Kia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX-Prestige X-Line
47 Posts
What sucks is the 8” screen (with wireless CarPlay) doesn’t have built in Kia nav, so with the buggy unusable wireless CarPlay I have no nav options other than just running nav on my phone and letting it play instructions over Bluetooth. Guess I can prop my phone up in the center console. sigh Really hope they release a fix soon. I don’t think it is an iOS problem anymore because 14.3 didn’t fix it.
Is it that buggy? What is wrong with it? Just doesn‘t stay connected? Is there an option for wired CarPlay at all on the 8” unit?

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento Hybrid EX Gravity Blue
76 Posts
Is it that buggy? What is wrong with it? Just doesn‘t stay connected? Is there an option for wired CarPlay at all on the 8” unit?
No wired option for CarPlay, you’re restricted to only wireless. It keeps disconnecting and kicking you back out to the Kia Home Screen. Then you have to click the projection button to get back in. It happens every 3-8 minutes I’d say, and it’s random and unpredictable. I don’t even care about it being wireless, I’d rather use a cable anyway but nope I can’t even do that.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX-Prestige X-Line
47 Posts
No wired option for CarPlay, you’re restricted to only wireless. It keeps disconnecting and kicking you back out to the Kia Home Screen. Then you have to click the projection button to get back in. It happens every 3-8 minutes I’d say, and it’s random and unpredictable. I don’t even care about it being wireless, I’d rather use a cable anyway but nope I can’t even do that.
Ahh that is incredibly frustrating. Have you talked to the dealer about it? Can they do anything?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ahh that is incredibly frustrating. Have you talked to the dealer about it? Can they do anything?
We noticed it during the test drive and during the delivery instructional session. They were like “um that’s not supposed to happen.” I need to take it in to open a service thing for it but I just haven’t had the time. Plus from the research Im doing on it, Kia seems to be pointing the finger at Apple and Apple is pointing the finger at Kia so idk if I’ll get it resolved even if I do take it in.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
2,016 Posts
What sucks is the 8” screen (with wireless CarPlay) doesn’t have built in Kia nav, so with the buggy unusable wireless CarPlay I have no nav options other than just running nav on my phone and letting it play instructions over Bluetooth. Guess I can prop my phone up in the center console. sigh Really hope they release a fix soon. I don’t think it is an iOS problem anymore because 14.3 didn’t fix it.
Plug the phone in. I can't imagine that it won't worked wired.............

·
Registered
76 Posts
Plug the phone in. I can't imagine that it won't worked wired.............
That’s what I thought so I plugged it in and I get this message.

Apparently Android Auto works either wired or wireless but Apple CarPlay is ONLY wireless. No wired CarPlay capability. It’s absolutely absurd! Lol

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
2,016 Posts
Well they got their priorities right with Android......

·
Registered
217 Posts
That’s what I thought so I plugged it in and I get this message. View attachment 116967
Apparently Android Auto works either wired or wireless but Apple CarPlay is ONLY wireless. No wired CarPlay capability. It’s absolutely absurd! Lol
I had this problem for a while. It is most likely your cable. Aftermarket cables aren't all created equal. Try the original cable you got with your phone or one that is certified or a direct replacement from the phone's manufacture. That is what I had to do both for my android and the wife's iPhone.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had this problem for a while. It is most likely your cable. Aftermarket cables aren't all created equal. Try the original cable you got with your phone or one that is certified or a direct replacement from the phone's manufacture. That is what I had to do both for my android and the wife's iPhone.
There is no wired capability for CarPlay/iPhone. Only wireless.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX-Prestige
5 Posts
My 21 sorento sx Prestige has wired carplay and AA only, no wireless. I tried my wireless carplay USB dongle and it works just fine. Its $125 thing you can plug in to make it work on these cars. The android one should work as well, I'll grab one sometime soon. So far I havent found a way to sideload the K5 firmware into the car to turn on the wifi option. This car does have wifi and a chip capable of AA and many other things wireless. I can only imagine they are going to push an update in the next couple months to turn it on... if not, I'll be spamming KIA corporate for a fix that I could probably write myself if they give me access! :)

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
402 Posts
I tried my wireless carplay USB dongle and it works just fine. Its $125 thing you can plug in to make it work on these cars. The android one should work as well, I'll grab one sometime soon.
I know of no Android wireless AA adapter, care to share where you see this? I'm waiting on the AA Wireless kickstarter to poop out an adapter sometime in the spring, that's the only current PnP solution I'm aware of. Since I have a 2020 Sorento, I won't be getting any firmware update to fix it without external hardware.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX-Prestige
5 Posts
It was called something like sicaro, sacreo, something I forget, theres a few chinese products on aliexpress that should be able to do this as well. Theres work arounds if you are crafty and have a tablet sitting around too.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
402 Posts
I have looked for Android wireless AA adapters, and I shop o AliExpress all the time. I found nothing that seemed like it would work.

One of the many ads on AliExpress, all seem to have a similar theme when you drill down. Note that it does NOT support the factory screen, and I have no intention of ripping out my head unit!

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2021 (1.6 T-GDi AWD, XL Prestige Line)
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
You are right, my fault. My dealer told me it's for WAA and I didn't even double check it...

·
Registered
Sorento 2021
9 Posts
Alright guys,

I'm in a 2021 Sorento in the UK with the 10.25" screen and no wireless carplay, were there any updates to this on when they might have launched it in Europe?

Seems a bit silly to have a wireless charging pad and then have to use a cable for Apple Carplay.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts