Kia Forum banner

Wired up OEM fogs to low beam, unable to make HIDS work in FOGS/LOWS at the same time

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  kiario01 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello. I'ts been a few years since I logged in! and I'm back because I purchased an 06 Carnival/Sedona with 30k miles here in Lima, Peru. The van came from factory without fog lights, but I found a set of OEM ones in a junkyard and bought them. At the time I had factory non-HID bulbs.

I wired them directly to the main headlight harness so that they turn on at the same time as the low beams do. (I know I was supposed to do it using a relay and everything, but I wasn't sure how and did it the quick way).

Everything worked well until I got two sets of 6000k HIDs. H8 for the fogs and H11B for the low beams. When I removed the headlights... surprise! the car actually had H7 for the low beam (although online it said it uses H11B ) I made them fit anyway, it was the same configuration and worked great. Then I installed the other hid set in the fogs... for some reason nothing turned on, not even the low beam that was working well... everything was well connected on both sides. I switched ballasts, bulbs position, rechecked the connections, polarities, EVERYTHING was correct.

But here's the thing. If I disconnect the low beam hids, then the fog hids do work... If I disconnect the fogs hids, then the low beam do work. So I believe the main harness is not capable to give enough power to two ballasts on each side at the same time because they are both drawing electricity from the same "line" right?

So what should I do? if I do that connection involving a relay, would that fix my problem?? I don't know how to do it or where to buy it locally (I don't live in the states anymore). Should I buy an OEM relay or an aftermarket would do fine? if so, what kind?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
put fogs on a relay.
ballasts need extra current during startup

#6 · (Edited)
As long as the connectors were correct for the bulbs you're using I'd think either kit would be a smart addition. Copper costs money so OEM stuff is sized on the small size. As it relates to adding HIDs, IIRC draw less once running, but on start-up running them off relays is advisable.

I'd be tempted to get two sets, one for the headlights the other for the fogs as cheap as they are.

So far as how to wire. Relays are pretty simple. You use the existing OEM wiring to energize the relay, run the hot that will feed the HIDs directly to the battery, Ground the negative of the HIDS to the chassis.

Oh, You mention it's been a few YEARS since you last logged in.

POST BACK WHAT YOU END UP DOING
(Translation write a follow-up post with DETAILED info like YOU would like to run across if YOU were doing a search.)

One last thing- Details such as PART NUMBERS, any identifying logos on parts themselves /box parts came in, mfg name of parts, Seller's name is a plus... Pics of the parts /kit you use is especially important when linking to Ebay auctions.

If you don't post such 90-days down the road most E-Bay links go stale...

#7 ·
Hello. I'ts been a few years since I logged in! and I'm back because I purchased an 06 Carnival/Sedona with 30k miles here in Lima, Peru.

~snip~

So what should I do? if I do that connection involving a relay, would that fix my problem?? I don't know how to do it or where to buy it locally (I don't live in the states anymore). Should I buy an OEM relay or an aftermarket would do fine? if so, what kind?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

It's been right at a month now...

Did you get the parts you linked to?
If so which ones? Did they work out OK? You happy with the quality of the parts?

(Please post detailed info.. (Do a COPY and PASTE from the auction info, get info off the parts themselves... as Ebay links go stale in most cases in about 90-days)

Think what kind of info you'd like to see.

#8 · (Edited)
Yes, problem solved (although I got some light flickering issues while they warmp up, could be my Xentec slim ballasts). So here's the info you requested:

Seller: philipsxenon

Auction Title: Car HID Xenon Conversion Harness Fuse Relay Wire For H8/H9/H10/H11/880/881

Part number: NONE... just chinese aftermarket crap

Price: US $7.49

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160836233770?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Install guide (from auction): http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F0aqlhf-NNY

Auction Info:

H11 Wire Relay Harness for HID Installations (High Quality)

This relay was specially developed for vehicles with poor electrical systems or for new vehicles with DRL = Daytime running lights. It is used to draw power from the battery instead of the factory wiring. It still will connect to one of your factory bulb plugs and your factory light switch will work like normal.

Bulb types compatible - H8 / H9 / H10 / H11 / 880 / 881
Protects your factory wiring
For single beam HID kits only - will not work with other bulb types
Takes power directly off your battery and connects to only one of your factory bulb plugs.
If vehicle had DRL = Daytime running lights at give off LOW voltage <12V: Will may allow your kit to still turn on depending on vehicle.

Includes Fuse for circuit protection

This relay may also prevent flickering and delayed turn on of HID kits on some vehicles. We cannot predict if this relay will fix your problem, so please do not leave us poor feedback if your problem is not 100% solved. We also offer a different relay for cars with computer flickering problems in our EBAY STORE.

One relay wiring kit is only required per HID Kit

*If you have two hid kits, *Example for low/high beam, then you need to purchase another.

Warranty: 12 Months High quality replacement part at fraction of cost of dealers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.