Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Kia Sportage First Edition 2.0 CRDI ,Now Changed to 2012 KIA OPTIMA 3
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, With my first winter with my Optima rapidly approaching here in uk, I was wondering if any of you guys could give me an idea how the Optima behaves in snow and ice, how well does it perform on standard tires or do I need winter tires?

·
Registered
2017 sportage sx
448 Posts
Winter tires are a good idea for any FWD car. It's not just cornering and driving traction but braking is as important.
If you have them, don't even think of keeping Nexens on.

·
Premium Member
Spicy Red Optima SX, Mazda6 Wagon
168 Posts
I put a full set of 4 Dunlop Wintersports on the stock 18" SX wheels for last winter and had absolutely no problems driving in snow, even our sloppy wet "Cascade cement".

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
From your profile pic, if that is your actual car, which tires came on the car from the factory? Here in the US all the SXs in 2012 came with Hankooks, which are pretty much useless with any amount of laying snow. The Nexens in 2011 were worse. If I had an SX and planned on driving it in the snow, I would definitely be getting winter tires.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys, Yeah that's my car and the standard fit tires on it are 18" Nexens. they don't sound they goin to cut it in the snow

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX, Corsa Blue
33 Posts
I have the Nexens on my 2011 SX. It was a pretty mild winter last year but they were fine in the snow. Had no "oh crap" moments. None of the spinning my tires aimlessly trying to go somewhere like my friend's GTI did. I did use Eco for most of the winter to cut down on throttle response.

That being said, winter tires are going to outperform all seasons in handling and stopping. And if you can spend the extra money, then I probably would.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,946 Posts
They perform in the snow like any other all season tire......

·
Registered
1983 RIV CONVERTIBLE, 2011 KIA OPTIMA SX, 2014 BUICK LACROSSE PREMIUM II
97 Posts
Better than expected

My Nexen's performed better than I expected last winter. I had read on this forum and elsewhere that they wouldn't even move on a level ground with 2" of snow, so I was expecting to have to replace them. But, they were fine. I would recommend you see how they do for you before investing in new tires. I have no big regrets.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks roadrunner#1 I think I will try them before spending money on winter ones, the weather can be a bit hit and miss over here so don't want to buy more tires unless I really need them

·
Registered
2014 Optima SXL
92 Posts
The tires that came with my Hybrid are the worst I ever rode on. They slip all the time, as soon as the ground gets a little wet. Last winter was horrible, I have lost traction at the lightest curves. In retrospect, my previous TSX had Michelins, I haven't had a single trouble in 3 years. Never got stuck in snow, never spin out of control, no matter what the weather was like. I'm in upstate NY and last winter we had the lightest snow accumulation in history. I expect to take a lot of day offs this winter.

·
Registered
2004 Honda Accord EX 6-speed
10 Posts
The tires that came with my Hybrid are the worst I ever rode on. They slip all the time, as soon as the ground gets a little wet. Last winter was horrible, I have lost traction at the lightest curves. In retrospect, my previous TSX had Michelins, I haven't had a single trouble in 3 years. Never got stuck in snow, never spin out of control, no matter what the weather was like. I'm in upstate NY and last winter we had the lightest snow accumulation in history. I expect to take a lot of day offs this winter.
Can I ask what tires they come with?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts