Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2021 (1.6 T-GDi AWD, XL Prestige Line)
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

In the last moment I cancelled my Skoda Kodiaq order and I made up my mind for new Sorento (XL Prestige Line). The only thing that bothers me is a future possibility to use wireless android auto in this car. I know that for know, it's a cable connection only, but perhaps Sorento multimedia hardware is ready for a system update to bring us wireless android auto? I believe it is only a matter of a 5GHz Wi-Fi module inside the multimedia system.

So does anyone know if new Sorento has a Wi-Fi module (perhaps disabled for now?) and if it's planned to bring us wireless android auto support in the near future?

Thanks!

PS. I live in Europe so don't be surprised with the "XL Prestige Line" I wrote about :) We don't have "Sport" or "GT Line" here.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Murano SV FWD, 2014 BMW X5 50i
57 Posts
Wireless AA/CP will be available in US/Canada models (top trims like njerald said). If you watch Korean youtube reviews - it's there and working well. In fact it was a first 6-7 seat 3row SUV to offer that. We don't really know if Kia will offer it in Europe or will decide to strip it from trims. For example here in USA we have been screwed big time with Hybrid model only been offered in econobox trims. So we can't really tell what and when Kia will decide for EU. I can bet its eventually up to your local European Kia marketing to decide. Those folks can be hit or miss. But yes, hardware is there and it's capable and is working nicely in South Korea and Australia already. I think considering fierce competition in Europe - Kia should bring it too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't know that Wireless AA already works in Sorento IV in some regions. I have watched plenty of reviews and none of them mentioned it. Do you mind sharing link to such review?

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Murano SV FWD, 2014 BMW X5 50i
57 Posts
I didn't know that Wireless AA already works in Sorento IV in some regions. I have watched plenty of reviews and none of them mentioned it. Do you mind sharing link to such review?
Yes, well things like that usually are forgotten by reviewers and only surface in some random videos or long after model was on sale. Check a picture I attached showing it on official USA website. Trust me wireless AA/CP is available on new Sorento, BUT as I said different markets get different options and trims, so there's no guarantee that Poland will get it. It all depends on your local Kia marketing department.

I can’t rewatch all YouTube reviews (there's about 80+ of them on Korean Youtube - they call it MQ4 model) to find the ones where they show it, but here’s a Kia dealer instructions on how to connect wireless AA/CP on K5 which has EXACTLY same infotainment system:

Here’s official USA Kia website about upcoming Sorento and if you scroll down it has a full page dedicated to the WIRELESS AA/CP which comes standard for all US/Canadian models:

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that indeed sounds like all these modern infotainment systems are capable of connecting Android Auto wirelessly.

Before I came here I've visited this site: Apple CarPlay & Android Auto | Kia Owners | Kia Australia and it says that Wireless Android Auto is supported only on Picanto Model Year 2021 and Rio Model Year 2021.

It's also interesting what people write here about Sorento bigger brother, Telluride: Wireless Android Auto

No 2021 Tellurides support wireless Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.

2021 Palisade with the 8” infotainment display do support them wirelessly... however, nicer ones with the 10.25” display continue to require a cable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Few days ago I came across a YouTube review of some KIA car (I can't remember the model) and it was equiped with the same infotainment system as Sorento or K5. The only difference I noticed on the 10.25” screen was a violet "Wi-Fi" icon among other icons in the main menu which allows user to enter Wi-Fi settings. I haven't seen this icon when watching K5, Telluride, Sorento, or Sedona reviews. And even if it looks like Rio, Sportage or Picanto have different infotainment system, on the official KIA site only new RIO and Picanto are marked as Wireless Android Auto compatible.

·
Registered
2017 Sorrento SXL
19 Posts
I wonder if the new Galaxy s20 FE or s20+ will fit into the charging pad holder. I have a 2017 sxl but my new S20 FE phone is too big for the charging pad, Same thing with my wife's 2020 Sportage the phone wont fit.... Bummer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried my Note20 Ultra and it fits.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked up my Sorento last week. According to the engineering menu, the 10.25" head unit is equipped with BCM89359 5G WiFi/Bluetooth Smart 2X2 MIMO Combo Chip with RSDB Support. Its key features are:
  • Optimized for seamless interaction with enhanced wireless applications and feature-rich systems like Apple CarPlay and Google Auto Link, the BCM89359 device is the first WLAN combo architected specifically for multi-band concurrent automotive infotainment and telematics operation.
  • RSDB support enables simultaneous connectivity to the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz bands, improving throughput and latency when using multiple applications.
  • Integrated 5G WiFi technology provides the bandwidth required for multiple high resolution in-car displays, allowing uncongested 5GHz video to coexist concurrently with Wi-Fi Internet access and 2.4GHz Bluetooth hands-free audio.
  • 2x2 MIMO technology delivers twice the Wi-Fi performance of any other solution on the market today, providing the highest throughput in-car network possible for multiple user experiences.
  • A dedicated Bluetooth antenna enables concurrent operation of Bluetooth and WLAN applications and employs advanced coexistence algorithms to maximize voice quality and data access speed in simultaneous operation.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento Hybrid EX Gravity Blue
76 Posts
I picked up my Sorento last week. According to the engineering menu, the 10.25" head unit is equipped with BCM89359 5G WiFi/Bluetooth Smart 2X2 MIMO Combo Chip with RSDB Support. Its key features are:
  • Optimized for seamless interaction with enhanced wireless applications and feature-rich systems like Apple CarPlay and Google Auto Link, the BCM89359 device is the first WLAN combo architected specifically for multi-band concurrent automotive infotainment and telematics operation.
  • RSDB support enables simultaneous connectivity to the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz bands, improving throughput and latency when using multiple applications.
  • Integrated 5G WiFi technology provides the bandwidth required for multiple high resolution in-car displays, allowing uncongested 5GHz video to coexist concurrently with Wi-Fi Internet access and 2.4GHz Bluetooth hands-free audio.
  • 2x2 MIMO technology delivers twice the Wi-Fi performance of any other solution on the market today, providing the highest throughput in-car network possible for multiple user experiences.
  • A dedicated Bluetooth antenna enables concurrent operation of Bluetooth and WLAN applications and employs advanced coexistence algorithms to maximize voice quality and data access speed in simultaneous operation.
How is your wireless Android Auto working? I bought a 21 Sorento Hybrid and my wireless CarPlay keeps disconnecting. It is really annoying.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorento 2021 with 10.25" head unit doesn't yet support Wireless AA oraz Wireless CarPlay. I only mentioned that it has a proper Wi-Fi module to support it in the future.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorento 2021 with 10.25" head unit doesn't yet support Wireless AA oraz Wireless CarPlay. I only mentioned that it has a proper Wi-Fi module to support it in the future.
That’s really odd. My 21 Sorento Hybrid with the 8” screen does have wireless CarPlay.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, the smaller unit does support wireless Android Auto and CarPlay. Only the bigger one in the highest trim doesn't. And yes, that's really odd. And frustrating. And unacceptable.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
413 Posts
Boy, with all the issues with Wireless AA, I'm probably better off with the 2020 Sorento and waiting for AA Wireless to get me wirelessly connected. :D

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX-Prestige X-Line
47 Posts
Does this mean that they can push through a software update in the future that would enable the wireless carplay feature? Or are we totally SOL on wireless carplay in the 2021 models with the 10.25" unit?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does this mean that they can push through a software update in the future that would enable the wireless carplay feature? Or are we totally SOL on wireless carplay in the 2021 models with the 10.25" unit?
Yes, I believe it is a matter of software update only. But it is just my assumption.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX-Prestige X-Line
47 Posts
I feel the same :)
Same... I’ve found myself just not plugging it in and using the car navigation and XM radio for now...

Wireless CarPlay would be great to just be able to slide the phone in the wireless charging spot and not have the mess of wires in the way...

I hope you are right about it being a software push!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Same... I’ve found myself just not plugging it in and using the car navigation and XM radio for now...

Wireless CarPlay would be great to just be able to slide the phone in the wireless charging spot and not have the mess of wires in the way...

I hope you are right about it being a software push!
What sucks is the 8” screen (with wireless CarPlay) doesn’t have built in Kia nav, so with the buggy unusable wireless CarPlay I have no nav options other than just running nav on my phone and letting it play instructions over Bluetooth. Guess I can prop my phone up in the center console. sigh Really hope they release a fix soon. I don’t think it is an iOS problem anymore because 14.3 didn’t fix it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts