2012 Sportage 2.0 CRDi 184hp AT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I want to buy a set of rims + winter tires and i have two options:
16" rims + 225?/70/R16 tires
17" rims + 225/60/R17 tires

And i also have two questions :)
1. Will the 16" rim get too close to the brake system and i will not be able to ballance the wheel with lead bits. I found a simmilar post but with different rims, i intend to buy the Kia 16" rims (see attachment).
2. On the 16" will i be able to mount 225 tires or should i get 215's?

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would not recommend you using 17" rims as you might have problems on turn.
Better use something close to the original rims and tires.
BTW for the winter season you may need to think over the material of the rims. For winter season that is better to use the ones which made of steel.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage 2.0 CRDi 184hp AT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your answers! I have ordered the 16" KIA rims and now looking for tires.
The only problem is that i cannot find the width of the rims, because i'm not sure if 225 tires will fit.

The model is - 3UF40AC100
Anyone can confirm that the 225 tires will fit? Or should i go with 215?

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
Is your Sportage FWD or AWD? The AWDs had bigger rotors, in which I'm not sure if the smaller wheels will clear. If you have FWD then there is no problem, go with the 16s. The 215/70/16 is the factory size, but 225/70/16s should also fit. Hopefully someone that did this will come forward.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage EX, 2002 BMW Z3 3.0i
10 Posts
My snow tire/wheels package match my Bright Silver EX very well and came from TireRack.com. They are No rubbing and can achieve 100% of steering. The EX wheels are 18" so my winter setup are slightly smaller. I prefer this due to snow and ice getting packed in the wheel wells in my area. I did forget to have TPMS installed in my winter setup.

17x7.5 Silver Painted Sport Edition A7
225/55R17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS70

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
The Sportage, & Tucson are twins, but the tire sizes are different, who knows why? :confused:

The Tucson GLS uses a stock 225/60/17" tire, & wheel
and the Tucson Limited uses a stock 225/55/18" tire, & wheel. Both of these tire sizes are extremely close in diameter, so are interchangable.

So, I would think either of these tire/wheel combo's should fit the Sportage no problem.

My new to me Sportage EX uses a stock 235/55/18" tire, & wheel, but I don't know what size tire/wheel the other models of the Sportage uses?

My previous 2005 Tucson LX used a stock 235/60/16" tire/wheel combo, the wheels were 16" X 6.5" wide. The lesser model Tucsons back then used a stock 215/65/16" tire on the same wheels as the Tucson LX. Both of these tire sizes are extremely close in overall diameter, and interchangable as well.

I hope this helps, good luck, Mike

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX, 6spd manual
184 Posts
I would not recommend you using 17" rims as you might have problems on turn.
Better use something close to the original rims and tires.
BTW for the winter season you may need to think over the material of the rims. For winter season that is better to use the ones which made of steel.
Actually aluminum rims are better than steel, especially in the winter. Still rims will rust and go out of balance and leak air. Aluminum rims are also ligher, so you'll get a better ride and better mpg.

·
Registered
200 Posts
With snow forecast for the weekend, I finally got around to fitting the winter tyres.
Standard size Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtremes on 18" Kia rims...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts