA car (I can't remember the model) and it was equiped with the same infotainment system as Sorento or K5. The only difference I noticed on the 10.25” screen was a violet "Wi-Fi" icon among other icons in the main menu which allows user to enter Wi-Fi settings. I haven't seen this icon when watching K5, Telluride, Sorento, or Sedona reviews. And even if it looks like Rio, Sportage or Picanto have different infotainment system, on the official KIA site only new RIO and Picanto are marked as Wireless Android Auto compatible.

#9 ·
I picked up my Sorento last week. According to the engineering menu, the 10.25" head unit is equipped with BCM89359 5G WiFi/Bluetooth Smart 2X2 MIMO Combo Chip with RSDB Support. Its key features are:
  • Optimized for seamless interaction with enhanced wireless applications and feature-rich systems like Apple CarPlay and Google Auto Link, the BCM89359 device is the first WLAN combo architected specifically for multi-band concurrent automotive infotainment and telematics operation.
  • RSDB support enables simultaneous connectivity to the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz bands, improving throughput and latency when using multiple applications.
  • Integrated 5G WiFi technology provides the bandwidth required for multiple high resolution in-car displays, allowing uncongested 5GHz video to coexist concurrently with Wi-Fi Internet access and 2.4GHz Bluetooth hands-free audio.
  • 2x2 MIMO technology delivers twice the Wi-Fi performance of any other solution on the market today, providing the highest throughput in-car network possible for multiple user experiences.
  • A dedicated Bluetooth antenna enables concurrent operation of Bluetooth and WLAN applications and employs advanced coexistence algorithms to maximize voice quality and data access speed in simultaneous operation.

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#31 ·
My 21 sorento sx Prestige has wired carplay and AA only, no wireless. I tried my wireless carplay USB dongle and it works just fine. Its $125 thing you can plug in to make it work on these cars. The android one should work as well, I'll grab one sometime soon. So far I havent found a way to sideload the K5 firmware into the car to turn on the wifi option. This car does have wifi and a chip capable of AA and many other things wireless. I can only imagine they are going to push an update in the next couple months to turn it on... if not, I'll be spamming KIA corporate for a fix that I could probably write myself if they give me access! :)

#32 ·
I tried my wireless carplay USB dongle and it works just fine. Its $125 thing you can plug in to make it work on these cars. The android one should work as well, I'll grab one sometime soon.
I know of no Android wireless AA adapter, care to share where you see this? I'm waiting on the AA Wireless kickstarter to poop out an adapter sometime in the spring, that's the only current PnP solution I'm aware of. Since I have a 2020 Sorento, I won't be getting any firmware update to fix it without external hardware.

#34 ·
I have looked for Android wireless AA adapters, and I shop o AliExpress all the time. I found nothing that seemed like it would work.

One of the many ads on AliExpress, all seem to have a similar theme when you drill down. Note that it does NOT support the factory screen, and I have no intention of ripping out my head unit!

#38 ·
Alright guys,

I'm in a 2021 Sorento in the UK with the 10.25" screen and no wireless carplay, were there any updates to this on when they might have launched it in Europe?

Seems a bit silly to have a wireless charging pad and then have to use a cable for Apple Carplay.

#40 ·
Sure it is;

Model: MQ4AH.S5BLC.AEU
Software: MQ4_H.EUR.S5W_L.001.001.200612
Firmware: MQ4_H.EUR.03.200420.MICOM
Nav App: STD5W.EUR.KMC.200423.8af9db6

I went in the engineer mode and saw the wifi system in there just not activated, which is pretty frustrating.

Also having weird issues with my aircon randomly blowing out different temperatures to different sides of the vehicle even when everything is synchronised at a set temp, one side will blow cold and the other side will blow hot and then the back will randomly do something else!

#42 ·
I've heard there's a slightly later revision;

21MY Gen 5 Wide EU 2020-2
Map Data and Software

GEN 5 Wide Map Software 2020-2.1
Map Data and Software

Not sure which but I think one of those two updates is newer than what we have on our cars.

Doubt it enables Wireless Carplay, that would be up to Kia Europe who are based in Germany and it looks like so far they haven't done it for some strange reason.

This is the UVO team's email ant the EU HQ; Email address: info@kia-uvo.eu

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.