Kia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival EX+
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were driving our new Carnival on the highway when our windshield was struck by a rock, resulting in a tiny chip. Before we even had a chance to pull off the road, (within a minute) the chip had created a crack that just kept getting bigger. We're now dealing with a good 14" crack as opposed to a tiny chip that could have been repaired.

After calling a windshield repair company, we found out that they had just repaired someone else's Carnival windshield that had done the exact same thing - which has prompted us to look for others that have had the same issue. At $2400 for the windshield glass alone, it's not a small fix.

Has anyone else had this issue yet? Are we looking at another known defect by Kia that continues to be released on new vehicles (like on the Tellarude)?

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
817 Posts
I'm just gonna throw in wild guess why the crack spread - may be car body flex or stress on glass to begin with or AC running while high temp outside?
$2400 sounds like you don't have glass insurance, why? Last time a few years back I had one replaced with $300 deductible it cost me only $200 due to a deal with glass installer who was a mobile one to boot, they came to me and I saw whole process and they did more than they had to replacing some plastic trim clips too.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
920 Posts
Glass insurance? My insurance covers glass under the comprehensive coverage. Also, $2400 is absurd! A new windshield for my Sorento is $462.50. If installation is $2000, they're getting a lot of money for less than an hour's work.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
817 Posts
Yeah, it should be part of 'comprehensive' with deductible for glass.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
471 Posts
$2400CDN for a windshield suggests that this is what an insurance company would pay, vs what a consumer would pay. That said, if the windshield has all the cameras, sensors, heating elements, etc. and it being a brand new model, could make this more expensive as well.

·
Registered
920 Posts
The cameras sensors, etc. aren't in the glass, they're behind the glass. Since a windshield is a very common replacement item, it would be stupid to integrate a bunch of expensive stuff into such a fragile item. There are pricing variations for stuff like automatic defog sensing, but that's minor as the actual sensor is not part of the windshield but a separate part.

I can't imagine the 2021 is that much different than my 2020, the quote I see for a 2021 windshield is cheaper than the one I posted for the 2020.

I also seriously doubt that any insurance company that plans on staying in business would pay such a ridiculous price for a windshield replacement! Insurance companies typically pay considerably less for most claims than you would without insurance.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Carnival SX, Astra Blue
15 Posts
Get another quote, but it probably doesn't matter if your insurance company is paying for it anyway. The actual price for a carnival windshield replacement without the heating elements should be around 1,000 US dollars.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX 3.3
19 Posts
My comprehensive has paid for several over the years with no deductible. You might want to call your agent if you haven't already.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I thought a windshield was about 300$ ! I plan on changing one on my corolla.. its 3rd ;)

·
Registered
920 Posts
Obviously the OP was a drive-by poster, he never came back. :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts