Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sportage GT-edition CRDI 2.0 -16 // Volkswagen Passat 4-motion -17
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

I need new winter tyres for my wifes car. It´s a 2017 Sportage with the 19" original rims (have two sets winter/summer)

Today it´s 245-45-19 (95% sure).

Can i fit 255-50-19 on these? got a great deal on a new set wintertyres.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
878 Posts
Hey Guys!

I need new winter tyres for my wifes car. It´s a 2017 Sportage with the 19" original rims (have two sets winter/summer)

Today it´s 245-45-19 (95% sure).

Can i fit 255-50-19 on these? got a great deal on a new set wintertyres.
For winter tires, you want narrower tires, not wider ones. Wide winter tires act like skis on snow and hydroplane more on wet pavement. If you do go wider and want to slip on the snow, then look carefully at the profile of your tires. The 255/50 tires are bigger around than 245/45. Normally, when you go up on width, you need to go lower on profile, i.e., 255/40.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage GT-edition CRDI 2.0 -16 // Volkswagen Passat 4-motion -17
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! for a guy who lives in Las Vegas you seem to know alot about snowtyres :D

I grew up in the northern parts of sweden where snowtyres are used 6 months of the year :)

The question still remains, but i will check the other set of 19" tomorrow for the rim width.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
1,886 Posts
The TIRES(USA) will fit the rims...BIG question is will they clear the suspension parts when bolted to the car.
And from one from the snow capitol of the East Coast area of the USA being around Buffalo, NY...member rvoll is very much correct!

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX Black Cherry/Beige
285 Posts
Remember changing tire sizes affects your speedometer reading. In your example your speedo says one thing and your actual speed is faster... Compare tires using one of the many tools out there online such as https://tiresize.com/comparison/

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
878 Posts
Thanks! for a guy who lives in Las Vegas you seem to know alot about snowtyres :D
I retired to Vegas from New Jersey. And I lived in the NW part of Jersey in the country where the snow accumulates. Had to clear 400 ft of snow from the driveway to get out. Did that for 20 years or so. However, my knowledge of tires comes from many years where I tracked my cars. Many people seem to think that wider is better -- or at least more masculine. Narrower tires are much better in the snow because the pounds per square inch of contact area is greater with a smaller contact area and therefore cuts through the snow better. The Sportage doesn't have the power to necessitate a wider tire on dry pavement. In fact, wider tires on our car provides worse mpg, worse performance on wet pavement (i.e., hydroplaning) and a worse fit on our narrow rims. I'm also not a fan of lower profile tires/bigger rims on cars like ours. Lower profile tires may look better to many people, but they make the ride slightly worse. That was one of the reasons I chose an EX over the SX. Your tires are part of the suspension engineering and usually the engineers do a pretty good job of giving you the correct tire size. Out here in Vegas, going one size up maybe a slight benefit because there is virtually no rain and a slightly larger contact patch will keep tire temps slightly lower (and it does get hot here). We also run summer only tires here. The best snow tires I ever had were Nokian's -- expensive but really good. MIchelin X-Ice tires are also very good in my experience.

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
717 Posts
...The best snow tires I ever had were Nokian's -- expensive but really good...
Same here.

I use Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires (tyres oversees) on my Sorento in Canada's great white north.

Richard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah i think i have older and different model than your wife but i recommend also Nokian Hakkapelliitta suv winter tires. I have always used them. Below you can check reviews or something.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
For those with same year vehicle as the OP...
Does there seem to be enough clearance of the tire's diameter to be able to go "one size up" and still clear suspension and NOT rub?

I've had a few cars that came with factory largest optional rims(98 Avenger, 08 G6) and there is NO ROOM for a one size larger tire to fit on these cars. Hence my posting before. I was led to believe that the OP already had bought the tires in question for his.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX
28 Posts
I have used Nokia hakkapeliitta tires up here in Alaska in the past but I needed studs. The Michelin x-ice 3 tires don't need studs and I can leave them on all year but the Nokia's I had to change out every summer. I find it interesting that the Michelin Tires work just as good without studs. The data I read gave the Michelin Tires the highest ratings in all categories. I tested them last winter in snow and glare ice even at higher speeds and they are amazing.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
878 Posts
I have used Nokia hakkapeliitta tires up here in Alaska in the past but I needed studs. The Michelin x-ice 3 tires don't need studs and I can leave them on all year but the Nokia's I had to change out every summer. I find it interesting that the Michelin Tires work just as good without studs. The data I read gave the Michelin Tires the highest ratings in all categories. I tested them last winter in snow and glare ice even at higher speeds and they are amazing.
I found that the Nokian's work better on soft/slushy snow and the Michelin's work better on ice and hard snow. I've had both and they were both acceptable to me. If you are going to take any long road trips in the summer in temperatures that get above 80 degrees, I wouldn't use the Michelins in summer.

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
807 Posts
Michelin's are great tires but there is no way any snow tire can compare to a studded tire.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX
28 Posts
The Michelins are 99% there. I should know I live in solid ice and snow for 6 months of the year and have been doing so for 40 years with every conceivable type of tire known to man. Yes you're old thinking, studs used to be the best but they're not needed anymore.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
878 Posts
The Michelins are 99% there. I should know I live in solid ice and snow for 6 months of the year and have been doing so for 40 years with every conceivable type of tire known to man. Yes you're old thinking, studs used to be the best but they're not needed anymore.
In the last Car & Driver winter tire test, the Nokian's were first and X-Ice second. That was in 2015. My experience was in 2013-2015, I didn't use studs and both tires were superb. It is possible that in the last 4 years, they've both improved and that the ratings might change slightly. Temperature has a great effect on the rubber compound, and it could be in your case, at your temps, the Michelin tire had a better compound and the Nokian's were better for my temps (which would be significantly higher in NJ). If you buy either of these tires, you're probably much better off versus any others....

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX
28 Posts
In the last Car & Driver winter tire test, the Nokian's were first and X-Ice second. That was in 2015. My experience was in 2013-2015, I didn't use studs and both tires were superb. It is possible that in the last 4 years, they've both improved and that the ratings might change slightly. Temperature has a great effect on the rubber compound, and it could be in your case, at your temps, the Michelin tire had a better compound and the Nokian's were better for my temps (which would be significantly higher in NJ). If you buy either of these tires, you're probably much better off versus any others....

I read the article and their basic conclusion was the tires were equal or just about equal. The reason I went with the michelins is Costco had a super good price on them and they come with a 40000 mile tread warranty which the other snow tires do not hence (summer use). Last winter I tried numerous times to get the LX to break loose on packed snow and ice and the car stayed steady as a rock. I am really amazed at this car with these tires in the winter, it is phenomenal. Also this summer in heavy rain the car did not hydroplane and handled well.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
878 Posts
I read the article and their basic conclusion was the tires were equal or just about equal. The reason I went with the michelins is Costco had a super good price on them and they come with a 40000 mile tread warranty which the other snow tires do not hence (summer use). Last winter I tried numerous times to get the LX to break loose on packed snow and ice and the car stayed steady as a rock. I am really amazed at this car with these tires in the winter, it is phenomenal. Also this summer in heavy rain the car did not hydroplane and handled well.
Totally agree. Both are great. Snow tires almost never hydroplane no matter which one you get because the grooves are so large and they are not (or should not) be overly wide. Summer in Alaska is not the same as summer in the lower 48 (and I've been in Alaska in summer). Personally, I'd go with the one of those two that had the best price....

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
@ member rvoll:
Just where in Alaska are you talking about? It's a mighty big state, and I KNOW that many times in summer places there have been MUCH warmer temps than than where I live day for day!o_O:confused::unsure::rolleyes:

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
878 Posts
@ member rvoll:
Just where in Alaska are you talking about? It's a mighty big state, and I KNOW that many times in summer places there have been MUCH warmer temps than than where I live day for day!o_O:confused::unsure::rolleyes:
Well, I lived in NW Jersey and my summer temps, on average, were much warmer than Alaska. My trips to Alaska have been for cruises and vacations up as far north as Fairbanks -- high 60's to low 70's. I looked up Albany, and average summer highs get into the low 80's. The point is that even the high summer temps in Alaska are probably OK for good snow tires. It does get cold at night, however....

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX
28 Posts
Well, I lived in NW Jersey and my summer temps, on average, were much warmer than Alaska. My trips to Alaska have been for cruises and vacations up as far north as Fairbanks -- high 60's to low 70's. I looked up Albany, and average summer highs get into the low 80's. The point is that even the high summer temps in Alaska are probably OK for good snow tires. It does get cold at night, however....
This summer we had quite a few days here in Anchorage in the 80s and 70s which is quite warm compared to past years. Some places driving around town it got up to 86 most people here said wow. Snow tires here still have to be changed out for the summer. That's why I got the michelins. Those tires and the Sportage make the perfect Alaskan car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts