Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had removed all the snow off the top of my Sorento but when I braked on the highway, a bunch of ice fell on the wipers. then the wipers made a buzzing sounds and wouldn't move. I'm at the dealer and they said that I'm the 11th car that had their wipers broken because they had too much snow on their car.

My question is if there is a way to fix this problem. Is there a stronger wiper motor and stalk I can replace the stock ones with? I will try to make sure that there isn't too much snow on the car but I'm not the main driver of the Sorento and the main driver may forget.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,506 Posts
Sorry they don't make stonger wiper motors for any cars that I've ever heard of. Just have to be more carefull. What part of the world do you live in?? Boston bilzzard?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Long Island. That's too bad. I have a sonata and I think it has similar wipers. I guess it's just where Hyundai/Kia cut corners.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I wouldn't say it's cutting corners. We had a lot of heavy/wet snow. You need to make sure it's all off the glass BEFORE you engage the wipers. I've had friends who have broken the motor and/or transmission arm on different makes of vehicles because of this. Those wipers aren't designed to overcome many pounds of force required to move or break free from ice and heavy snow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're right. Cutting corners was the wrong thing to say. I meant to say that they didn't use the best wiper motor. I used to have Audis and VWs before the Sorento and never had a problem. I also cleaned the snow off. I guess there was a layer of ice I missed that slid down when I braked.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
You're right. Cutting corners was the wrong thing to say. I meant to say that they didn't use the best wiper motor. I used to have Audis and VWs before the Sorento and never had a problem. I also cleaned the snow off. I guess there was a layer of ice I missed that slid down when I braked.
My dad was borrowing my A6 and broke the wiper motor a couple of years ago during an ice storm in CT. When the wipers are stuck to the glass or when you've got big chunks of ice sliding down from the roof, it can apply a tremendous amount of force to those wiper arms and the motor. They're just not designed to encounter that amount of resistance.

Best,

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,506 Posts
My dad was borrowing my A6 and broke the wiper motor a couple of years ago during an ice storm in CT. When the wipers are stuck to the glass or when you've got big chunks of ice sliding down from the roof, it can apply a tremendous amount of force to those wiper arms and the motor. They're just not designed to encounter that amount of resistance.

Best,
I've worked for a few diff car companys..being in Mighigan all my life, we see plenty of snow and ice....I've seen many, many diff cars and trucks come in with broke wiper linkage, arms, and motors.
As Sauron has said; they are not designed to handle being frozen to the windshield, and or, lifing many pounds of snow or ice. Wipers are designed to remove rain water, thats all!

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX AWD I4, 2003 Jeep Rubicon, 2009 Ford Exployer & 3 other 4-wheel drive vehicles
42 Posts
I learned the hard way. Was in a hurry last year after a snow storm and had about 10 inches of snow on roof that I failed to remove. It had been warming up and went down a steep hill when 1250 lbs of snow came sliding over my windshield. Lucky no one was behind or in front of me. Could not see at all. I now faithfully remove all snow. The roofline of the Sorento slopes just right for an avalanche to happen. Tweaked the windshield arms but was able to reset to proper position.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts