Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I recently got my car back from the shop. The rear bumper was replaced, along with the sensor on the left side, some of the mount stuff underneath, the fender molding on that side. Very minor damage to the quarter panel (did not even see it until daylight) and small damage to the hatch where the "Sorento" insignia lives. Maybe an inch or so. Minor. (OK, over $6500 but still minor).

Now I notice when driving into the setting sun the entire windshield "lights up", as if it had a diffuser on it, except for one squarish area on the passenger side, maybe 4" X 4" which is perfectly clear.

I tired Windex, which had no effect, then non-acetone nail polish remover, still no effect. The square clear area remains everything else has that cloud when the sun hits it.

Now it looks like the problem may be internal. There is no apparent damage to the windshield, so:

1. Could the impact have cause the layers to separate, even though there was no damage?
or
2. Could the heat in the paint shop have caused it?

or
3. Is is possibly a factory defect?

Anyone have any ideas? I don't really know where to go from here, but it is dangerous to drive this way in the evening, and IF the layers are separating, it is downright dangerous since it means it is no longer safety glass.\

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been trying to research. It is a haze, but there is an area that does not have it.
Some people have reported OVERSPRAY on their windshield from the paint shop.
Not sure how this is possible since the front was not sprayed, only the quarter panel and hatch,
Possibly they used a spray wax on the entire car. Will have to (very carefully) try some acetone.

·
Registered
306 Posts
A body shop got over spray on my car glass on a car I had years ago and they had to buff the glass to get it off. Take it back to the body shop and make them correct it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A body shop got over spray on my car glass on a car I had years ago and they had to buff the glass to get it off. Take it back to the body shop and make them correct it.
I have a feeling you are correct. Maybe clearcoat. But how the hell does it get on the windshield when the paint was the quarter panel and hatch?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a feeling you are correct. Maybe clearcoat. But how the hell does it get on the windshield when the paint was the quarter panel and hatch?
It occurs because people are sloppy can't manage to do their jobs correctly. If proper care was taken and the glass and other parts of the vehicle were covered with plastic sheets and taped up like it should have been, this wouldn't have happened. Some people just don't take pride in their jobs.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out to be overspray!
Acetone had no effect, so I took a single edge razor to it. Came right off.
Here is what it looked like. This is the only part of the windshield that was not covered:

This is a very very good shop. From my research, this seems to be a common issue, and it is because the overspray is all over the paint booth and even the shop.
Anyway, all fixed now, but what a PITA. You can only do this at sunset (sunrise) or by flashlight at an angle, otherwise you could not see it to get it all off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts