Kia Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte SX
2 Posts
Ok, I have a little bit of info to add here. I called my selling dealer today and was told that Kia has just supplied all dealers with a winter wheel package and part numbers for the Forte. The rims are 15" and fit all Fortes, even the SX with the larger brakes. Having said that, this guy also said the part number does not match any previous cars. He is pretty sure these 15" rims are unique but he would gladly do some measuring if I asked him to. I doubt these rims are anything special and I am relatively confident if we had the exact specs, we could match up some aftermarket rims which run around $20/per cheaper. They also recommend a 195/60/15 tire which is just a hair smaller than the stock 215/45/17's on the SX. This would mean your speedo reads slightly fast and your ODO clocks up KMS slightly quicker.... I would prefer a 195/65/15 which is just a hair larger than stock and has the opposite effect on the dash readings. Has anyone uncovered the exact specs required for a winter wheel yet? The only thing I have confirmed is the 5x114.3 bolt pattern. I have no Hub diameter, offset, or width.

·
Registered
Kia Forte SX / Pure white
164 Posts
Ok, I have a little bit of info to add here. I called my selling dealer today and was told that Kia has just supplied all dealers with a winter wheel package and part numbers for the Forte. The rims are 15" and fit all Fortes, even the SX with the larger brakes. Having said that, this guy also said the part number does not match any previous cars. He is pretty sure these 15" rims are unique but he would gladly do some measuring if I asked him to. I doubt these rims are anything special and I am relatively confident if we had the exact specs, we could match up some aftermarket rims which run around $20/per cheaper. They also recommend a 195/60/15 tire which is just a hair smaller than the stock 215/45/17's on the SX. This would mean your speedo reads slightly fast and your ODO clocks up KMS slightly quicker.... I would prefer a 195/65/15 which is just a hair larger than stock and has the opposite effect on the dash readings. Has anyone uncovered the exact specs required for a winter wheel yet? The only thing I have confirmed is the 5x114.3 bolt pattern. I have no Hub diameter, offset, or width.
It's funny how things differs form one dealer to another... When I test fitted the 16" Kia Soul rims, I couldn't fit a finger between the rim and the caliper. Anyway, it's good news. Too bad I already bought my 16" wheel package.

·
Registered
2010 copperhead Koup SX
23 Posts
It's funny how things differs form one dealer to another... When I test fitted the 16" Kia Soul rims, I couldn't fit a finger between the rim and the caliper. Anyway, it's good news. Too bad I already bought my 16" wheel package.
MaxD, what brand, size and profile did you wrap your wheel with???

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte SX
2 Posts
Ok, the dealer sells a winter tire/wheel package for the Forte for $900 in my area. This includes tires, rims, studs, installation, balancing, and all taxes and levies. The rims are 15" and the tires are Cooper 195/60/15. No aftermarket tire/rim dealer near me has any listing for the Forte. BUT, they do have a nice 16" Aluminum tire/rim package for the 07-09 Hyundai Elantra for around the same price. I have been told, these two vehicles are the same for tires/rims... Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
2010 copperhead Koup SX
23 Posts
Tx mikebou3 for that info!

For my Koup SX I've decide to go with 205/55R16 on steel rim (they were part of the deal when buying the car) and I will wrap then with Yoko IG20
From several review they are second after Nokian Haka.
Even some review put them first due to Nokian being so expensive.
Cost me 675$Can. tx, install,fees included, Nokian where somewhere around 1000$:huh:

·
Registered
Kia Forte SX
7 Posts
Matemorh, where did you buy your package? Can you get me their phone # and address?

Mike

·
Registered
2010 copperhead Koup SX
23 Posts
Mikebou3, it's call Pneus Éthier in Ste-Thérèse, north of Montreal (Google it).
They also have General Altimax Artic, same size, for 575$.
Those General tire have good reviews too and I might change for those!

Edit: It's for tire only!

·
Registered
Kia Forte SX
7 Posts
i looked long and hard around here and it's expensive. And after many consideration, I decided to go with Hankook W409 I*Pike on 16" rims. Which is hard to find this week, I got the last set of 4 from Quebec! All this for 950$Cdn taxes in at President Tire. I pick them for reviews vs price. Next year is my other car that I need new tires! I remember buying Dunlop Graspic tire for my 2002 Jetta for only 600$ on rims, now they want 1100$ for Graspic on rim for the Forte. Hmm double in only 6 yrs?

Ah well.

·
Registered
Forte SX
1 Posts
I went to a shop last night and had them try to physically fit a 15" multifit rim on the wheel and it wouldn't clear the brake caliper on the SX. I'd be very interested if you could pass along this part number for these wheels so I can see if my local Kia dealer has them. The initially told me that I could only drop down to a 16" rim. I have a set of 195/65/R15 Nokian WRG2's sitting in my basement that I'd love to be able to fit.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey all.

I'm not a car guy (I'm a computer/telecom/IT guy), so don't give me a hard time about dumb questions like this one!

What tire size am I looking at for the forte? My SX has the 17" but I figure I'll get some 15" rims + tires for the winter. Does anyone have the tire size for 15? Will this mess up my odo or spedo? I shouldn't have to get 17s for winter too, righT?

The SX comes with All Season tires & it FWD - so why do you need winter tires?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The SX comes with All Season tires & it FWD - so why do you need winter tires?
All Season dosn't mean that they are to be used for Winter. The compound on a winter tire is better for handeling in cold conditions. All seasons are only good from spring to fall

Snow tires take the principal of channeling water a step further. Good snow tires use a softer compound than even high performance or all-season tires, allowing them to remain more pliable in freezing temperatures, thus ensuring maximum contact with the road and much better grip on ice. In addition, the tread design allows them to dig into snow and then remove it from the tread area, again optimizing contact with the pavement. Unfortunately, these tires would not last long in warmer temperatures since the temperature of the pavement in the summer would peel the softer compound right off the carcass, so to speak. In a nutshell, that’s why we have winter-only tires.

All season tires perform well for 12 months of the year where there is no snow. However here in BC Canada other than a few areas on the coast the all season tire performs well in Spring Summer and Fall. (hence 3 seasons) However the all season tire was designed for wet and dry driving on pavement. NOT snow covered conditions. BC winters especially in the interior require snow tires that were especially designed for slippery conditions and very cold temperatures. We are not talking about just aggressive tread patterns either because snow tires are specifically designed with very soft compounds that help better grip the road during very cold weather.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you live in a climate where you get a good amount of snow then I agree with you but for me I live outside of Philly Pa and we get some snow, so I think the stock all season tires with FWD will do just fine.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts