Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally had to replace mine, and I got regular blades. As you know, the factory blade has an airfoil to keep the blade on the glass at road speeds. It turns out that this is required. I kept my original blade, so I got it out and checked to see if the airfoil could be transferred to the new blade - it couldn't, at least without some fabrication.
I have tried the new 'beam' blades on my previous Saturn VUE (twice) and never had any luck with them (7 or 8 years ago) as they would not flatten out enough to wipe the center of the path, so I returned them both times.
Evidently, this type of blade has been perfected, because I just put a pair on and entered wiper heaven. Smooth, quiet and they wipe the whole path clean even at freeway speeds. I picked the Trico brand because they were on special at Autozone. I think most all brands are made so the beam functions as an airfoil, but check that before buying. The beam simply has an inside curve on both sides, so you can't mount it wrong in regard to the airfoil function.
And, they look great on the Sportage while seeming to restrict visibility less than the standard type when they're working. We're still stuck with the factory replacement on the rear, though.
So, even though the two cost $29 after the discount, I'm happy that I finally get to use beam wipers.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage EX
40 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I have had the factory, bosch, and now rainx...all three stutter across the windshield. I am looking forward to trying something that may actually work!

·
Registered
2011 Sportage, 2007 GTI, 2000 Firehawk
138 Posts
Goodyear has the new style wipers at Costco for about $7.99 each. At one point they had buy one get one free. Got a set on all of my cars. They look and work very well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is my search for the best wiper blades:

For years I was buying the Valvoline Aquablade for $14 each (Zellers in Canada) which worked great. I've also have previously purchased the Viewmax Plus at Walmart for $18 which performed adequately. My last wiper change I switched to the Michelin Stealth at Costco which were on sale for $8.99 each (again, in Canada). They both performed fantastic and when my factory blades wear out, I'll be putting a set on my Sportage.

The rear window is rather strange in that you can only replace the blade insert, but I guess there isn't a need for an aerodynamic blade on the back. When I'm out driving I often see newer cars with missing rear wiper arms, and my only guess is the car's owner didn't RTFM before ripping off the wiper arm in an attempt at removing the blade.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage AWD EX w/ Premium................. 2012 Kia Rio SX w/ Premium
171 Posts
I agree...Rain-x were terrible. They worked great on my last vehicle but not for the Sportage. They wouldn't wipe shit over 50 mph. I know that Valeo has a few sets of wipers that were designed specifically to keep them against the windshield at highway speeds.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
The combination of Aquapel windshield treatment and Rain X Latitude windshield wipers have been pretty good for me.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
I bought the cheapest blades I could find, no air foil, works just fine.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
I do the same, they last for at least a year, for like $3.00 each. :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
I went by ConsumerReports recommendations; they picked Rain-X Lattitude, IIRC.

I like the beam style too, since they look nice and aerodynamic, and have worked well for me. The first generation of them may have been worse. I haven't tried the incredibly cheap beam wipers, but they are tempting, since Lattitude gets expensive over many vehicles.

Good wipers are a fantastic yet inexpensive safety upgrade :)

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what I always have done, but when I tried that on the Sportage, the driver's side wiper skipped at road speed. The airfoil wouldn't attach to it so I had to find something else. You're lucky if you can get by with the regular blades on your Sportage. But hey, now it looks like you can find deals on the beam blades for almost the same price as the regulars. You should try a set if you can find a deal - it's worth it.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
That's what I always have done, but when I tried that on the Sportage, the driver's side wiper skipped at road speed. The airfoil wouldn't attach to it so I had to find something else. You're lucky if you can get by with the regular blades on your Sportage. But hey, now it looks like you can find deals on the beam blades for almost the same price as the regulars. You should try a set if you can find a deal - it's worth it.
Oddly enough, I used to buy the blade style wipers for other vehicles. I needed some new wipers one day, figured I would try what you did and that was attach the airfoil to the new ones, no dice. I gave up and said screw it, forgot about it (since I walk to work, my car sits in the garage all the time). Went to drive up to see family, never having swapped the old ones back on and BAM, everything worked fine at highway speeds. No skipping or chattering. Besides, odds are that if the wipers are in use, I am going a little slower than normal anyway. But hey, whatever works.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been using the Bosch Icon series. Work great. More expensive, but worth it.
Agree, real good blades and E-Bay has them for $18 each w/shipping.

I use the Anco rubber-booted winter ones for snow and ice time of year - not because the Bosch don't work but it is kind of easy to ding them with the snow brush and ice scraper.

To buy a set of Bosch for the rest of the year is a good idea if you get a lot of tree sap droppings, bugs, morning dew and road mud.

Know anywhere to get them for under the E-Bay price?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts