Kia Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
1,886 Posts
Well, I lived in NW Jersey and my summer temps, on average, were much warmer than Alaska. My trips to Alaska have been for cruises and vacations up as far north as Fairbanks -- high 60's to low 70's. I looked up Albany, and average summer highs get into the low 80's. The point is that even the high summer temps in Alaska are probably OK for good snow tires. It does get cold at night, however....
Well I'm a far piece away even from Albany...try closer to Buffalo.And I have a neighbor who has family in Anchorage and is in regular contact with each other ...reporting their temps 20+ degrees warmer than what we've been getting here. They've been BAKING while we've been FREEZING...in the SUMMER!
BUT this is going WAY off topic...Not having one of the vehicles in the OP's original question, I still wonder about overall tire diameter clearance to suspension that I've posted 2x of now.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
This summer we had quite a few days here in Anchorage in the 80s and 70s which is quite warm compared to past years. Some places driving around town it got up to 86 most people here said wow. Snow tires here still have to be changed out for the summer. That's why I got the michelins. Those tires and the Sportage make the perfect Alaskan car.
And when you got that kind of weather, I was getting upper 40's to low 60's during DAYTIME hours!:eek::)

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
878 Posts
And when you got that kind of weather, I was getting upper 40's to low 60's during DAYTIME hours!:eek::)
AVERAGE high in Albany for Jun/Jul/Aug is 78/82/80. It gets as high as 95 in July. If we look at the data, I can't find any lows below 59. Buffalo is slightly cooler, but I don't see anything below 51 as the absolute lowest in July. Where do you live?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
If you look up my zip code on my signature line, you'll know. We are always cooler than Buffalo. Summer or winter...seems there's not much of the other 2 seasons around here anymore!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
878 Posts
If you look up my zip code on my signature line, you'll know. We are always cooler than Buffalo. Summer or winter...seems there's not much of the other 2 seasons around here anymore!
The climate data over time shows you very close to Buffalo and not as cold as the averages in Alaska for the months of Jun/Jul/Aug.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The "DATA" LIES! Buffalo is 60 miles away and a wholly different weather pattern. My area is so far between collection points, even weather radars are not precise. Also out in what they call the Appalachian uplands, BIG hills(not mountains) and valley's(and in one). Ilike to make amusement in my postings...BUT I don't LIE about the weather I contend with at home!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
878 Posts
The "DATA" LIES! Buffalo is 60 miles away and a wholly different weather pattern. My area is so far between collection points, even weather radars are not precise. Also out in what they call the Appalachian uplands, BIG hills(not mountains) and valley's(and in one). Ilike to make amusement in my postings...BUT I don't LIE about the weather I contend with at home!
Do they even sell Kia's where nobody lives??????? What if I told you that Vegas never really gets very hot????? I do live 2 miles from a data collection point!!!!!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Ha, Actually the nearest Kia dealer is 40 miles away to the South of menear the Pa. border(olean,NY). I do not PRETEND to know just what it's like to live in all areas of the USA,, but in my past have been to a lot of areas traveling on deployment when I was active duty USMC.
AND NOW I STOP with this USELESS CONVERSATION with you fellow member rvoll. If you think you know so much ....WHY have you NOT answered a legitimate question posted by the OP of this thread and repeated by me 2x to put this thread back "on track"! AMAZING how some people HIJACK and MORPH a thread and try to needle others!!! Go ahead thand report this !!!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
878 Posts
@MIA KIA 09 -- the point of this thread was the recommendation for using winter tires. Summer temps are extremely important if you are planning to use winter tires all year long -- which was the point I was trying to make. If this turned out "needling" you, my apologies. I intended to inject a bit of levity into the discussion. However, I don't consider discussing summer temps for winter tires to be either a "HIJACK" or "MORPH" of this thread. And yes, I've lived all over the United States from Boston to Baltimore to New Jersey to Texas to Minnesota to Los Angeles and now Vegas. And I have relatives living in Buffalo and upstate NY and have visited them many times. In addition, wheels and tires are something I've learned a lot about over the past 57 years of owning dozens of cars driven in all sorts of weather and especially tracking a number of sports cars. I also used to rebuild engines and transmissions, as a hobby, when I was younger. I lived in snow areas over 20 years of my life and have personally tried many brands of snow tires. So yeah, in this particular area of automotive knowledge, I probably know more than most. By the way, two of my kids received their degrees from that school in Happy Valley.... And I've been there many times in every season of the year....

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
NO... the MAIN question was if a certain size snow tire would fit the rims,easy answer but I threw in the question as to overall diameter clearance of such size to clear the vehicles suspension. And I qualified my posting to not have said vehicle and why my concern due to other vehicles I've owned with the largest factory dia. rims. THE THREAD WAS HIJACKED and then "morphed" into this tet a tet! LET IT DIE rvoll. Or do you really think you are sooo much better than anyone else?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts