Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sportage has been basically trouble free. There were a couple of rattles, but now they are gone except for the passenger visor. However, I'm now losing window washer fluid. Anyone else have this problem? The issue is that most of the fluid lines are hidden and I can't see any where any leak is coming from. I don't have the equipment to put the system under pressure, so I guess I'll just go to the dealer.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
766 Posts
put red dye in the reservoir and then check the lines / under the vehicle until you find where it is dripping down. Might help locate the issue.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Already checked the reservoir and no leaks. Red dye would help if I could see any drips underneath the car. I think it is a small leak in one of the cavities where the hoses are hidden. It is then dripping inside and drying out before it leaks to the floor. I'm in Vegas and evaporation is almost instantaneous. If I find out where the drip is, I'll let you guys know.

·
Registered
857 Posts
There will be unions in the line like where it goes into the cowl area and also under the cowl grille - these are always the first places to look. Wait, are you seeing lower fluid in the reservoir between uses of the washer? That means its not a pressure leak so it has to be under the reservoir. Can you reach under it to look for wet tubing? Might be just piece that is not fully made onto the fitting.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There will be unions in the line like where it goes into the cowl area and also under the cowl grille - these are always the first places to look. Wait, are you seeing lower fluid in the reservoir between uses of the washer? That means its not a pressure leak so it has to be under the reservoir. Can you reach under it to look for wet tubing? Might be just piece that is not fully made onto the fitting.
It is leaking right underneath the reservoir so it is either a connection, a cracked tank, or a broken hose. Unfortunately, we have the plastic underpanel which hides all of this and is a pain to take off if you don't have a lift. It's probably an easy fix, but my best guess is a cracked tank, and hence, it should be under warranty. I don't want to mess with it in that case because of the warranty. I just can't see it be a hose or connection issue as it was fine the first couple of years... I'll go into the dealer on Monday.... If it were not under warranty, I'd jack up the car and do it myself....

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it turns out the problem was that the washer motor and pump were leaking. They were replaced under warranty at no charge. They also noticed that the battery was corroded and they replaced that under warranty as well. I guess Kia warranties have some real value.....

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX AWD
68 Posts
My Sportage seems to have developed the same leak problem.
It's about due for its check up, so it will get looked at soon by the service dept.

I hope this second leak instance doesn't cause a stampede owners to dump their KIAs ;)

·
Registered
857 Posts
Kind of odd to see this from the warm part of the country although I realize that it can freeze in both locations during the winter. Typically the problem would be caused by having fluid in the reservoir of insufficient resistance to freezing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for posting i am having the same issue on my 2017 sx awd sportage . After I use it while driving will be blue puddle next morning under washer fluid resivoir. Curious how it corroded your battery as mine is located on opposite side of battery? My leak/puddle seems to be located under canister near front passenger wheel. Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for posting i am having the same issue on my 2017 sx awd sportage . After I use it while driving will be blue puddle next morning under washer fluid resivoir. Curious how it corroded your battery as mine is located on opposite side of battery? My leak/puddle seems to be located under canister near front passenger wheel. Thanks
The battery issue was completely separate from the leak. They noticed it because they disconnected the battery for the repair. My leak was in the same place. I thought it was the reservoir, but was wrong. It's all fine now.

·
Registered
2017 sportage
1 Posts
Apparently there is a known design defect with Kia windshield washer pumps. They develop a crack a slowly leak fluid. Is Kia providing any extra warranty coverage for this design defect? My 2017 sportage has 81,500 miles. Suspect the leak started prior to 75,000 miles.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage EX w/Tech
8 Posts
Always good to hear happy endings. And especially when it gives KIA credit for standing by their warranty. I've had to mud wrestle some dealerships over the years for what should have been simple fixes under warranty (including a windshield washer fluid leak--but I'll spare the details...other than to say it was my wife's Mazda and fortunately that was the only issue in 6 years of ownership. We traded it for the 2020 Sportage).

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
377 Posts
Well, it turns out the problem was that the washer motor and pump were leaking. They were replaced under warranty at no charge. They also noticed that the battery was corroded and they replaced that under warranty as well. I guess Kia warranties have some real value.....
Thanks for this post. When other members tanks (including mine) start leaking at least they know where to focus their attention too.
Most likely a poor design by a tier two vendor who supplies the components to Kia.
Hopefully someone at Kia makes note of these types of threads and forwards them onward to Kia Vehicle Line Executives for corrective action!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
18 Posts
Had the same issue couple months back. More recently, my front passenger window failed twice within a week., motor and pulley replaced per warranty.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage
2 Posts
I have been reading the Sportage forum for a while without becoming a member. This thread really hits home.

My washer quit spraying.

The normal spray became a 1/2" splatter, then nothing, even upon multiple tries. Thinking that I had ran low of washer fluid, I added nearly a gallon of tap water to fill the reservoir. Still no spray.

So I made an appointment and drove the 12 miles to the Kia dealer where I purchased the vehicle in November of 2018.

The service writer indicated that the dealership had replaced defective washer pumps that were split along the seam and the repair would take approximately an hour and be covered under warranty.

After approximately an hour, the same gentleman found me in the waiting area and sat down to talk. According to him, the pump was OK; however, what the mechanic found was a clogged line. And the repair WAS NOT under warranty as I had added a "high detergent" windshield washer fluid. But, he would only charge me for 1/2 hour billable service, $64.00.

Knowing that I signed a consent to service which is enforceable by a mechanic's lien, I had no choice but to approve the repair.

I told him I had never added ANY fluid of any type until the sprayer quit working. In fact, the only maintenance, other the pre-delivery service that has been done on my 9000 mile Sportage has been two oil / filter changes, including topping off the fluids, performed by his dealership.

Obviously being somewhat tactful, he told me that I must be mistaken.

I have made my thoughts know to Kia corporate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts