Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX+ HB, MT, Silver
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Kia Rio is doing something I've never had happen in all of my cars.
It's been dry here in Ottawa, Canada pretty much all summer so far. HOT too. However we have had rain once or twice. Both times it has rained, the temp outside of course drops a bit. My car's windshield fogs up like crazy. If I turn on the a/c defrost, the inside clears up fairly fast, however (and this is the crazy part) the outside of the windshield fogs. I wipe with the wipers it goes away, then seconds later its back. Even after the rain stops, and an hour or two later, it continues to fog uncontrollably. Even with defrost on (or off) its continuous. I pulled over and got out of the car two hours after it rained, and actually watch the condensation appear on the outside of windshield. The inside was fine.
Any ideas why, or how to stop that?

I get the inside fogging, all of my cars have had that during humid/temp changes after rain, but never on the outside, and never lasting more than a few seconds.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
If the window is colder than the outside temp, it will fog on the outside until the temp equilizes. This is why there are warnings about using cold AC in defrost mode on a hot, humid day.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX+ HB, MT, Silver
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I understand that. The thing is, I've had many cars in the past, all in the same climate and this car fogs worse than anything I've had before. Now that it's getting slightly colder (im talking a few degrees) it's constantly fogged. I have to open the windows, or put on the heat. If I stop doing that. within 30 seconds fully fogged again. I'm a little worried because this will only increase when the fall really kicks in and the temp in the morning will be actually cold. I've been able to control the fogging on every car I've ever had, with ease. A no brainer. This car doesn't seem to want to cooperate. Its really frustrating now. The vents seem clear, and the fans seem to work fine, yet, drop the temp a few degrees and the windshield stays misted until it gets warmer outside. I'm out if ideas.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,515 Posts
this can happen on any vehicle under the right conditions and comparing it to past ones means nothing as there is no way you would know that the weather conditions are absolutely identical, unless you was testing it in a lab.

Try adjusting the heat temperature knob when you have the a/c on so that it doesn't blast so cold, as was mentioned its the difference between inside and outside temperature that's causing it and the faster you travel under these conditions the quicker it will happen. You probably notice its worse at the lower part of the windshield. a/c helps in removing inside moisture and also reread your owners manual covering the full operation of your a/c and heating system so you are well aware of its capabilities.

Also when this happens you will also notice your outside mirrors fog up, turning on the mirror heaters solves that real quick.

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
147 Posts
This problem existed on my old Kia, but more inside than outside but still it was an issue that came and went.

Here is my theory. Some Kia's have an iron block vs. aluminum. My old Kia had iron. Iron blocks produce more heat and cool down slower. It seems that excessive heat would escape through various vents and and eventually into the cabin area and near the windshield vents. I had tried all kinds of A/C settings but the problem persisted and then went away. Wasn't as drastic as yours but it was there and based on others in these forums I new it wasn't unique to my car.

Kia quietly addressed this fogging issue by updating the 2013 Forte with a rather unique auto defog sensor on the top windshield. Since then it has worked like a charm never once seeing any fogging issues. I guess the sensor Pre-empts any extreme temperature changes and this counters with the exact amount of cooling.

I believe your problem is part climate and part heat escape sourced from the engine. For whatever reason, the venting setup in your car (and others) is making it harder than usual to find the no fog equilibrium.

Take your car to the dealer and see if there can better insulate against heat escape or redirect it somehow. Who knows there might be a misaligned vent way or something.

Failing that, there is always a anti-fog stick you can buy and spread it all over the windshield and this will help lots but not the best solution.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just bought a 2013 kia rio for my daughter saturday the 22nd and her car has done this twice. I am using the vent but felt the defroster vents and there is cold air escaping them. I've driven it at night only and is definitely a hazard for a young driver. Will take to dealer tomorrow.

P.S. I have a 2011 Kia Sorento and I felt the defrost vents this morning using my a/c and there is no air escaping them.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
You can change the defroster/defogger to manual.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position
2. Turn the mode selection know to the defrost position
3. Push the air intake control button at least 5 times within 3 seconds

The indicator light in the air intake control button will blimk 3 times with 0.5 second of interval. It indicates that the defogging logic is canceled.

This is a part from the owners manual. Basically, it allows you to turn off the AC when in defogging mode. The default setting does not allow that. It does not even indicate that the AC is on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having this problem also, I work graveyards and dread the rain due to this problem. I don't understand it at all.

I tried several things and all come up with the same result.

I tried opening all of the windows on a wet day with no rain and the front windshield fogs, I tried on all 4 speed settings with just cold air and NO A/C. I turn on the A/C and it all goes away. I don't want it hot and I don't want to freeze. I turn the A/C on and now its on the outside.

I don't understand why I need A/C on all the time, all year long. Its driving me insane. I don't want to be cold in the winter! If the A/C is on and all is clear I then have condensation on the outside of my windows then I cannot see out my front window unless I have the wipers on (not raining, looks stupid) and I also cannot see out my side windows due to the condensation on the outside of the windows.

I am ready to sell...

Oh yeah and its a 2013 Kia Rio5, anyone know how to fix this.

Also I tried changing it to manual and it doesn't work.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Forte5 SX, 2017 KIA Sportage EX Lux, 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE 2m6
77 Posts
Using the steps LA-Foal mentioned you can change the A/C to be a manual option while using the defog selector.

When you use the defog or defog/vent option, the A/C turns on. This has been the case for many cars for many years - nothing new!

The reason is that the air going through the A/C compressor/condenser comes our 'dry', and thus can pickup moisture and defog the windshield.
You can change the temperature setting to warm/hot while using the defog options and it will still work properly.. This way you won't freeze in winter while using the defog. This way you're passing warm/hot, dry air over the windshield - will remove the fog MUCH quicker... and not cause condensation on the outside.

The steps LA-Foal mentioned let you turn off the A/C compressor while in the defog option - thus still blowing air to the windshield, but not using the A/C compressor.
For me, when I choose the defog, the AC comes on, I can then press the A/C button and it goes off. I can feel that slight change in engine stress when the compressor is on, so I know it's not just the light turning on/off.
I wish it was like my previous Elantra, where I had complete control over the A/C - and could turn it on when I wanted.

Sorry for what seems like a rant.. but contemplating selling a car you just bought because of a simple thing like this makes me cry inside.

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
147 Posts
I will add one thing. Ensure you select fresh air NOT recirculated air when defogging. Also, disabling the auto climate control might be better in terms of tweaking the right combination. Kia believe's having the compressor constantly on is best but more times than not it isnt. Not only will yoi use more fuel but you lose any way of controling the amount of AC to use.

The cause in your case is likely heat seepage from the engine bay. I find Kia's to have poor heat management. Also, pop your hood and make sure the rubber insulation / liner is there and properly secured.

Good luck.

·
Registered
Kia Soul, Dodge PU and Harley Fat Boy
1 Posts
Folks, those of you with humidity showing on the inside of your windshield here's what I found on our 2011 Soul.

IF....you don't change your interior vent filter, it gets clogged up. When that happens, the humidity stays inside with your windows tightly shut. Mostly happens during the evening and when you come out in the morning, it looks like someone sprayed the inside of the windshield with water. Side windows too.

Changing your interior vent filter is easy to do yourself. Save yourself some money and do that. Otherwise, you'll have to pay someone else to turn a phillips screw driver for you. That's the only tool you need.:D

I don't have the YouTube link for you to look at to see how it's done so do a search for it.

Don't be intimidated by the instructions. Search for them as well.

You have to remove your glove box door, and the inside of the glovebox itself to get at the filter.

There's two little tab locks on it if I remember correctly that you unlatch one and hold the other one back while removing the filter.

AutoZone, Advanced Auto and others like them sell the filter. approximately $10 USD?

Reverse the order in which you removed everything and you'll be very happy that you saved yourself at least an hours labor cost at a dealer.

Good luck.

Oh, by the way, it did solve my wet windshield on the inside.

If I'm not mistaken, in the owners manual it explains why you need to replace it. In trouble shooting I think.

Coaster...................out.

·
Registered
13 Rio SLS Man
103 Posts
Fogging on the OUTSIDE of your windshield is a symptom of how well the AC works and how it blows air onto the inside of the glass.
If COLD air is blowing onto the inside then fog can accumulate on the outside. Cure is simple, adjust the temp slightly warmer so to decrease the temp differential.

·
Registered
Rio5
15 Posts
I've been having this issue on and off for a while now and I still haven't been able to figure it out. What's happening is that it seem the defogger vent right under the windshield in side the car stays constantly open or partially open, allowing the air to seep through even when you have the knob set to front vent only and condensation begins to form on the outside of the windshield. It is not that the heat from the engine is coming up from the hood and fogging the windshield. I know that on older model vehicles, the vent controls were done by vacuum. I don't think that's the case. I will try to change the setting to manual as recommended. It is quite annoying, specially since I live in Florida where the humidity is constant and even the slightest bit of cold air on the windshield, it starts to fog up. I will see what happens with the manual change.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 EX
3 Posts
Ice cold beer on hot humid day

Hi everyone, just like the person said in below quote. Also likely all cars since 1995 (at least what I've noticed) does leave some air out the other vents but the concentration of air flow is directed based on the selection you choose (so no perfect seal). Keep in mind that the interior moisture is climate controlled by the heat or cold you select. If the air is too cold it will cause glass surface to become cold (a/c on inside). If it is a hot humid day, the water molecules will collect on cold surfaces causing instant fog on exterior of glass. Resolution, turn down a/c or add some heat to the mix so air blowing on window will warm the glass.

Ever tried to thaw frozen meat on glass surface (table), the underside becomes fogged up due to condensation (moisture in the room). Same phenomenon... LOL, ice cold beer out on a hot day. Enjoy the beer, just don't drive right away.

Fogging on the OUTSIDE of your windshield is a symptom of how well the AC works and how it blows air onto the inside of the glass.
If COLD air is blowing onto the inside then fog can accumulate on the outside. Cure is simple, adjust the temp slightly warmer so to decrease the temp differential.

·
Registered
2014 Forte 5
1 Posts
We just bought a 2013 kia rio for my daughter saturday the 22nd and her car has done this twice. I am using the vent but felt the defroster vents and there is cold air escaping them. I've driven it at night only and is definitely a hazard for a young driver. Will take to dealer tomorrow.

P.S. I have a 2011 Kia Sorento and I felt the defrost vents this morning using my a/c and there is no air escaping them.
skh40s and FoRio are the only ones who seem to grasp the problem.

I have a 2014 Forte5, which I just love, but the windshield fogs on the outside down at the base when driving with a/c on. The problem is directly proportional to the heat and humidity prevailing outside. Cold air constantly chills the windshield from the inside, which causes warm moist air to condense on the outside.

This might be expected when the selector switch is set to defog or split modes, but when the selector is set to vent, floor, or split between vent and floor, there should be no air on the windshield. No matter where you position the selector, there is always some air on the windshield. This is a flaw in design or function, and has nothing to do with engine heat, iron blocks, cabin air filters, cabin air temperature settings, or disabling the a/c compressor for defrost mode.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts